Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-14-2001, 05:55 AM   #1
M54TU Schnitzer
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to M54TU Schnitzer
ECU Upgrade, any suggestions?

Hi everyone

I want to get software upgrade for my 330, there are some out there in the market now. And many more choices are becoming available soon. Anyone have suggestions on which is good and which is not?

How about ActiveAutowerke ECU upgrade or Jim Confroti Shark Injector?
Anybody have either one on their bimmer?

thanx,
Frank M54TU Schnitzer
M54TU Schnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 11:20 AM   #2
Bliss
Administrator

I think M52 ALPINA has the shark injector, maybe he can enlighten us about the shark injector. As for other software upgrades, i was looking into the dinan one. I've heard nothing but positive things about them...except for them to be a bit pricey. I know the software upgrade works well for the 330's, but doesnt make a whole lot of difference for the 325. Well hope it helps. Try www.dinanbmw.com

For maXbimmer decals, please email info@maxbimmer.com
Bliss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 02:55 PM   #3
M54TU Schnitzer
2nd Gear Member

Thanx

Hey, Thanx for the help.

M52TU is my buddy, so I've talk to him already. He is very satisfy with his shark injector. I was just wondering if anyone using other ECU upgrade besides shark injector.

http://www.activeautowerke.com/dyno/...nan%20Chip.asp

check this out... dyno for Dinan.
Hope it helps.

Frank M54TU Schnitzer
Old 12-14-2001, 03:06 PM   #4
M52_Alpina
3rd Gear Member

NO!!! don't get Dinan

i recall seeing a dyno graph of a E36 M3 registering a ONE hp increase with the Dinan chip.. thats is totally unacceptable.. with that money you can get a Jim C. chip from TMS or AA's own tuning chip.. and gurantees horsepower gains... (i don't work for them ) i would strongly suggest the shark injector if anyone is looking for ECU upgrade.. i remember the moment when i take my newly sharked 328 out for a spin.. first impression is that the car has a much much stronger acceleration (according to my butt dyno).. and the flat spot from 3000 to 4500~ rpm is totally gone.. and the 7000rpm redline is very useful for accelerating through every gear and especially when you are drag racing another car at the stop light (don't ask me how i know )
M52_Alpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 03:31 PM   #5
Bliss
Administrator

Re: NO!!! don't get Dinan

Quote:
Originally posted by M52_Alpina
i recall seeing a dyno graph of a E36 M3 registering a ONE hp increase with the Dinan chip.. thats is totally unacceptable.. with that money you can get a Jim C. chip from TMS or AA's own tuning chip.. and gurantees horsepower gains... (i don't work for them ) i would strongly suggest the shark injector if anyone is looking for ECU upgrade.. i remember the moment when i take my newly sharked 328 out for a spin.. first impression is that the car has a much much stronger acceleration (according to my butt dyno).. and the flat spot from 3000 to 4500~ rpm is totally gone.. and the 7000rpm redline is very useful for accelerating through every gear and especially when you are drag racing another car at the stop light (don't ask me how i know )
Thats the first bad thing i've heard from them. other than the price.

For maXbimmer decals, please email info@maxbimmer.com
Bliss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 01:07 PM   #6
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
hmmmm

Hard to say, b/c i read a post on www.radismotorsports.com
about an article in regards with the shark injector used on an E36 M3. For some reason, the owner of this wasn't too happy, but it seems that he only had that one piece of upgrade on his car and nothing else (if i can remember)
Please check out this url and see his write up.
http://www.radismotorsports.com/dyno.html

Anyhow, I may be wrong, but do you really expect big gains from just an ECU upgrade chip? From what I've heard, you got to do more than that. I know your car has a Dinan intake, M54, so if you can afford it, why not go for the Dinan Stage II or Stage III if they have it for the E46's? CMT from dtmpower had a write up and said he was pretty happy about it. I forgot what's included in each stage, but I guess you gotta browse their website to find out more about their products. I just know for the E36's, the Stage II or III came with a larger throttle body (i think), reprogramed chip and a couple more goodies. Sorry I forgot what the rest were.
Old 12-15-2001, 05:34 PM   #7
M52_Alpina
3rd Gear Member

um..

328DTM, it is hard to say which software is the best.. it is greatly dependent on one's expectations.. for me, i wasn't expecting a great increase in horsepower from a chip.. but it turns out that it is slightly above my expectations.. Dinan is a well known brand (well known for their price too) but does it mean that it is the best?? i don't believe in brand name products.. all i care is a product's functionality.. i known that Dinan has a stage II software that comes with a overbored throttle body for 328 M52 engines, but does it get rid off the "bottle neck" of the M52 engines.. , an overbored throttle body just does not work, it is like giving a bigger nose to the engine but forcing it to breath through its small lung... may be i am wrong... may be Dinan has good software for M54 or M52TU engines.. but for M52.. i think they are just totally off...
Old 12-15-2001, 09:12 PM   #8
M54TU Schnitzer
2nd Gear Member

no Dinan

I will go for either AA or shark injector, but definitely not Dinan, too. I posted the dyno with 1hp increase above. Couple of my friends are using the shark injector, they all like it and recommand it to me as well. Dinan products are too pricey. If their products can give me impressive hp/torque gain, I don't mind to buy it even if it's too expensive, but the fact is they aren't.
sorry if I offend anyone that are using dinan products.

M54TU Schnitzer
Old 12-15-2001, 09:36 PM   #9
M52_Alpina
3rd Gear Member

moreover,..

me, Frank and our buddies (also have shark injector) did a "real world - stop lights drags and rolling starts" test and we are very pleased with the result... sharked cars are actually faster... every mods that we put into our car, we will test it out right away and see if it does make a difference...
Old 12-15-2001, 10:34 PM   #10
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
hmm

Alright, well you guys got a point going on there. I personally don't own those parts either so I can't argue over anything. But I just wanted to share with you what some other thought, but it doesn't mean that they are right either. Anyways thanks for the info though about the Shark injector!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: