Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-16-2016, 10:43 PM   #1
Mustachio
1st Gear Newbie

E30 epidemic?

I'm not sure if it's me or has the world, Canada for sure, gone mad over these old bimmers.

I understand that me looking for one recently might've brought some things into focus, but never have I seen prices like I see today. Even in the last couple of years when I casually browsed the Internet to see what's available the prices seemed to be tamer. But now even if it overpriced it's gone within a few days

Last edited by Mustachio; 02-16-2016 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Content didn't quite reflect the title
Mustachio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:19 PM   #2
Bimmer Heaven
MaXsponsor

Yes, you are absolutely right. Prices of ALL classics have gone WAY UP in recent years, E30 being the most popular one, they suffer the most! Same goes for E28's, 2002's E31's, E38's to just name a few. As they become harder and harder to find, price for CLEAN ones will only go up. I still remember the days where you could pick up mint E30's with blown engines for $500!!! Same car today goes for $3000+...And E30 M3's could be found as low as $7000! lol
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E28 E34 E39 E60 E61 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4 F30 F32

Etobicoke location now open!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 70+ cars in stock!

Last edited by Bimmer Heaven; 02-16-2016 at 11:27 PM.
Bimmer Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:21 AM   #3
Mustachio
1st Gear Newbie

Has the spec e30 been a fairly recent development? I remember a story on Jalopnik about someone buying an old beater off craigslist and almost winning a race against 400K cars. The story came up on every car magazine cause everyone wanted to show off the story, in process getting everyone excited about their old dusty and forgotten car
Old 02-17-2016, 01:43 AM   #4
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
Has the spec e30 been a fairly recent development? I remember a story on Jalopnik about someone buying an old beater off craigslist and almost winning a race against 400K cars. The story came up on every car magazine cause everyone wanted to show off the story, in process getting everyone excited about their old dusty and forgotten car
He did not almost win the race, he wasn't even close. Caswell's time was 5h 29m 38.4seconds. He actually did not race against WRC cars, but raced in an event that followed the WRC, so he was racing on the same stages.
Here are the results from the main event
http://www.ewrc-results.com/final.php?e=574
So he only beat the bottom two cars.

Here is one of the cars that he beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvKjwCO71Og

That is definitely not a full blown, 400k rally car.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:49 AM   #5
jabela
5th Gear Member

It's not because of Jalopnik. It's just old hipster nostalgia. Also the economy was shit not long ago, so the market was stagnant, now that the US economy is rolling again the prices have spiked to make up for that low period.
Even E46 prices are going up now.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.maisonapothecare.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:18 AM   #6
Mustachio
1st Gear Newbie

I was afraid of that lol. Ok, my apologies, I'm slipping into the speculation realm myself the way I made that comment . It was a while ago that I've read the story and didn't bother to find it again and fact check, however it doesn't change the fact that the car itself got more publicity and attention. Never mind that it may be undeserved considering the actual story...

Also, remember Top Gear and their indistructable Toyota truck? Several of my friends and colligues bought or looked for one just because they watched the damn episode!
People will buy anything as long as the product is well presented. Don't get me wrong, I think those trucks were pretty awesome.

Yes, US economy has been on the rise, Canadian economy...not so much. Population is pickled in debt, massive job losses due to oil oversupply/cheap price. So it makes me think some ppl want to offload their cars for profit in uncertain times

Last edited by Mustachio; 02-17-2016 at 02:24 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:32 AM   #7
jabela
5th Gear Member

Eh, house prices are still going up at silly rates. Only Alberta is really suffering. Maybe you can find a cheap E30 there lol. Cdn car market is tied to US market as it's not too hard to bring an E30 across the border. Most of them are in the US anyways. They also rot away in the Cdn winters, making them rarer. Plus Cdn economy only recently started tanking.

The whole internet/BMW community is infatuated with E30's. Kids who grew up riding in them can now buy them, there's Spec E30 to give them race cred, they actually do look good and are fun to drive.
Older 911's are even worse.

I just need to wait 20 years so I can sell my E46 for what I bought it for

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.maisonapothecare.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:38 AM   #8
Blackedout95
6th Gear Member

We are just about done a nice 325is build, will be looking for $12k CAD. Just needs interior still but coming along...
Old 02-17-2016, 04:20 PM   #9
Mustachio
1st Gear Newbie

Guilty of it myself I must say, but I wanted one ever since I understood the concept of a car and then saw one of those.

Blackedout95, I don't know if I'm willing to part with 12K for a car in general lol. And I understand the money n work that may go into it certainly warrants that price tag. I'm sure if I were to do something similar, which I plan eventually, it will end up costing just as much in the end. But then you are risking on missing out on the labour of love and calling it your own...or some shit like that hehe.

Do you have a thread or some more info on your build? I'm curious, you never know...
Old 02-20-2016, 10:49 PM   #10
Mustachio
1st Gear Newbie

And just to prove my point. An add pops up on Vancouver Craigslist Wednesday evening, I was the first to respond to it cause i've been sitting on my ipad day n night, told the dude I will be there on Saturday morning, the car sold the next day! 4 ppl were in que lol
Old 02-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #11
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Makes me totally regret selling my E30 M3. If I only had had a better place to store it.......

Current : 2013 Mini Countryman JCW, 2007 Z4M Roadster

Past: '88 E30 M3, '69 BMW 2002 Ti, 2000 328i, Audi A6 TT, BMW X5 3.0i , Audi A4, Mini Cooper Clubman S 1.8T
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:47 PM   #12
325isdan
6th Gear Member

if you are looking for a mint $1000 e30 yes you in the wrong era but you for sure can find really nice e30 for less then 5k. You just need to keep looking.
325isdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:27 PM   #13
estoguy
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
And just to prove my point. An add pops up on Vancouver Craigslist Wednesday evening, I was the first to respond to it cause i've been sitting on my ipad day n night, told the dude I will be there on Saturday morning, the car sold the next day! 4 ppl were in que lol
Yup, nice E30s will disappear in a flash... saw one on Kijiji the other night, by the next morning ad was gone.

I had the same thing happen to me years ago... was going to see a mint MKII Jetta, and the guy was waiting for me to come. When I got there he told me he sold it. I was pissed, but that's the way it goes... I bet the the person who got it showed up with cash in hand. It's the way it goes... money talks. LOL

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

"The future is uncertain and the end is always near."
estoguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:34 PM   #14
estoguy
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Yup, nice E30s will disappear in a flash... saw one on Kijiji the other night, by the next morning ad was gone.

I had the same thing happen to me years ago... was going to see a mint MKII Jetta, and the guy was waiting for me to come. When I got there he told me he sold it. I was pissed, but that's the way it goes... I bet the the person who got it showed up with cash in hand. It's the way it goes... money talks. LOL

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

"The future is uncertain and the end is always near."
estoguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:18 PM   #15
Mustachio
1st Gear Newbie

Damn tominizer, you had e30 m3! It's like as if you were sitting on a big piece of metal and had no idea it was actually gold , sorry to add to your sorrow, but I had to say it

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: