Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-20-2016, 03:15 PM   #1
2k328Ci
2nd Gear Member

Question Any tips or suggestions getting a rock chip on windshield repaired or replaced?

Hi all,

Just got a small rock chip on my windshield, its small, but the spider cracks are about the size of a quarter. (I've never had this happen in 32yrs of driving yet!)

I love my e92M3 and intend to keep it for as long as I can - is it a waste to get a full OEM replacement? Where would one go for such a job (not the stealership)?

How are those plastic filling crack repairs? I assume they aren't all equal quality (the places I see at a Canadian Tire parking lot). Are they just as good? Are there better places to get that done?

Any tips, experiences and suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!
2k328Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:23 PM   #2
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

Wait, you drive an E92 M3 and you don't have a $0 deductible for things like this?

I've replaced 3 windshields on my BMWs in the past 5 or so years.. all with Pilkington BMW glass, all for the low low price of free.

Because you have spider cracks, I would say it is no longer fixable. The chip places are just for that, simple chips in the glass. That's what the guys at crappy tire, and Speedy AutoGlass told me.
ac_2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:36 PM   #3
2k328Ci
2nd Gear Member

I'm going to check with my insurance, but I have the feeling I actually took off the windshield replacement rider a few years back (since I've never encountered this before in 32yrs of driving and was told it was a good thing to save on).

Any place to take it to for a proper honest trust-worthy evaluation? (not a place that wants to sell me a windshield )
Old 09-20-2016, 04:54 PM   #4
xander_g
1st Gear Newbie

I have the same issue. Any recos on a place would be greatly appreciated.
xander_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
jabela
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Wait, you drive an E92 M3 and you don't have a $0 deductible for things like this?

I've replaced 3 windshields on my BMWs in the past 5 or so years.. all with Pilkington BMW glass, all for the low low price of free.

Because you have spider cracks, I would say it is no longer fixable. The chip places are just for that, simple chips in the glass. That's what the guys at crappy tire, and Speedy AutoGlass told me.
Have your rates been going up from all the claims? I assume there's a reason they ask if you've had any claims in the last 7 years?

OP, if the cracks aren't too big they might be fixable. Pics?
There was also some threads not long ago recommending some places so try a quick search.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.maisonapothecare.ca
jabela is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:18 PM   #6
dbworld4k
Addict

Any tips or suggestions getting a rock chip on windshield repaired or replaced?

Some companies will not allow zero deductibles on certain model cars, even for comprehensive stuff like glass. My M3 has a stupid $1k deductible for this kind of thing. It's shitty but whatever...

As for a shop, I've only used Auto Magic Glass on Derry Rd/410, they're near Bimmersport. That was almost 8 years ago though for a windshield on my E36. I'd go back there if I had to do a replacement, they have very good prices and use OE suppliers (Pilkington, Sekurit, etc). They actually told me not to bother with a chip on my GF's car because of it's location (it happened when replacing the wiper blades and the arm flung back onto the glass and chipped it there). She was just going to have it filled but given the odd location in the ceramic and totally out of sight, it was simply better not to waste $50 on filling i as it was likely going to spread if he messed with it. He turned away a quick buck, so he's gets a point in my books.

dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:09 PM   #7
Blackedout95
6th Gear Member

Some places may warn it could increase the size of the crack and you sign off on such, not sure if all tell you this.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:18 PM   #8
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Quote:
I've replaced 3 windshields on my BMWs in the past 5 or so years
stop tailgating semi's

Quote:
Because you have spider cracks, I would say it is no longer fixable.
correct

2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 220M 19's, Michelin Supersports
2006 YZF-R6, bunch of go-fast stuff
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:53 PM   #9
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabela View Post
Have your rates been going up from all the claims? I assume there's a reason they ask if you've had any claims in the last 7 years?
The insurance adjuster I spoke with said that you're "allowed" 3 comprehensive claims every 2 years before they look into a rate increase.

So no, I haven't had an increase.
Might help that the policy I'm on has 3 cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
stop tailgating semi's
How else am I supposed to accumulate draft points?
Old 09-21-2016, 05:11 PM   #10
2k328Ci
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the tips. I took it to Apple Auto Glass on Laird today to get them to look at it, they said it was fixable, but it wouldn't be invisible. They showed me one they fixed that was the "best" case scenario and I thought it looked pretty ugly - it was definitely NOT invisible. Luckily its near the bottom, but I'd probably see the flaw all the time and I know it will bug me.

I think I'm going to get insurance to replace it ($500 deductible) for a replacement factory original at a dealership just to be sure. Too many shady places around town after doing a bit more research.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160920_230456439_iOS_resize.jpg (236.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 09-21-2016, 05:32 PM   #11
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

For what it's worth, check this place out:

http://www.woodchesterautoglass.com/en/
3111 Woodchester Dr, Mississauga, ON

I had to use them when the windshield broke on a rental car (2016 Chrysler 300)
It cost about $240, tax in.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:07 PM   #12
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Quote:
The insurance adjuster I spoke with said that you're "allowed" 3 comprehensive claims every 2 years before they look into a rate increase.
this varies from insurance company to insurance company

2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 220M 19's, Michelin Supersports
2006 YZF-R6, bunch of go-fast stuff
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: