Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-19-2005, 04:53 PM   #16
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover
205 50 16 I believe is pretty accurate, or 205 55 16

On a side note, AWESOME thread for us e30 guys (not that I need it anymore).
205/55/16 has a very high chance of rubbing the shit out of front fender liners, and rubbing in the rear with anything but a very stiff suspension. Do not run those.

And you need to stop hiding and tell us what you put on your car!

@stancejay
Mystikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 07:57 PM   #17
oldskool3
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
205/55/16 has a very high chance of rubbing the shit out of front fender liners, and rubbing in the rear with anything but a very stiff suspension. Do not run those.

And you need to stop hiding and tell us what you put on your car!
Any suggestions on what I should run though?
oldskool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 08:38 PM   #18
Bob Loblaw
Zee Frog.

As Jay said, 205/50-16 or 225/45-16, with the correct offset. The 205's are safer since you don't know your rims' offset. I have 215/45-16's on my 16"X7.5" wheels, with an offset of ET25. No rubbin'. They're a bit smaller (in height) than stock, but it's hard to notice. If you get tires and there is rubbing, you'll need spacers.

Did you look closely on the inside of the rim to see if there is an "ET" offset stamping?

EDIT: I re-read your question and I'm not sure if you're asking about tire size again or tire brand.

Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 05-19-2005 at 08:41 PM.
Bob Loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:51 PM   #19
oldskool3
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
I'd leave it to a wheel shop, you need a very precise meter. What wheel is that, sounds like those ACS replicas on sale here a while back (16x7.5" 4x100 wheels are rare, I'm just guessing here).

You can run 205/50/16 for sure, or if the offset is ET22-ET27 you can run a 225/45/16, which is better for obvious reasons. If I were you I'd mount a 205/50/16 (used one, cheap/free from a shop) on one wheel and try it on the front and rear of the car, just to see if you need spacers at all.

Shit man extremly sorry I must have missed your post. You must have a good memory to remember those rims and yes you are correct those are the ones I am talking about.

I double checked the wheel like Al told me and all I could find was a 16-. Not sure what it is. It doesn't say et anywhere on the wheel.

I didn't even think I could run a 225 for fear of rubbing I was only hoping of running a 215/45/16 if they had it in the tire I wanted (Fuzion Zri Im on a small budget) or a 205/45/16 which I know they will have. Thats a good idea to get a cheap tire and see if it will run without rubbing but I doubt I will be able to find a free tire in a 215/45/16. Anyways thanks for all the help man I really appreciate it.

-Jesse
Old 05-20-2005, 07:05 AM   #20
Bob Loblaw
Zee Frog.

If you're going for a 205 width, you'd be better off with a 50-series tire rather than a 45. The 50-series will give you just about perfect stock size. The 45 will have a smaller diameter and give you inaccurate speedometer readings. They won't fill the wheel arches as well (that's just esthetic, though) and will give you a somewhat rougher ride (because there's less "cushioning").

Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 05-20-2005 at 07:07 AM.
Bob Loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 03:02 PM   #21
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

I've got the Firestone Firehawks GTA 205 50 16, very happy with them (Size/tire). Perfect size, and handles amazingly, and I think the speedo is pretty accurate, so that's a size I wsould recommend.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
bmwm5lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 06:34 PM   #22
Sylak
2nd Gear Member

I run my TSW wheel with 205-50-16, 225/45 16 also fit.
my wheel are ET20! no spacer. perfect fit
Sylak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:38 AM   #23
givemeanE36
3rd Gear Member

Here is my rim problem.

I personally want to pick up a set of Ronal LS down the road. I've noticed that all cars with Ronal LS have the rear tucking tire, while the front isn't (finger gap).

Currently i have Bilstein Sport and Eibach Sport Springs, but i want to swap out my Eibachs in the front for lower springs because i can't stand the look of having the rear with less gap (less than a finger) while my front has two fingers. The car is level, drives fine, but i just can't stand the difference. Plus if it was perched a tiny bit it would look awesome. Now i am just not sure if i'd able to fit the Ronal LS up front. They seem to be barely clearing the fenders.

Also, what is the best tire size to run on a Ronal LS?

This is how low i want my front dropped, will the LS still fit/work?

Old 05-24-2005, 12:42 AM   #24
givemeanE36
3rd Gear Member

Here is a pic of what i am talking about!!

If you notice the front doesn't look like it would clear the fender if it was lowered another inch. That's pretty much the same drop i have on my car now, and i just want to eliminate the front wheel gap, but i am scared of constant rubbing or even not being able to fit the wheels.

Old 05-24-2005, 12:57 AM   #25
Mystikal

Quote:
Originally Posted by givemeanE36
Here is my rim problem.

I personally want to pick up a set of Ronal LS down the road. I've noticed that all cars with Ronal LS have the rear tucking tire, while the front isn't (finger gap).
That's because most E30 spring setups (both aftermarket and stock) make the rear of later-model cars (88+) look lower than the front because the quarter panels come lower than on earlier cars. It's an illusion.

Quote:
Currently i have Bilstein Sport and Eibach Sport Springs, but i want to swap out my Eibachs in the front for lower springs because i can't stand the look of having the rear with less gap (less than a finger) while my front has two fingers. The car is level, drives fine, but i just can't stand the difference. Plus if it was perched a tiny bit it would look awesome. Now i am just not sure if i'd able to fit the Ronal LS up front. They seem to be barely clearing the fenders.
Leave the springs and add thicker rear spring pads to even it out. BMW sells 10mm ones, they will give a ~16mm raise of the rear, enough to get rid of most of the uneven gap. I personally have a raked setup with my Ground Control coilovers, and it looks better to me (I'm not a fan of tucking at all).

Quote:
Also, what is the best tire size to run on a Ronal LS?

This is how low i want my front dropped, will the LS still fit/work?
Best size tire is 225/50/15. 205/55/15 will also work, but wider is generally better. Ronals with 225's fit on VERY low cars, but spring/damper rates and if you're willing to get the fenders rolled are also key.

Also, in that last picture you posted, those aren't Ronals at all. Those are BBS RZ's, old school wheels that haven't been produced in many years. They are ET20, so yes, they do actually stick out quite far.

@stancejay
Old 05-24-2005, 01:02 PM   #26
oldskool3
4th Gear Member

Mystikal any chance that this is the offset of my wheels?

Thanks again

Jesse

Old 05-24-2005, 05:56 PM   #27
Mystikal

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool3
Mystikal any chance that this is the offset of my wheels?

Thanks again

Jesse
No, that is only the rim diameter. Seriously, unless those have some ungodly deep dish, they will work 205's and some sort of spacer. Get the tires and see if you need them.

@stancejay
Old 05-24-2005, 11:28 PM   #28
oldskool3
4th Gear Member

Alright man thanks a lot for all the help.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:58 PM   #29
Ian Sheppard
2nd Gear Member

225/50/15 fit on the Ronals without any rubbing. There is no need for fender rolling. They are very tight on the front strunt, as well as the rear lip, but they clear fine. I'm runing Eibachs and Bislteins, but it shouldn't make a difference as to what you run. I have pics at ww.cardomain.com/id/iannfld if you want to see how it sits.
Ian Sheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:39 AM   #30
Mystikal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sheppard
225/50/15 fit on the Ronals without any rubbing. There is no need for fender rolling. They are very tight on the front strunt, as well as the rear lip, but they clear fine. I'm runing Eibachs and Bislteins, but it shouldn't make a difference as to what you run. I have pics at ww.cardomain.com/id/iannfld if you want to see how it sits.
Correction, not all 225/50/15 are created equal, and not all fit without spacers (they rub the front strut). This includes the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 and other tires that run a similar 9.4" of section width. Popular choices that do fit include the Yokohama ES100 and Falken ZE-512, but in general the more aggressive tires (those that run wide, in addition to generally more sporting characteristics) will not fit the Ronal LS ET25 without touching the front strut.

@stancejay

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: