Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-22-2005, 12:58 AM   #1
ClayMan
6th Gear Member

Solution for 93-95 DRLs?

I don't know if this would work or not... But this would be ideal for people with 93-95 E36s that are annoyed for whatever reason that all of their lights are ALWAYS on. i.e. ppl with DDE that want to show them off ALONE (without the low beams always on) or ppl with xenons that don't want their precious $300 investment always on.

I believe brad_82 mentioned a low beam fuse mod (#25) to control the low beams that are normally always on. Now, if you take the fuse out and instead wire it to the 3rd pin on the headlight switch, then thereotically the lights should only receive power when the switch is in the 3rd position - just like a normal car oughtta!

I'm not sure whether this would throw any codes (low beam failure?) though, maybe brad could chime in here? I'm also assuming that fuse 25 doesn't control anything else...

Extending this further... If you have DDEs... You can use a relay that gets it power from the spliced corners (which, on 93-95s, always get power) and then wire the relay to the 2nd pin on the headlight switch (or any other switch). This way, you should get full control of lighting:

front and rear parking lights always on, as are the interior lights
1st position (off) - low beams off, fogs don't work
2nd position - low beams off, fogs work, DDEs on
3rd position - low beams on, fogs work, DDEs on

What do you guys think? Feel free to chime in...
ClayMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 01:20 AM   #2
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

Wow, this seems like a very good idea. Can somebody try this to confirm?
im saving money to buy hids and when i do, i want to be able to control the lightnning as well. Very good idea, thanks.
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:44 AM   #3
Antz_Marchin
4th Gear Member

hmmm interesting. I was just hooking up my ZKW/DDEs today and noticed that my low beam is always on, and was quite frustrated with it. But I have a '96 M3...Could a '95 build date be an issue? And you're saying that this isn't the case on '96 build date and newer??
Antz_Marchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:55 AM   #4
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antz_Marchin
hmmm interesting. I was just hooking up my ZKW/DDEs today and noticed that my low beam is always on, and was quite frustrated with it. But I have a '96 M3...Could a '95 build date be an issue? And you're saying that this isn't the case on '96 build date and newer??

later models dont have issues with the running lowbeam. 93~94 models needed quick daytime headlight fix to folllow the regulations. So bmw just hard wired the lowbeam to stay on forever. later models came with proper daytime running lights which can be disabled using us spec module.
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 10:58 AM   #5
BRAD 82
5th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to BRAD 82
There is no fault code with the way i do it because the removal of the fuse is replaced with a switch i wire into the centre console where some of you will have seat heaters. this would allow those with ccfls to have a switch for their ccfls and a switch for their low beams. i don't use the oem switch as it is hard wired.
come to think of this i should really start offering this as my own service

in theory your idea should work but i think it would compicate things too much because with using a relay you will have to wire into the fuse box which could involve more headaches etc...

i have been using the fuse removal way now for over a year and never had a problem!

i hope this answers your question/idea but this is the way i do it.
BRAD 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 11:00 AM   #6
BRAD 82
5th Gear Member

On a side not if you don't want your indicator lights on all the time read the DIY electrical thread... it is another easy mod that allows you to run strictly fogs on by themselves and your indicators only come on when you signal! which would enhance your ccfls even further!
Old 04-22-2005, 11:03 AM   #7
BRAD 82
5th Gear Member

#25 fuse only controls your low beams and i could see the 'jumper' wire you want to run causing a fault code because you are putting power where there was none before.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:57 AM   #8
ClayMan
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD 82
There is no fault code with the way i do it because the removal of the fuse is replaced with a switch i wire into the centre console where some of you will have seat heaters. this would allow those with ccfls to have a switch for their ccfls and a switch for their low beams. i don't use the oem switch as it is hard wired.
come to think of this i should really start offering this as my own service
Hmm wouldn't be the same then, but instead of using your extra switches on the center console, in this case, it'd be wired to the headlight switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD 82
in theory your idea should work but i think it would compicate things too much because with using a relay you will have to wire into the fuse box which could involve more headaches etc...
Just to clarify (the way I worded it before may have been a little confusing) the relay would only be for the DDEs. Instead of getting constant power from the parking lights, you put in a relay and connect it to a switch (center console, headlight switch, whatever) so that you can turn it off if you want.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:02 PM   #9
BRAD 82
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayMan
Hmm wouldn't be the same then, but instead of using your extra switches on the center console, in this case, it'd be wired to the headlight switch?
ya but i don't think that it would work... i remember mentioning something very simular to this to justine36 and he said because the oem switch is hard wired it wouldn't work.
you can try it and let me know how it goes i would just be worried about what that extra power there will do to the computer.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:16 PM   #10
app
5th Gear Member

I just wired the angel eyes into the parking lights, so then if I change my headlight switch to parking lights it turns on my angel eyes only and I can run fogs with them.

To get rid of the parking lights, just have to electric tape one of the connections.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:23 PM   #11
ClayMan
6th Gear Member

app:is your car a 92? Because on 93 and 94s, I believe the parking lights are ALWAYS on... regardless of the headlight switch position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by app
I just wired the angel eyes into the parking lights, so then if I change my headlight switch to parking lights it turns on my angel eyes only and I can run fogs with them.

To get rid of the parking lights, just have to electric tape one of the connections.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:25 PM   #12
BRAD 82
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by app

ya its the number 3 wire that you cut/tape.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:38 PM   #13
ClayMan
6th Gear Member

Here are the electrical diagrams... Thanks to whoever posted them in the first place! I'm not very good with these, and they're kinda big and confusing (1992, 1993 and 1994 wiring all have their own perks...)

I'm in the process of extracting/separating the info for different years to make it more clear (PShop work ) ...

http://www.geocities.com/claycar-zin...anLighting.zip

(open in a new window to download)
Old 04-22-2005, 03:15 PM   #14
Antz_Marchin
4th Gear Member

Ok, I get everything being said here but I need to clarify something that I'm not really getting about my '96 E36. My lows come on as soon as I turn the key.....that's all I want to know....does anybody elses car do this?
Antz_Marchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:21 PM   #15
ClayMan
6th Gear Member

that's odd... as far as i know.. starting from '95s, all e36s had the updated wiring with the tone-downed DRLs (only high beams at low intensity, and it's controlled by a simple relay under the steering wheel)

what about your parking lights and interior lights? are they always on as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antz_Marchin
Ok, I get everything being said here but I need to clarify something that I'm not really getting about my '96 E36. My lows come on as soon as I turn the key.....that's all I want to know....does anybody elses car do this?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: