Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-14-2003, 01:07 PM   #1
bassrebel
ok i dunno

Send a message via ICQ to bassrebel Send a message via AIM to bassrebel Send a message via MSN to bassrebel Send a message via Yahoo to bassrebel
4:10 Differential Question...

Hey All...

This is my first time here...

I have a 1987 BMW wit 106k miles on it.

I was talking to some friend who's studying to be a mechanic.

I heard about installing a 4:10 differential.

He told me that a differential from a Toyota 1.8 maybe will fit.

Is that true? Do I have to make any mods when installing it?

Have a nice day,

Danny T. Gonzalez
Attached Images
File Type: jpg post-16-1068693301.jpg (49.7 KB, 221 views)
bassrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 01:21 PM   #2
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

A 4.10 in your car would render it useless. You'd constantly be WAY over the powerband, and your top speed would be hilarious.

Try something a lot lower.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 01:27 PM   #3
bassrebel
ok i dunno

Send a message via ICQ to bassrebel Send a message via AIM to bassrebel Send a message via MSN to bassrebel Send a message via Yahoo to bassrebel
what do you suggest me?

Danny
Old 11-14-2003, 01:43 PM   #4
Mystikal

A 3.73 from any 325i/325is would be fine. If I were you I'd put on a chip before that one, it will help with the top end a lot. Also, try to locate an LSD one, it can be identified by an "S" on the diff housing.

@stancejay
Old 11-14-2003, 02:08 PM   #5
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

I have a 3.91 LSD out of an E30 325ix and I can probably max out around 215-220kph. I think I might go with a 4.11 LSD...if I can find one.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:32 PM   #6
bassrebel
ok i dunno

Quote:
Originally posted by Mystikal
A 3.73 from any 325i/325is would be fine. If I were you I'd put on a chip before that one, it will help with the top end a lot. Also, try to locate an LSD one, it can be identified by an "S" on the diff housing.
all right, here's the thing...

My brother recently gave this car to me as a gift.

I think this car has a chip... the red line starts @ 4,300 and ends in 5,000 RPM.

When I accelerate it exceeds 5,000 up to 5,300 or so.

So I figured it out the car has a chip.

Danny
Old 11-15-2003, 12:17 AM   #7
elraton16
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to elraton16
i have a 4.10 diff in the rear. but at the same time i also have a chip, 11:1 cr, shaved head etc etc. its all in the package you build is what im trying to say here. my car HAULS ass in first and second gear but then as i get to 80 mph i start to lose out bigtime. the 100 mark is a patient wait but it surely gets there and also keeps on pulling..and pulling. i wouldnt recommend a 4.10 diff if your into speed, high speed that is. also the spider gears inside the diff will break if you shift to second and peel out, if you do it enough times the pin that keeps the spider gears in place will break and the gears will become loose = BOOOOM. and then you blow your rear end. im my opinion, get it. its a big improvement in acceleration but you lose out after high mph's....or kph ( sorry i forgot this is toronto based forum )
Old 11-15-2003, 12:23 AM   #8
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

you have a 325E then..

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 02:53 AM   #9
Mystikal

Quote:
Originally posted by bassrebel
So I figured it out the car has a chip.
Sounds good. Go ahead with the 3.73LSD then, it will make the car A LOT faster. Like I said, any 325i or 325is will have that diff.

@stancejay
Old 11-19-2003, 02:10 AM   #10
///M323i
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by elraton16
i have a 4.10 diff in the rear. but at the same time i also have a chip, 11:1 cr, shaved head etc etc. its all in the package you build is what im trying to say here. my car HAULS ass in first and second gear but then as i get to 80 mph i start to lose out bigtime. the 100 mark is a patient wait but it surely gets there and also keeps on pulling..and pulling. i wouldnt recommend a 4.10 diff if your into speed, high speed that is. also the spider gears inside the diff will break if you shift to second and peel out, if you do it enough times the pin that keeps the spider gears in place will break and the gears will become loose = BOOOOM. and then you blow your rear end. im my opinion, get it. its a big improvement in acceleration but you lose out after high mph's....or kph ( sorry i forgot this is toronto based forum )
I have a 4.1 diff aswell, whats this about spider gears? so if u do a burnout and change into second and keep going u will break ur diff??
///M323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 04:09 AM   #11
audiophile
3rd Gear Member

just dont chirp into second too often
sold the e34.
lookin for an e36
audiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 03:47 PM   #12
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

does the 3.73LSD and tranny from a 325i have the spider gears?

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 02:10 AM   #13
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Ok can someone clear this up for me, i dont know much about diffs.

like the difference between a 3.73 and an 4.10. I know the lower gear ratio will do lower rpm at the same speed.

Also i have an 88 325i (automatic), i know its not lsd, anyone know what gear ratio mine would have or how i can check?

And if i wanted to go lsd, which should i go with. I do alot of highway driving, so i guess i should go with the lower ratio right?
Old 12-17-2003, 05:44 AM   #14
jimmyd1
2nd Gear Member

Cool

Brada, jus go wit da 3.46. It will be a perfect match to the E motor in your car. You will probably see a marked improvement in off the line acceleration and it probably will not dramatically effect your high end (if you are not constantly travelling in the 120+mph) range.
jimmyd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 01:46 AM   #15
BladeRunner
4th Gear Member

Many people say the gearing for the final is printed on the back of it. I've looked mine befor but was unable to find it, but then again my car wasn't on a lift when I did this.

Wouldn't the mpg suffer some with a 4.10?
BladeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: