Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #1
Quickid
3rd Gear Member

Minor accident (got rear ended by a jerk)... What would you do?

I stopped at a 4 way stop, someone hit my car from behind.

I asked him for his info (license #, insurance) and he wouldn't give it to me because he feels there is no damage. I showed him the marks his license plate frame and he said it's nothing and dared me to call the police as that's the only way he'll give out his info. I said the damage is too small to require the police but he wouldn't budge. So I called 911 and a cruiser was dispatched.

The officer said the damage is not reportable and told him exactly what I was saying. As long as the cars made contact, information must be exchanged.

So now I have a dilemma. I'm trying to decide if I should I bother making a claim on a couple of small scrapes. I kinda want to because the guy was a jerk plus my bumper is no longer perfect.

What would you do?
Quickid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
dbworld4k
Addict

Minor accident (got rear ended by a jerk)... What would you do?

If it's a car you don't think will suffer massively from a claim (ie. Are you planning on selling it soon? Do you care about slight depreciation from having an accident on record?), file it. Make his rates go up. The ****er deserves it. Did the cop give him any ticket for his negligence?

I can't believe some assholes out there, the degenerate scum honestly refused to give his info despite his fault? People like that need to be gassed.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
2bmwguy
M5 EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickid View Post
I stopped at a 4 way stop, someone hit my car from behind.

I asked him for his info (license #, insurance) and he wouldn't give it to me because he feels there is no damage. I showed him the marks his license plate frame and he said it's nothing and dared me to call the police as that's the only way he'll give out his info. I said the damage is too small to require the police but he wouldn't budge. So I called 911 and a cruiser was dispatched.

The officer said the damage is not reportable and told him exactly what I was saying. As long as the cars made contact, information must be exchanged.

So now I have a dilemma. I'm trying to decide if I should I bother making a claim on a couple of small scrapes. I kinda want to because the guy was a jerk plus my bumper is no longer perfect.

What would you do?
don't claim it. I bet he probably didn't have insurance or a license. Or both.!!
Old 01-06-2014, 07:12 PM   #4
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Even if you clame it, you have to pay the deductible, so it might cost you! You also have an accident (not at failt) and a claim on your record. The car will also have an accident on file (minor but still)...
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Since you were rear-ended, you are not responsible for a deductable and any claims will NOT affect your insurance.... I would make a claim just to teach the a-hole a lesson. Or at least contact him and give him the option to settle with cash.

Definitely consult with your insurance company for advice. Clarify to make sure your insurance is not affected in this case. esp if the other driver wasn't charged.

So.... can it be buffed out? Or does it require re-painting?
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:32 PM   #6
Quickid
3rd Gear Member

dbworld4k: My car will not be for sale anytime soon. My son is actually going to take it over as soon as he finishes school.

2bmwguy: I have his license # and policy #. Yes they can be fake but there's only one way to find out.

Eurostyle: My insurance has zero deductible if it's not my fault. I pay extra for that because I don't believe in paying deductible for something I did not cause.

I'm with dbworld4k... I'm just so pissed right now with his attitude and lack of acknowledgement that he caused damage, no matter how little. He didn't even apologize. Unfortunately, the cop did not give him a ticket. The cop basically said she shouldn't even be there in the first place and told the guy to give me his info like I asked because that is the law.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #7
Quickid
3rd Gear Member

windwagen: You can opt out of the no-deductible option for not at fault accidents and pay less premium. It is an option that insurance companies are peddling these days.

Unfortunately it can't be buffed out. There are 2 round areas that took out paint, probably from the license plate bolts.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
dbworld4k
Addict

If the car is being kept for a long time and you're thinking of handing it down, you have no reason to not file a claim. The additional depreciation aspect has now gone out the window. Stick it to that asshole, make him suffer the consequences. I wish they were more severe (ie. given a ticket, too). People like that need to be a taught a lesson.

File the claim and enjoy your new bumper. Hell, maybe upgrade to an MTech2 now? Lol.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #9
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Claim...claim...i'm surprised your having second thoughts...

A few years ago, I got rear ended in our Odyssey. Minor...similar license bolts. The driver was extremely apologetic and showed concern for my kids...etc. Considering our van is far from perfect, I told the driver that I'd get it checked out but most likely I wouldn't do anything. Turns out the rebar collapsed...basically did its job. Quote was $2000, but you can buy the rebar from Honda for $200. I asked if he would give me $400 for the part and my labour, and call it a day. He was grateful that I was so understanding.

I felt bad that he even had to pay that...but the rebar really needed attention.
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #10
v_bimmer
Jailbait FTW

i would try to get cash out of him, if he doesn't budge, just let it go.

Its not worth having a claim, for a very minor accident.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:56 PM   #11
Quickid
3rd Gear Member

Good point about the rebar. I didn't even think about that.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:48 AM   #12
jabela
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwagen View Post
Claim...claim...i'm surprised your having second thoughts...

A few years ago, I got rear ended in our Odyssey. Minor...similar license bolts. The driver was extremely apologetic and showed concern for my kids...etc. Considering our van is far from perfect, I told the driver that I'd get it checked out but most likely I wouldn't do anything. Turns out the rebar collapsed...basically did its job. Quote was $2000, but you can buy the rebar from Honda for $200. I asked if he would give me $400 for the part and my labour, and call it a day. He was grateful that I was so understanding.

I felt bad that he even had to pay that...but the rebar really needed attention.
Yup, +1 to this. The bumper under the plastic cover is designed to take the impact and protect the body of the car. It could very likley be deformed and unable to to protect against future impacts.
Probably also some broken clips under that could cause your bumper to flap around on the highway.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #13
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

Get a quote and she if he'd settle cash otherwise stick it to him. Don't let him off or he'll do it again to someone else.

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #14
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemmer View Post
Get a quote and she if he'd settle cash otherwise stick it to him. Don't let him off or he'll do it again to someone else.
Don't give him a quote from European Autobody - quick way to have your talks go sideways and getting $0 cash settlement.

Get some reasonable quotes.

If you can get 80% (cost of your preferred shop), from this dirt bag, you're lucky.

Better yet, put it through insurance, collect a rental car, and give me an at fault accident.
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:22 AM   #15
Robb
EX E30 M3 Owner

What kind of society we live in when people are afraid to call their insurance company for their help.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: