Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
dcramer
5th Gear Member

etest hot rod designation

Has anyone gone for an etest with an engine other than what was installed originally in the car ?

S54 swap for instance, or an S50B32 ?

Were you allowed to test as a hot rod ?

Last edited by dcramer; 03-06-2013 at 06:52 AM. Reason: correct grammar
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

http://maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155957

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

You'll need to make sure you have all the paper work needed, before they'll allow you to test as a hot rod. If you can meet those requirements then they will allow it.

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment...OD_098201.html
The rules seems to have changed a bit, so what happened last year may not be the same this year.

There are a few e36 s54 swap guys that might be able to tell you about their experience last year....
Old 03-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
dcramer
5th Gear Member

I actually emailed the emissions guys, and he says even if it is a hotrod it has to have odb2. The S50B32 doesn't have ODB2. I thought they would allow a tailpipe test ?
Old 03-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer View Post
I actually emailed the emissions guys, and he says even if it is a hotrod it has to have odb2. The S50B32 doesn't have ODB2. I thought they would allow a tailpipe test ?
Ah okay, since they didn't have the obdII testing last year, I'm pretty sure they didn't have that requirement. I suppose the s54 guys should be good, depending on what the ECU reports for the things they are looking for.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Well it's a bit contradictory. Since the new motor has all it's emissions equipment attached. It just doesn't have ODB2. They do allow non-ODB2 vehicles to be tested.
Does anyone know how to appeal ?
Old 03-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Here is a quote from their site. If they are willing to test a 2005 with a crate motor they should test mine.

Q: The owner of a 2005 Chevrolet vehicle installed a 2011 crate motor. (The 2011 crate motor was not designed or equipped with any emission components). What are the emission requirements?

A: This vehicle must:

meet the visible emission standards
meet the emission standards set for the original motor (2005).
have all emissions control equipment normally included with the replacement motor (2011), or its equivalent, attached and functioning. Since the crate motor did not come with any emission components, none are required.
meet or exceed the 2005 standards for that original motor if a provincial officer asks for a Drive Clean test. Although emissions control equipment is not required, without it, the car would likely fail the Drive Clean test.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

I suppose it's terminology, if you can show a receipt that you had a crate motor installed then maybe they will accept it.

Still not sure how they would test it if it has no OBDII port though. Maybe best to talk to a shop that does the new test and they might be able to help since the rules are so new I doubt alot of people know much about them yet.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
dcramer
5th Gear Member

The crate motor is just an example. The point is that it does not have ODB2 and they are allowing it to be tested.

there are still tailpipe testing facilities. There are lots of cars out there that do not have ODB2 ports that were built after 97. driveclean has a list of exempted cars
Old 03-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
Seyar
4th Gear Member

Not sure about the rules now but I had done my e test in the previous years under hot rod with a s52 motor.

INTERLAGOS E36
Seyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Course the S52 supports ODB2 but previously they would have never bothered with it.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #12
food
Custom User Title

From the Ministry's website:

Original Car, 1999 model year or older

Motor replaced post January 1,1999

Requirements

Vehicle cannot legally operate if there are visible emissions for more than 15 seconds in any five-minute period (s. 3(1) and s.6)

For Drive Clean testing, the vehicle must meet or exceed what were the emissions standards of the original motor when all original emission control equipment was functioning (s. 4(2)). If there weren’t any standards established for the original motor, the vehicle is deemed to be a 1980 model. The standards listed for “1980 and earlier” model-year vehicles apply.

All emissions control equipment must be attached and functioning. Equipment refers to what came with the replacement motor or be equivalent to what would have come with that motor. (s. 4(2))

Basically you need to pass whatever the emissions requirements were for your car's model year. Only HC and CO, NOx is not tested.

As far as emissions equipment required. All you technically need to pass an emissions test is a gas filler cap that seals properly and a catalytic converter. That said you can still get tickets for the lack of emissions equipment.

This information came from the manager of a mainstream chain shop in regards to my 1995 vehicle with a engine swap of undefined origin. He is an muscle car guy and does hot rod emissions tests all the time.

EDIT: Here's the link.
http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment...8201.html#1999

Last edited by food; 03-06-2013 at 12:04 PM.
food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #13
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Yes, looks clear to me too, just not when I emailed them.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #14
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by food View Post
From the Ministry's website:

This information came from the manager of a mainstream chain shop in regards to my 1995 vehicle with a engine swap of undefined origin. He is an muscle car guy and does hot rod emissions tests all the time.

EDIT: Here's the link.
http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment...8201.html#1999
Latest rub from the emissions guy is that because my car is a 98, there is no provision for a non-odb2 test. I'm still arguing with them

Dave
Old 03-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #15
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer View Post
Latest rub from the emissions guy is that because my car is a 98, there is no provision for a non-odb2 test. I'm still arguing with them

Dave
Only cars 1997 and older that have non functioning OBD ports can be tested with the old TSI test.

1998 and newer need to have a functioning OBD2 port in order to take and pass the test like you car.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: