Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #46
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

oh darn. Ive been eyeing that car for a while ...and was just thinking Id go drive it this weekend to see whats up.

good price for sure but its rough ...and with smg itll give you some issues in future so be ready
Old 02-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #47
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
Saying you hate something without stating why is a pretty useless comment, just sounds like your jumping on the hate bandwagon
Not at all! I have no reason to hate it other than personal preference.
It is extremely jerky, and when you have it in auto mode it feels like the car is broken (something about the way it delays to shift while you as the driver are not doing anything). Reversing and taking off from a stop even in high mode is just a joke and annoying. I did enjoy it while I was flat out accelerating and shifting faster than anyone of us ever could.
Just not my cup of tea.

Anyway, we are getting off topic.
Enjoy your car dude, is it the yellow one I saw?

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior

Last edited by bmwm5lover; 02-22-2013 at 11:11 AM.
bmwm5lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #48
2bmwguy
M5 EATER

Yes the yellow one.I understand what your saying about the smg ,at least your not knocking me for buying it.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #49
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

I'm got an SMG in my '02 M3 and LOVE IT. If I had to replace my car with another E46 M3.. it'd be SMG again. The "haters" on here don't like it because they don't know how to drive an SMG. Test driving one for a few KM's does not do it justice. Even in Auto mode, the thing is brilliant. THE SECRET??? all in your right foot. You can leave the speed-shift button all the way to the fastest and still make the tranny granny-shift if you lift slightly with your right foot just as it shifts. It's all timing and finesse. Once you get good, you can drive around rush-hour in the fastest shift mode balancing a glass of water on the dashboard without spilling.

Maintenance costs? Well, of course there's that pump ($2000 new @GetBMWParts) that I already replaced, and the odd relay but that's pretty much it. The clutch kit is the same as a regular 6-spd. In fact, if you're not the best driver and have bad habits riding the clutch on inclined red-lights, you'll probably wear out the clutch on a 6-spd faster than if you had an SMG. Either way, it's a fraction of the cost of repairing a newer DSG gearbox. If/when I move to an E92 M3... that will have 3 pedals thank you. There's good reasons why many top-manufacturers (Lambo/Koenigsegg/Pagani etc) still use single-clutch semi-auto boxes.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #50
ex3mal
Weapon M

It take me over month to drive smg properly and I have no complains now.

e46 m3 artcar, ap racing bbk, maxpsi stage 2
Follow on ig @weaponm
ex3mal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #51
dbworld4k
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMPOWERD View Post
I'm got an SMG in my '02 M3 and LOVE IT. If I had to replace my car with another E46 M3.. it'd be SMG again. The "haters" on here don't like it because they don't know how to drive an SMG. Test driving one for a few KM's does not do it justice. Even in Auto mode, the thing is brilliant. THE SECRET??? all in your right foot. You can leave the speed-shift button all the way to the fastest and still make the tranny granny-shift if you lift slightly with your right foot just as it shifts. It's all timing and finesse. Once you get good, you can drive around rush-hour in the fastest shift mode balancing a glass of water on the dashboard without spilling.
This is precisely what I have heard time and again from people who actually OWN these cars.

I don't know why the onlookers constantly dog on SMGs. You'd think if it was that hated, every single day, by all of BMW's *paying* customers, they'd have changed it. Yet, the vast majority of E46 M3s and E60 M5s were ordered by choice, and produced with this so-called-hard/unliveable transmission for nearly a whole decade.

The first time I actually put one through it's pace was yours, Randy. Gotta say, it was a freakin' blast pulling off those hard, angry, raw shifts in S6. That can be quite addicting. I can see myself owning one of these some day in a car that's used frequently.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #52
2bmwguy
M5 EATER

I enjoyed driving the smg I had no problems , picking up the car Monday.and got up to 5000 warranty on drivetrain for 3 yrs.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #53
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Thread cleaned up. Lets keep this on topic and refrain from personal attacks please.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #54
2bmwguy
M5 EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
If you already have an M5, that should be fun enaugh...(for most people anyways!)
M5. Clone.!!
Old 02-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #55
dbworld4k
Addict

Really? Still going on with the juvenile banter after a moderator cleaned it up?

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #56
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Wow, I read all of the posts b4 the clean up, this has, by far, been the most childish exchange of insults I've ever seen on Max.
We should have an award.

Anyway, 2bmwguy, post some detailed pictures of your M3, there might be some inexpensive ways of correcting some of the cosmetic issues your new car has that will make it much nicer overall and get you tinkering with it.
Instead of insulting each other, use the knowledge that some of the guys like Eurostyle have to better your ride.

Just a positive thought.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Toys
Old 02-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #57
2bmwguy
M5 EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
Wow, I read all of the posts b4 the clean up, this has, by far, been the most childish exchange of insults I've ever seen on Max.
We should have an award.

Anyway, 2bmwguy, post some detailed pictures of your M3, there might be some inexpensive ways of correcting some of the cosmetic issues your new car has that will make it much nicer overall and get you tinkering with it.
Instead of insulting each other, use the knowledge that some of the guys like Eurostyle have to better your ride.

Just a positive thought.
Yes, your right.if you go back and see my posts, I did not start any of this,I will counter back I'm not scared.you and me have made some deals in the past,I'm a good guy and so Are you. I will never. Buy anything at bummer heaven after this.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #58
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bmwguy View Post
Yes, your right.if you go back and see my posts, I did not start any of this,I will counter back I'm not scared.you and me have made some deals in the past,I'm a good guy and so Are you. I will never. Buy anything at bummer heaven after this.
Yes, I have sold you a few things and you are a straight up guy for sure which is why I am trying to steer the conversation in a positive direction. For everyone's sake

Toys
Old 02-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #59
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bmwguy View Post
If you go a re-read my posts, i was not attacking you, so no need to be scared. I stated my oppinion on SMG, and on "economy" M cars. Thats ALL.

I didnt make any personal insults, unlike you.
If you like your car, enjoy it, i couldnt be happyer for you.
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #60
hardparking
1st Gear Newbie

I read the posts as well this morning and I don't get the point you were trying to prove "2bmwguy" is it that you have more money than eurostyle because you have the car with the "m" badge? You already admitted you have a mortgage and like to buy cheap cars so I don't get your reasoning. He could easily sell his "fake m5" for much more than your m3..
hardparking is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: