Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
BostonGreen
1st Gear Newbie

Ignition is jammed - HELP!

Hi guys,
I was wondering if I could get some of your insights on a problem that I have...

I recently went to start my car on a colder day (about -2 according to my OBC) and I got 3/4 past my first "click" which engaged the normal lights on my gauge cluster.
I tried to continue to turn my key to crank the engine however it is totally seized. I can remove the key, however I cannot return the key back to the original "off" position, nor move it forward to start the engine.

I have tried the following things to try and fix the problem, to no avail:
1) wiggled the steering wheel while trying to crank the key, as I thought it was a wheel lock problem
2) put the car in neutral, and tried to crank

The same thing had happened to me about a year ago, and I ended up having to order a new key cylinder and key from the dealership, which makes me wonder why this has happened again. I'm hoping I dont have to fork over another $450 to fix this problem.

I suspect that this is a key cylinder problem, however any help would be really appreciated. The key I am using is brand new, as well as the key cylinder, so I am baffled at this point. Thanks!
BostonGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
kenmar
3rd Gear Member

Since the cylinder is relatively new, I'm guessing it's the housing that it fits into that has now worn out. There are mechanical pieces in the both pieces, so both are subject to wear. I had issues a few years ago and I replaced both units just to be safe and it's been fine since. IIRC, I bought my cylinder from www.autopartsway.ca and my housing from www.pelicanparts.com. The cylinder was well less than $100 which is a fraction of the dealer price. The only problem is that you end up with a different key.
kenmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #3
BostonGreen
1st Gear Newbie

If I end up with a different key, then it would it not be compatible with my trunk and door locks?
BostonGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
kenmar
3rd Gear Member

Correct. But with my car, I have an aftermarket alarm remote so I rarely use the actual door/trunk keys. If I were you, I would get the parts online and put the savings towards an aftermarket remote. I got both components online for less than what you paid just for one component. It's been about 4 years since and no problems whatsoever.

Last edited by kenmar; 02-14-2013 at 08:22 AM.
kenmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: