Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
jamrobin
1st Gear Newbie

Question 1994 318iS weird differences

I'm getting confused.

I have a '94 318iS as my DD ... it is not quite the same as a '93 and it's not quite the same as a '94??? The way cool Russian VIN Decoder tells me that it was manufactured 1993-11-12. (is that Nov. 12 or Dec. 11??)

I picked up a '99 M3 so now I'm back to 2 cars and can take one out of service for a while and not end up stranded. That means I can do some maintenance items that I was afraid to start in case I had to run out and get something to finish the job... Voice of experience is LOUD ;-)

Now I'm trying to find things like belts (my 318 has 3 seperate belts), ignition wires (just changed a bad coil and the wire that went to it is badly corroded and can't possibly be sending good spark)

Wires are either '91-'93 or '95-'99 Which ones do I need? (there's over a hundred dollars difference in the low end!)

What the heck are the belt sizes??? Very few on-line stores seem to list the 3 belt ones and the few that do all say either discontinued or out of stock.

Thanks for any info you can offer, the closest dealer or independant are over 200km away (and I'm not paying Dealer's prices or Rudy's for parts)

Jamie
jamrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

wow, the dreaded 3 belt setup, yikes. ebay it or www.pelicanparts.com
Old 01-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
jamrobin
1st Gear Newbie

Wishing I had measured when I swapped out the alternator in the summer but too late now... Anyone know what the correct belt sizes actually are? I'm assuming/hoping that they're not total odd-balls and I can pick them up at almost any auto part store. I noticed that they were all due for replacement when I did the alt but thought at the time that I could just punch the year and make into a part finder but no such luck... they almost all list the 2 belt sizes... or is it easy surgery to change to that setup? It's -35C with windchill out right now so I'll not be running out to pull belts to measure them just now!
jamrobin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: