Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
noid
5th Gear Member

Anyone know of reasonabily priced shops that can press in/out bushings?

Have my rear subframe out and completely disassembled, I only need a shop to press in and out the subframe bushings and trailing arm bushings.

Anyone know of any shops that will do it for a reasonable price?
noid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Was going to tell you to ask that guy in burlington offering he's garage for free, but then realized that was you, haha.

While i'm sure any shop with a press should be able to do it, I don't know any in your area. Another option, given that you are such a DIY'er is buying a cheap press.

For about $200 you can get something like this, maybe even cheaper if you look for something used. You'll need to find a few metal pieces here and there to fit the part to push them out. If you have a ball joint kit, they usually come with a few.
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/prod...Ton-Shop-Press
Old 12-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
noid
5th Gear Member

I really don't need a press. To push them in an industrial vise is sufficent, which I already have. I called RMP and even they burn them out. I just wanted to avoid being "that guy" burning out bushings on the street. But at $250 for RMP to do it I think ill just be doing it myself.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
_JohnnyD_
2nd Gear Member

Burning them out is a messy process. Its a pain in the a$$ to clean out the melted rubber from the holes for the bushings in the control arms. The sub frame bushings have a steel sleeve that you'll need to cut out once your done burning the rubber. I had mine pressed out and new bushings pressed in at Lock St. Auto in Hamilton but his price was far from reasonable.

Good luck.

Henry Ford
_JohnnyD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
DIRT_Racer
2nd Gear Member

also, if you have a cheap ball joint press from princess auto, it can also be used for doing just what you are thinking!

See the #90 DIRT 318i @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Just cause it has BMW logo, doesnt mean the logo is MADE OF PURE GOLD. If its rusted and 20 years old. ITS RUSTED AND 20 YEARS OLD!!!

Locked Your DIff and hate it?

Give me a shout, will buy em up cheap, DIRT tracks are the ONLY place for a welded diff!!
DIRT_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
kenmar
3rd Gear Member

You can try Howard at his machine shop called New Dimension (ND). 101 Meyerside Dr, U#5 in Mississauga at 905-867-4234

I had him do some machining for me and asked him about pressing in ball joints and the quote was pretty cheap (sorry, don't remember the exact $ value). He said he would be able to handle pretty much anything after being in the auto machining business for close to half a century.
kenmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #7
noid
5th Gear Member

Burned out the subframe bushings out today.

Was still a pain to get out, sawzalling wasnt that effective (I choose not go over do it since I do not want to saw into the subframe tube).

I used my industrial vise to keep crimping the exposed end while heating the outside with a mapp torch. After a while of messing with it, it came out. The other side I decided to try something new. I took a 1 1/2 inch metal electrical pipe coupler from lowes, that fit PERFECTLY.

In the vise, on one end I used the 1 1/2 pipe, on the other I used two sockets on the tips of the subframe, which worked well. Heating the outside of the bushing tube with a mapp torch helps.

The whole process would have been easier with a helper. The marjority of my time was spent wrangling the subframe on the vise.

For the trailing arms I got a 7/16 threaded rod from lowes, five 7/16 nuts and an assortment of washers:

Excuse the blurry shot:

Last edited by noid; 12-23-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:22 AM   #8
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post

For about $200 you can get something like this, maybe even cheaper if you look for something used. You'll need to find a few metal pieces here and there to fit the part to push them out. If you have a ball joint kit, they usually come with a few.
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/prod...Ton-Shop-Press
That press goes on sale once in a while for around 80 bucks...

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: