Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

blower issues

So I've recently been having issues with the blower on my E30.

Ever since I got the car (a year ago), my blower has had this squeaking noise. Thing is, it only lasts about 5 seconds when I turn the blower on, then disappears. Sounds like a bearing, but cages spin freely.

Then, I my 1-3 settings. Cleaned out the resistor, got #3 back, but no joy on #1 and 2. I'm getting a new resistor today, hopefully that'll solve it.

After some research, it would seem the fan motor is on its way out. Had the same problem for 8000 kms now, though...

any thoughts?
TSI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
cormier
6th Gear Member

Change you resistor and then see. If its functional I wouldn't bother changing it, but if the sounds really bugging you a new blower should fix it up

Or try some wd40?

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

The only thing you can really do is pull the blower and try to get some lube in the bearings, but that's really only going to be a temporary fix. If you're going to go through the hassle of pulling the blower you might as well replace it.

Mine is starting to chirp here and there as well. I'm going to have to change it before the winter to avoid having no heat when it's -30C lol.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Tried WD40, lasted a week. I read gear oil is recommended, but I'm terrified of the smell.

I was leaving to pick up a new resistor from Rich, got called in for a meeting...but the first two settings started working again...this I do not comprehend :S
Old 11-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSI View Post
Tried WD40, lasted a week. I read gear oil is recommended, but I'm terrified of the smell.

I was leaving to pick up a new resistor from Rich, got called in for a meeting...but the first two settings started working again...this I do not comprehend :S
It's called Marty McFly syndrome... shit doesn't work, then you hit it or go over a bump or a breeze hits it just the right way and it works again... for a while... until it doesn't lol. You're better off to still go pick up another resistor.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
It's called Marty McFly syndrome... shit doesn't work, then you hit it or go over a bump or a breeze hits it just the right way and it works again... for a while... until it doesn't lol. You're better off to still go pick up another resistor.
Yeah...gonna get one from the states next month when I'm in Florida. I hate how much cheaper everything is there.
And don't even get me started on Europe.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #7
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

you'e working with an old car. stuff happens. the chirping is easy fix. Turn your radio up!! lol. or change the blower motor. NOT uncommon for the bearing to get dry. shit I had a new motor do that to me. remember NOS sits on the shelf for ages and stuff dries out. No guarantees. As for the resistor? I'd change it for good measure.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:18 PM   #8
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

I'd love to turn the radio up, but the antenna is broken and the tape head needs cleaning...
just kidding.

I have to admit, I love the idiosyncrasies of it. I think I'd go insane if everything just worked.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #9
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Don't use wd40! that will dry out the bearing. Use a spray on lube that will not evaporate. Really a few drops of regular motor oil should work better.

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: