Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
wolf_e39
2nd Gear Member

rustproofing

well now that the snow is almost here and we are all trying to take care of our cars as best as possible, rustproofing is the first thing that come to my mind in terms of protection.

now what are places that you guys recommend to do rust proofing ?
i want to make sure my car will not pick up any rust this winter. it is 100% rust free and i intend to keep it that way.
what do you guys recommend.
i do drive my car a lot during the winter so i need some really good protection
wolf_e39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
Oyster
4th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_e39 View Post
well now that the snow is almost here and we are all trying to take care of our cars as best as possible, rustproofing is the first thing that come to my mind in terms of protection.

now what are places that you guys recommend to do rust proofing ?
i want to make sure my car will not pick up any rust this winter. it is 100% rust free and i intend to keep it that way.
what do you guys recommend.
i do drive my car a lot during the winter so i need some really good protection
Krown on Laird is what we use....was sold when I saw my buddy's 14year old mazda with no rust
Old 10-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
wolf_e39
2nd Gear Member

yes Krown is what i am looking at using
do they simply spray the car with a solution ?
i have gone on their website and i am not 100% worry free with the fact that they say they drill small holes around your body in order to get the spray trough the inside of all the panels
Old 10-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
Oyster
4th Gear Member

Quote:
yes Krown is what i am looking at using
do they simply spray the car with a solution ?
i have gone on their website and i am not 100% worry free with the fact that they say they drill small holes around your body in order to get the spray trough the inside of all the panels
yes they drill and plug holes. As long as you do it every year it won't rust where they drill and the whole car.

my previous car e39 started to rust so I got rid of it. Now we have a more recent car, I intend to keep it longer with no rust (we put 10-15k km year) but pisses me off to have a rusty car

I looked at everything out there, KROWN was it
Old 10-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
Big Chin
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster View Post
Krown on Laird is what we use....was sold when I saw my buddy's 14year old mazda with no rust
+1!! They did my F150... I was like $70 lol... I would get it done soon... line ups are gonna start soon...
Old 10-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
Discostar
2nd Gear Member

If you dont want them to drill holes in your car, just tell them not to drill and they wont.

I have used Krown for years. They do a great job for the most part.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
Antonreality
1st Gear Newbie

I've owned multiple vehicles over the last 25 years. I've had the Krown treatment and the sticky stuff done on past cars. What I don't like about the Krown method is not the drilling of holes, it's the liquid that leaks out over a period of 3 months. I can't stand this. I wash the car and wax and 20 mins later the liquid dribbles out. Drives me nuts.

So, my preference is spend a bit more and get the sticky spray (they don't drill holes) for the first 2 years. It definitely works with no drilling. I've done this for the past 3 cars (I keep my cars for about 8 years) by having the sticky spray for first 2 years and found there is no rust in the areas they sprayed.

I'm sure many will debate this but at the end of the day it's what your comfortable with.

Besides, if it rusts after 8 years, I don't care because I'm unloading the car anyways.
Antonreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:21 AM   #8
wolf_e39
2nd Gear Member

i love the fact that my car is 100% clean
i intend to keep it and make it a project car in the long run . but untill then the car sees about 30 to 35K a year
i will make an appointment with them for next week and i will tell them i want the best protection they have

technically the bmw shouldn't even rust right i mean the body is dipped in some special solution to prevent rusting after all right. i have heard that all cars made in Germany have the same treatment??
Old 10-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
Oyster
4th Gear Member

Quote:
i love the fact that my car is 100% clean
i intend to keep it and make it a project car in the long run . but untill then the car sees about 30 to 35K a year
i will make an appointment with them for next week and i will tell them i want the best protection they have

technically the bmw shouldn't even rust right i mean the body is dipped in some special solution to prevent rusting after all right. i have heard that all cars made in Germany have the same treatment??
after 11 years (model 2000), surface rust appeared
Old 10-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #10
wolf_e39
2nd Gear Member

Yes i have a 2000 model as well and i am trying to avoid the same problem you had
Old 10-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #11
Dinanstu
3rd Gear Member

Krown. Whats the problem with drilling holes? You need the oil spray in the panels so it gets into the creases and folds.
The leaking and dripping is a pain, but that's what works! It will egress into the spots that you really need to protect.

'97 bmw - rust free
'96 volvo - rust free
Old 10-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #12
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

My '00 e38 has small bubble blisters along the factory bead seals. I grounded it off only to see surface rust underneath. Had all four doors grounded to the metal and resealed and painted. Been using Krown for the past 10 years with no further issue. Mind you, this car only seen Summer weather only for the past 7 years. My daily driver truck has been sprayed for the last 7 years and no issues there. As long as there's oil residue on the surface of the panels there will be moisture dissipation and no rust so I don't mind the occasional drip. I actually ask my guy in Streetsville to drench it good so it has extra protection.

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #13
wolf_e39
2nd Gear Member

i have made an appointment with them for friday to be save
i will tell them to put as much as possible
Old 11-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
jay01_brown
OBSERVE

Keep us posted
jay01_brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #15
jettalong
1st Gear Newbie

Do any of you who use a rustproofing/oiling treatment like Krown, remove the plastic splash guards that are underneath the vehicle prior to the application?
jettalong is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: