Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
dcramer
5th Gear Member

clunk in rear when going over bumps

I suspect this is a control arm bushing but wondering if anyone has any other ideas.

I thought it was the muffler, as it happens in corners, but I'm pretty sure it's not. I hear it when I back out of my driveway over the little lip between the road and driveway, mostly when I am on an angle to the bump. Or going around corners.

There's nothing obviously loose. The normal places have been checked. RTAB, and the shock mounts are good.

Anyone ?

Dave
Old 10-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Peel the interior trim back on the sides of the trunk. Bounce the car and watch for excessive movement in the shock mounts.

Ahh with your car not sure if you need to peel the cover back or if they poke out, or have an access hatch of some kind.

Could be a number of things, including a broken muffler hanger. Just take a look.

Performance one step at a time.

Last edited by InfiniteDice; 10-26-2012 at 03:15 PM.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

I have a similar issue but the noise is not consistent and difficult to reproduce. Usually it goes away on the trip to StanceFactory. Hasn't come back since I had it checked out last.

I'm in to see what you dig up.

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Same, haven't pin pointed it. I changed my shock mounts, still there. Changed RTAB still there.

Next I'm just going to rebuild the the whole rear end and change all bushings/rear ball joints. It could be anything from a diff bolt to a sub frame bushing to a rear ball joint, I just can't pin point it, so the plan was to do all at once.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

This is a long shot, but you guys should check your parking brakes. I had a rear spring break on me, resulting in the retainers for the brake shoes being partially ripped out of the backing plate. It would cause occasional binding of the shoes on the rotor which manifested as a pretty violent clunk. It was also sporadic and hard to reproduce. I replaced the RTABS to no avail and was losing my mind poring over all the rear end components trying to find the problem. Checking the parking brakes was a desperate last-gasp effort (seemed the least likely culprit) but ended up being the problem.

It's worth a look.
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

best explanation I've heard so far, "make sure the hooker is 100% dead before you stuff them in the trunk"

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
nevin
1st Gear Newbie

+1 on the parking brake. I had the shoe-retaining quarter-turn fasteners pull out of the dust guard. Parking brake would randomly engage while driving, felt like my tranny/diff/rear end was about to explode. Only clue was a subtle brake dragging noise when buildings reflected my car noise back to me.
nevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
sb_600
5th Gear Member

could also be a swaybar endlink...
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:06 AM   #9
Dinanstu
2nd Gear Member

Pull the mats from the trunk and examine the metal mounts that the shock(s) is(are) mounted to. Look for hair-line fractures in the metal from fatigue.

It happened to me...
Old 11-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #10
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
Same, haven't pin pointed it. I changed my shock mounts, still there. Changed RTAB still there.

Next I'm just going to rebuild the the whole rear end and change all bushings/rear ball joints. It could be anything from a diff bolt to a sub frame bushing to a rear ball joint, I just can't pin point it, so the plan was to do all at once.

Hmmm. I"m thinking inner bushing but of course the exhaust is on that side which makes it even more of a PITA to do .

going to shannonville tomorrow, one last kick at the can, then I will start tearing it apart.

I'm with you though, one of those bushings must be the problem.

Dave
Old 11-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #11
Dinanstu
2nd Gear Member

You never mentioned if you examined this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mount.jpg (93.8 KB, 93 views)
Old 11-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
dcramer
5th Gear Member

In my first post I said I have checked all the usual suspects. Including the shock mounts.

Additionally I didn't mention that I heard the clunk when jacking the car up the other day. I lifted one side up quite high and it clunked.

Dave
Old 11-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #13
Dinanstu
2nd Gear Member

I had to be certain. Some people check the integrity of the rubber mount but not the metal piece.

Subframe bushings might need to be changed...Also check the subframe itself for integrity. If thats the case, change them anyways..
Old 11-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

That's a good point, I've been checking that area for cracks each time I look at my mounts but haven't found anything.
My trunk carpet has been out for years, so I do have easy access to it. My shocks have been in and out many times due to the stupid externally adjustable koni setup.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #15
Blades
Your opinion is to long

it could be hundreds of things .. you could be a loose tire iron or spare tire

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: