Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Ontario
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
subarooo
2nd Gear Member

POLICE safety inspection?

So i just got pulled over for being to "low". Ended up getting a road side inspection. He got me with a bunch of things but only ticketed me with no horn (easy fix). But hes making me go for a safety inspection on wednesday. He said im aloud to fix stuff before i go in, Only one issue. Im on bags, Whats the law about bags? Considering i made my own brackets and welded them on i think im screwed. Im pretty sure i can fix everything else, the horn, put my stock wheels on. But im not sure about the laws on bags, Im running a manual system, so if they over inflate they'll blow the sleeve up. So i have to tell them what im running. I also cant put the stock stuff back in. I had to cut the trailing arm apart to make it work.

Any help?

Car in question

subarooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:12 AM   #2
1bmw1
3rd Gear Member

Sorry to hear this happened to you. I guess the cop wasn't a car enthusiast lol.

Joking aside, They can't force you to put your car back on the road. If you can't get the things fixed on your car before Wednesday, i think you're entitled to let them know that you are not going to bring the car in because you don't have enough time to fix the issues therefore tell them you're prepared to have the car taken off the road until you can fix it. After that, i think you'll be ok to get it saftied and e-tested elsewhere and get it back on the road as if you would on your own.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
You can voluntarily decline the inspection (car's status will be changed to unfit). Then all you need is a safety to get it back on the road. I wouldn't recommend doing this often, they will catch on.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
subarooo
2nd Gear Member

Will they inspect it after i get the safety? I think a hot safety is my only choice at this point.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
IChopCars
aka ROOFLESS

why dont you set the bags to a reasonable height and then disconnect the switchs. Just tell them that its an air suspension instead of your standard macpherson strut. Lots of vehicles come with airbag susension from the factory.

If not, like you said above. A non legit safety is the way to go.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
dylanneon
1st Gear Newbie

yeah, technically adjustable air suspension is against the hta, but if you disconnect/hide the switches you may be able to get away with it. at this point it would come down to how much the tech knows about bmw and how professional the install looks.
dylanneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
subarooo
2nd Gear Member

I can't remove the switches. All the air will drain out because im on a manual setup. And I'm pretty sure the guy who started "erace" is doing my inspection. I'm getting pretty nervous that it won't pass. Do I have to get a special safety after its deemed as unsafe?
Old 10-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

It's not hard to pass a safety. If it doesn't pass a safety, then it's unsafe.

Getting a "fake safety" is stupid. Just make your car legal and that's that. If you bullshit your way to a fake safety then you're putting the technicians license at risk. Mind you, if they're a good tech, they won't pass it.

Read up on the safety legislation on air ride if that's all you're concerned about.
02 325i Sedan
SamE30e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
subarooo
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamE30e View Post
It's not hard to pass a safety. If it doesn't pass a safety, then it's unsafe.

Getting a "fake safety" is stupid. Just make your car legal and that's that. If you bullshit your way to a fake safety then you're putting the technicians license at risk. Mind you, if they're a good tech, they won't pass it.

Read up on the safety legislation on air ride if that's all you're concerned about.
The car is safe, the only thing I'm nervous about are the bags. Nothing in the HTA says anything about air assiste suspension or ride hight.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by subarooo View Post
The car is safe, the only thing I'm nervous about are the bags. Nothing in the HTA says anything about air assiste suspension or ride hight.
Talk to some VW guys. There's lots of them rolling around on bags. I'm sure some of them have had to do a safety at some point in time.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #11
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subarooo View Post
Then you have nothing to worry about. Just make sure everything is in order. If they say it fails because of the air ride. Ask to see the regulations against the infraction.

Your car doesn't even technically need lights to pass safety.
02 325i Sedan
Old 10-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanneon View Post
yeah, technically adjustable air suspension is against the hta, but if you disconnect/hide the switches you may be able to get away with it. at this point it would come down to how much the tech knows about bmw and how professional the install looks.
lots of cars come with stock airbags, including BMW and some of them are adjustable (Rangr Rover and older Subaru's) and they are legal!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
Blades
Your opinion is to long

My fathers old lincoln Mark 5 came STOCK on bags .. smoothest ride ever. I don't see how they can make one car legal on bags and another not. It must be only the height issue and that it is adjustable while driving (safety concern) if there was a way to hide the switches you should be ok.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #14
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

Because you're modifying the factory suspension design. He said he made his own. Not saying his is shit, but some people have no idea what they're doing, making it unsafe. If I was on the highway and someone hit me as a result of something like this, I would lose it.
02 325i Sedan
Old 10-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #15
MANDD
Autobahn East

Check out this link From York Regional Police.

www.yrp.ca/erase/side.htm
MANDD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: