Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

06' m5 e60

Hello guys,

I've been looking around a lot lately as I've been wanting to trade in our MS3 and get back into the BMW scene. There's a M5 that's in my price range and I've done some research about issues ect. Wondering how everyone else is dealing with their M5 that's a E60. I would love to own it, but considering the SMG pump issue and oil consumption along with other various issues. It makes me question if buying an 06' M5 is worth it.

Also, if taking the VIN to a dealership, would they run the VIN# and see if the recalls have been dealt with? I would like to get a service history about the car before I make a final decision.

Thank you!
Old 10-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

The e60 M5 is not a budget car. They are inexpensive to buy now, but they still demand the pockets of someone who would have bought it new.
A client and I looked at a few recently before he bought one and this is what my take is on it;
1) Make sure it wasn't driven hard and put away wet. A lot of them were purchased off Lease by people who drove the piss out of them and now are unloading them cheap.
2) THey drink oil and gas A LOT.
3) SMG - Make sure you have 1500$ to put towards repairs at any time unless it was already done. It is a jerky transmission. I hated it, the only time I liked it was when I was driving balls out. The rest of the time I couldn't STAND IT!!! So spend some time driving it to see if you like the drive.
4)They ride extremely well on the HWY and have a good, stiffish ride.
5)Accident hostory, a lot of them fond their way up here from the states when they were much cheaper in 08-10 and have questionable history.
6) Dealers will tell you if the recalls were done, they will also tell you (once you track it down from BMW Canada HQ) where it was last serviced and what was done. They will not give you a copy of that info however (from my experience).
Happy hunting, but they aren't cheap cars to own even though they have become affordable to purchase.
The torque isn't that impressive until you are up in the rev band for a V10, but it sounds nice.

I would recommend you spend time on e60 section on the M5board.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the input. I was looking @ a nice 08' 135i but it just recently sold so I was leaning towards a M series and I've always liked the 5ers. Now I'm debating if I should hold off till spring for more incoming cars and maybe see if a nice 335i or 135i pops onto the market. I would like to get the paddle shift if I can due to the fact that my gf wants to drive the vehicle as well (Don't want to buy clutches).
Old 10-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
Rob M5
2nd Gear Member

i just bought one from bmw toronto and love it.

Not sure your budget but they have one that just came in and is not listed. White colour 06 with 60kms. 1 owner originally bought at that dealer as well. Very clean.

If you're interested I could patch you through to the guy that helped me on mine.

They are asking around $37K prolly let it go for 34ish in my opinion.
Rob M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Sounds decent. I'm going Sat. to look @ a nice 2010 135i blue on beige for around 28k. I want to keep my payments around the same so if I can trade it in for something around the same price range then we might be able to jump back into the BMW scene.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:14 AM   #6
Dally
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M5 View Post
i just bought one from bmw toronto and love it.

Not sure your budget but they have one that just came in and is not listed. White colour 06 with 60kms. 1 owner originally bought at that dealer as well. Very clean.

If you're interested I could patch you through to the guy that helped me on mine.

They are asking around $37K prolly let it go for 34ish in my opinion.
I saw that car waiting for delivery...I wanted it. I got the silver 06 with 60k on it instead. Just cleaning it up, painting the front bumper...touching up stuff etc.

Just looking for parts now...got some rims already (21 inch lol) gonna paint the stock 19s myself when I get it. Got some H&R springs on the way too.

Question,

Did you buy the warranty they touted? looks like it may be an idea. I'm giong to look further into and see if the smg pump and vanos's are covered, unless you happen to know?

Dally is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: