Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-10-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
Dr. G
1st Gear Newbie

Shop that can Fab Custom Caliper Brackets

Anybody know any shops that have experience in fabricating customer caliper brackets in the GTA?
Dr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Why GTA? Talk to Lee at Massive brakes. He's in Montreal, and he's already got dozens of models covered.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Just a spacer with some holes drilled? or something a little more intricate with a radial mount?

Try that massive brakes guy, but any machine shop can handle either kind(incl in brampton. Get online/open a phone book and find a local guy). You can make the first kind yourself quite easily.

what kind of calipers?

Last edited by SiR; 10-10-2012 at 09:43 AM.
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
Dr. G
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
Why GTA? Talk to Lee at Massive brakes. He's in Montreal, and he's already got dozens of models covered.
I will get in touch with him and see if he can do just a set of brackets customized to my requirements, thanks for the info. I was under the impression he just sold what's listed on the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
Just a spacer with some holes drilled? or something a little more intricate with a radial mount?

Try that massive brakes guy, but any machine shop can handle either kind(incl in brampton. Get online/open a phone book and find a local guy). You can make the first kind yourself quite easily.

what kind of calipers?
There's a couple setups I was looking into, but going to start with what looks like the easiest which is a porsche 18z caliper fitted to oem e92 348x30 rotors. Not sure how crazy the brackets going to get yet.

I was just wondering if there's someone who can fabricate + design the bracket as well since most of the shops require you to already have a sample or drawing ready. My concern with fabbing my own sample bracket is that the only material I might be able to make a sample from would be wood and getting the cuts and drilling perfectly straight and angled correctly is nearly impossible by hand so these flaws would follow through to the cnc'ed product aswell.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:16 AM   #5
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
There's a couple setups I was looking into, but going to start with what looks like the easiest which is a porsche 18z caliper fitted to oem e92 348x30 rotors. Not sure how crazy the brackets going to get yet.
I had the 18Z's on my S4, it should be fairly straight forward for you to make a bracket since you will only have to worry about rotor offset since they mount similar to the stock calipers via the ears from the back side.

I just bought a BBK that was made by a guy in Switzerland which uses the 8 pot calipers from a Cayenne on the front (and the 4 pots in the back), and they use the e46 CSL rotors with custom brackets, something else to consider.

Here's a few pics of my BBK:

And the back for reference:

Old 10-11-2012, 03:30 AM   #6
Dr. G
1st Gear Newbie

Hey thanks for that response.

I actually came across those exact pics today somewhere haha, I'm guessing it was a thread from your on some forum or maybe the guy in switzerland.

The offset is the only thing I need to figure out right now. It's hard to determine what offset I would need since I don't have the calipers yet so I cant really see how they mount up in relation to the rotors.

I was considering the e46 csl's as a backup if I needed more room behind the caliper to fit the brackets in.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

why not buy some metal plate at the appropriate width and thickness thats likely to be close(which youll have to see after you have your other parts).

take some measurements/test fit...make a few scribes/marks and off you go to the shop to get it milled/drilled
Old 10-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
Dr. G
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
why not buy some metal plate at the appropriate width and thickness thats likely to be close(which youll have to see after you have your other parts).

take some measurements/test fit...make a few scribes/marks and off you go to the shop to get it milled/drilled

Was up until 9 in the morning reading forums and fabbing up cardboard brackets

I think I got it figured out now haha, I'm going to have some custom rotor hats made for me that will allow me to use a very very simple bracket design.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
dcramer
5th Gear Member

rallyroad in the states makes the brackets for the porsche calipers no need to go to switzerland
Old 10-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
Dr. G
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer View Post
rallyroad in the states makes the brackets for the porsche calipers no need to go to switzerland

Spoke to them a while ago, they are still working on developing something for the e92. The kit will be using 370mm rotors though, so it makes it hard to have any options for winter wheels.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:12 AM   #11
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer View Post
The rallyroad brackets use the small 4 piston Boxster S calipers.

The OP is wanting to use a MUCH larger caliper and also the 18Z mounts completely different vs. the Boxster calipers.

As for my kit from Switzerland, I bought it for a price that couldn't be beat for a pre-fabbed up F/R kit.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #12
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

lol the boxster caliper(and 911) is not small...its just not ridiculously massive.

996 turbo S calipers are quite large and rallyroad does have a bracket for that one( its not listed on their site).

you got a decent deal for all 4 corners. Anyone can make their own bbk with basically any caliper out there. Just do some calcs to make sure bias is acceptable , take some measurements/do research and off you go...machine yourself or get it done at local place. There are a lot of machine shops in ontario that are more than capable enough to make a simple caliper bracket. Its not hugely difficult.

with so many cars coming with some nice brembo calipers these days there isnt much need to buy some wacky new set up for 4k.

Last edited by SiR; 10-12-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #13
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
lol the boxster caliper(and 911) is not small...its just not ridiculously massive.

996 turbo S calipers are quite large and rallyroad does have a bracket for that one( its not listed on their site).
They're small in comparison to the 18Z's. It's all relative.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
RMPMOTORS
MaXsponsor

We have a local CNC shop make our brackets.

Give me a call we can get it done for you.

Eibach-Koni-Bilstein-H&R-Powerflex-KW Suspension-OEM Parts+ MORE
EUROPEAN AUTO SERVICE & PERFORMANCE

www.RMPMOTORS.com

www.Facebook.com/RMPMotors
RMPMOTORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #15
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
They're small in comparison to the 18Z's. It's all relative.
I guess... solely for the bling factor because I doubt they would be an improvement in performance compared to the "little" boxsters.

what is the bias on your new set up?

Last edited by SiR; 10-12-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: