Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Classifieds > For Sale > BMW Cars For Sale
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
Canadian144
2nd Gear Member

1986 535i E28

Up for sale is an 86 BMW 535i. Has been stored inside an insulated barn for the past 5-6 years or so, and started occasionally.

Car still runs and drives like a champ. Manual transmission is silky smooth. New fluids all around, brake calipers rebuilt and pistons lubed, brake lines repaired, fuel lines repaired, new muffler, and more. Interior is in great shape (door panels removed in pictures but obviously included)

Car is SOLID underneath, no rust on quarter panels, all original metal.

Needs some work (mostly cosmetic) but is a great starting point. You don't find many this clean anymore.

Have many other parts and a few other E28s for sale, come see them in person and lets work something out. Car is located near Georgetown. Looking for $2,500 OBO...

Canadian144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
f0rge
2nd Gear Member

mileage?
Old 08-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Canadian144
2nd Gear Member

29x,xxx km. Can't remember it exactly. Just under 300,000. But that's an average of only 11,000/year!

Car was originally owned by a doctor in Richmond hill who took great care of it, always maintained at BMW of Richmond hill (or whatever it was called) as is evident when flipping through the service section of the manual.

Were the 3rd owner, 2nd was some guy who was the cause of most of the cosmetic blemishes. Mechanically the car is still solid though.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
Canadian144
2nd Gear Member

Bump......
Old 09-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
MrRWD
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian144 View Post
Up for sale is an 86 BMW 535i. Has been stored inside an insulated barn for the past 5-6 years or so, and started occasionally.
Car still runs and drives like a champ.
I would recommend you spend 1-2 hours doing a quick detail job on the car. It looks solid, and you might have a better chance of getting more people to come see the car.

- Wash the car
- Use a quick liquid wax or traditional turtle wax paste (it will buff the paint a bit). Even use some detail spray to give a bit of shine if you are pressed for time.
- Spend some time on the interior. Use a leather cleaner and dress up the seats a bit.
- Tire shine on the tires.

The car looks solid, so it might be worth the time.

I helped out with a friends estate sale. The car drove great, but had some scratches on the rear fenders and rear door.

Older driver + Parking Garages = POOR CAR

Didn't post it on max (lowballers), but spent some time getting the car look the best it can. The smart buyers knew what they were getting. Priced right. They could see the good and the bad.

It sold in 1 week.
MrRWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
Canadian144
2nd Gear Member

^ I would but no time and no running water at the barn...

bump
Old 10-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
Canadian144
2nd Gear Member

Someone gitter before winter...
Old 11-25-2012, 01:20 AM   #8
Canadian144
2nd Gear Member

Can't edit original post so I'll add this in here..

To be a little more upfront and direct about what it needs:

Exterior wise ... I think all of the flaws are apparent in the pictures. The biggest thing is probably the driver's fender dent. The body is mostly much rust-free, rear quarters are very clean. The hood is a little dented/bent but will shut (shown being open though!)

Interior wise ... the seats don't have tears but should be cleaned. Both driver/passenger headrests don't operate properly (just click), I read it is a pretty common issue for E28s. The front door panels are included but currently not installed. The drivers seat backs are in the trunk. The drivers seat has a "lean" to it, as it leans to the right side of the car. I think the front speaker covers are cracked. The stereo/radio works but whenever you adjust the volume, it makes a loud "beep". Finally, the trunk is stuck shut - not sure if this is related to the central locking system, or if the lock itself is seized.

Mechanically .... the engine/trans run and shift fine. We had some problems with the fuel pump but after replacing it, it has been operating fine. The car has a limited slip diff. We replaced the muffler as well. Some of the hard brake lines and gas lines were rotten so we had to repair them. The calipers had seized, so we disassembled them, lubricated them, and painted them. They seem to brake well now, but the ABS isn't functioning right, and there is little initial braking when pressing the pedal. When you slam the brakes, it takes like 1/2 a second for them to respond, and then they brake very quickly. I think the master cylinder needs to be lubricated.

Electrical wise... the windows and sunroof were working, however when we were doing some of the other work, they stopped. We didn't investigate why. The central locking system is also not working.

I realize there are quite a few things to look into, however the car is in pretty good shape overall, not rotted out, and does run great. I am being as honest as possible in posting all of the issues. If someone bought this now, they could very easily have it all finished up in time for next season.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
Canadian144
2nd Gear Member

Bump, had a buyer make us an offer which we agreed to but then he flaked out.... car is FS again...
Old 02-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
Canadian144
2nd Gear Member

bump, so many flakers making internet offers & in person offers that never come through.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
DAM
Trinational 951

So much potential.

Are you on 15th sideroad? There's a farm there that had an e30 (coupe I believe) sitting in a field for quite a few years, used to drive by it all the time.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
Canadian144
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAM View Post
So much potential.

Are you on 15th sideroad? There's a farm there that had an e30 (coupe I believe) sitting in a field for quite a few years, used to drive by it all the time.
No, that's not me unfortunately! I'm closer to Winston Churchill/Steeles. There's quite a few old cars sitting around in fields in the area, I think there used to be an old Road Runner sitting in a field north up near winston churchill and 22nd side road.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #13
Canadian144
2nd Gear Member

bump er uppp
Old 06-10-2013, 12:28 AM   #14
Canadian144
2nd Gear Member

Bump... price dropped, $2,000 obo
Old 06-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #15