Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #16
Dinanstu
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328IScreamer View Post
Even though you lost your clutch fan your car should not have over heated. Anybody who knows e36s will tell you one of them most common mods is to just remove the clutch fan completely as there is still the aux fan which is ran electically. This way you don't get the drag on the motor when it kicks on.

As for why you over heated maybe both of your fans quit working or your thermostat got jammed. Also possible you have a crack in one of your rad hoses. There are a couple posabilities but I don't think you cracked your head gasket or did any damage to your motor from what you described. I have seen these motors take a sh^t kicking in my day with no issues.

I disagree.

Removing the clutch fan and not replacing it with an electric alternate is not a mod, it's just removing the first stage of engine cooling. The aux fan comes on if that is inadequate or the A/C is on.
Dinanstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #17
328IScreamer
6th Gear Member

I've owned 2 e36's for close to 10 years both with this mod and neither have ever passed the half way mark temp wise. Even in stop and go traffic on hot days. There is nopthing wrong with having the aux fan come on in place of the clutch fan.

This is a very common mod and has already been mentioned in this post by others having no issues after romoving clutch fan.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #18
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

keep in mind the aux fan mod is just taking the mechanical fan off. it also involves a lower temp fan switch and lower temp t stat
Old 07-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #19
Dinanstu
2nd Gear Member

I just don't consider that a "mod". The E36 has its own cooling issues, why compound the risk? I don't consider removing the spare tire or the A/C system for weight reduction a mod either....

Just my opinion...
Dinanstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #20
limenuke
2nd Gear Member

How does the E36 fare without its clutch fan if you do a clutch fan "delete" and do NOT put in the aux fan + lower tstat?
limenuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #21
328IScreamer
6th Gear Member

you do not need to put in the aux fan it is already there, just an lower t-stat which a lot of people don't bother with. I didn't bother with is on one of my e36s and drove it for 3 years with no issues at all.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #22
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Quote:
Originally Posted by limenuke View Post
How does the E36 fare without its clutch fan if you do a clutch fan "delete" and do NOT put in the aux fan + lower tstat?
It would overheat. You need the aux fan to be working. I have the fan delete mod and I have to be careful that the aux fan works. Whenever it stops working, it will overheat at idle/slow traffic.

Don't worry, if there isn't coolant in the oil, and if there's no oil in your coolant, you're fine. I've overheated mine a few times over the years. The last time a shop was doing an e-test and didn't listen to me to keep the heat blasting inside the car (aux fan was broken). This is something you can do if you see your car is overheating. Moves the heat away from the engine and into the car. The car wouldn't start after they did that and I was pretty scared but after 10min it started again and everything seems to be fine 9 months later...

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:17 AM   #23
limenuke
2nd Gear Member

@Flav,Sir,Screamer
- If you remove the main clutch fan but do NOT get a lower t-stat and fan switch for the aux fan (which we assume to be working), how will the car fare?

Well I'm back in Toronto and with my car.

Things I noticed:
1) No white smoke out of back of engine. (Good!)
2) No visible oil in coolant. (Good!)
3) No coolant visible in oil from dip stick checks. (Good!)
4) Unplugged coolant overflow hose & wet radiator (cracked rad maybe? I'll have to see once I bleed the system).
5) It's a bitch to get the fan clutch out without a fan tool. I need a 3lb sledge. Smashing the end of the 32mm wrench with rubber mallet or pipe wrench is not doing the trick. I've been told you can shove something into the pulley to try to increase the friction of the belts. Doesn't sound healthy for the car though.

Anyone want to chime in?
Old 07-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #24
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Ya its a bitch to remove the fan without the tool. Do able but you have to get creative.

I wouldnt do the mechanical fan mod unless you do it properly
Old 07-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #25
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Quote:
@Flav,Sir,Screamer
- If you remove the main clutch fan but do NOT get a lower t-stat and fan switch for the aux fan (which we assume to be working), how will the car fare?

Things I noticed:
4) Unplugged coolant overflow hose & wet radiator (cracked rad maybe? I'll have to see once I bleed the system).
5) It's a bitch to get the fan clutch out without a fan tool. I need a 3lb sledge. Smashing the end of the 32mm wrench with rubber mallet or pipe wrench is not doing the trick. I've been told you can shove something into the pulley to try to increase the friction of the belts. Doesn't sound healthy for the car though.

Anyone want to chime in?
I don't know, I put in the full kit: 80c thermostat, water wetter (though I've changed coolant since so guess not), fan nut cap, and let's not forget a working auxiliary fan.

P.s. if you decide to keep a fan clutch, I think I still have one you can have for $30.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #26
328IScreamer
6th Gear Member

Car will work fine without the kit......I have done it with no issues what so ever. As mentioned above though it's good to be confident your aux fan is in good working condition
Old 07-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #27
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Electric fan or nothing. **** OEM fans, even if they flow great. I have a 14" puller unshrouded on my mishimoto and have zero issues.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #28
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
@Flav,Sir,Screamer

Things I noticed:

Anyone want to chime in?
The fan removal tool is under $20 at Princess Auto, do yourself a favour and get one!

What people seem to forget about when talking about head gaskets is that mixing coolant and oil is NOT always a must! You can have 0 mixing, but engine pressure escaping to the cooling system. In some cases this works VERY slow, and it may take over a week to build up (at wich point it starts overheating), you open the cap and you are good for another week! I once drove a car like this for almost a year.

Once you have everything together, run the car and open the overflow tank. Look for any bubbles coming out, even very slow ones....
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #29
limenuke
2nd Gear Member

I guess it's time for me to update this thread since there's a lot of activity here! I have a parallel thread on bimmerforums.

I replaced the clutch fan and re-connected the overflow hose. I couldn't get any of the three Princess Auto representatives I contacted to find me a fan tool over the phone so I decided not to make the huge trip to missisauga to chance not finding it. I called NAPA and Partsource but searches came up dry. Ended up going to a local garage who cracked my fan clutch loose for free =).

Anyways, through the repair, I found out three things:
1) The overflow hose sends a LOT of coolant into the reservoir if you overfill the reservoir.
2) I had a lot of air in my system (bled it) using the bleeder cap and letting the car run for about 20 minutes. Lots of extra coolant came out of here (overfilled the expansion tank).
3) My fan shroud has a tendency to come loose. Prior to my fix, I found my clutch fan not moving at all. Thought the clutch fan part was completely obliterated but when I took it off, I noticed that clutch fan was still good and had no play in it. This means that the fan should've been spinning. Weird, I thought.

After putting on the new fan and fan clutch, I drove for a bit only to find that my new fan had stopped as well. I immediately noticed that my fix had undone itself and that the overflow hose was jamming the fan, cracking a new blade (noo!!).

It was unclear how this happened, but I found my shroud unmounted from the rad (Even though the side rivets are still good) and the entire thing had shifted into the way of the fan.

My remedy so far has involved discovering the following:

1) Fixing destroyed overflow hose clips on fan shroud:
The original hose mounts on the fan shroud were destroyed, so I drilled some holes in the shroud for zip ties. These zip ties can hold your overflow hose. This must be done if your fan shroud's clips are cracked.

2) The fan shroud unseated itself (top plastic clip is intact but somehow came off of the rad).
This was really weird. Furthermore, I realized that I had no idea how the bottom of the fan shroud mounts to the rad.

Fixing #2 involved drilling a hole through the fan shroud's plastic clip that holds on to the rad. I took a screw, washer and nut and fastened the shroud to the rad firmly from the top. Reinstalled the plastic rivets on the side.

Took the car for another test drive and I don't appear to be losing coolant or anything. As I parked back home, I did not turn off the car. Popped the hood to see if my fan got jammed again (just to check). It was fine. Got back in the car, reversed and repositioned my car. At this point, I suddenly started hearing a periodic thub-thub-thub-thub noise. It seemed to be coming from the vicinity of the fan. I have a feeling the fan shroud got loose at the bottom and that the fan is brushing agianst something along the bottom of the shroud.... but I've no idea.

Any ideas on how else to ensure my fan shroud does not come loose and what a fan-related thub-thub-thub noise is?

Last edited by limenuke; 07-14-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #30
328IScreamer
6th Gear Member

Massive headaches could have been saved if you just didn't bother with this useless fan lol

not to mention the power gains

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: