Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-10-2012, 02:42 AM   #1
Hal900x
1st Gear Newbie

CSB Preload?

I had been hearing a worsening clatter from directly below my handbrake/center console area while under torque. Sure enough, the CSB bracket was cracked and the crack had run into the actual assembly a bit too.

After replacing it and the Guibo, the same issue except the sound was now higher pitched and different in tone, but similar symptoms. The same cadence, if you will, and mostly when under torque. For whatever reason it has never occurred in reverse gear. We scratched our heads a bit and decided I had bad U-Joints that were either responsible for the sound themselves (at least in part) and/or immediately damaging the new CSB and thus the repeat symptom.

Tonight my buddy said he had the answer, which is that we failed to preload the CSB and it had shredded itself. We simple centered the bolts in the slots and tightened them down, when we should have pushed it forward and then tightened. I would like some input before I order another one and go through the whole mess again. Do you think a failure to preload would cause immediate major damage to the CSB? What kind of damage would you expect? He felt that not preloading would shred the rubber, but the old CSB was cracked mainly in the bracket and a bit into the assembly itself.

Thanks a lot for the feedback.
Hal900x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:29 AM   #2
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

http://bit.ly/SSHYwT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
just letting this furom [*forum] know
MaxBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Hal900x
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal900x
Do you think a failure to preload would cause immediate major damage to the CSB? What kind of damage would you expect?
The purpose of this thread is diagnosis feedback, not installation instruction. Any results of that Google search pertaining to repeated damage/failure of a CSB after installation, I have already viewed and do not find an exact match to my situation. To boil it all the way down, I am trying to make an informed decision whether to try again, buying another new CSB under the assumption that our mistake was the only issue, or if there is more systemic problems requiring a driveshaft shop.
Hal900x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
frankie591
3rd Gear Member

if your u-joints are worn and notchy that could cause your guibo and csb to wear out faster than normal
frankie591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal900x View Post
Do you think a failure to preload would cause immediate major damage to the CSB?
I don't. Purely anecdotal, but I remember reading a thread pertaining to this on R3V (I think in the 24v swap section) where lots of people said they hadn't preloaded theirs and their cars were fine. I'm not saying it doesn't matter if you do or don't, but I can't see it causing, as you said, immediate major damage. I think you've got something else going on.
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

Pre-load 10mm forward IIRC.

It will cause pre-mature failure, not immediate. Unless you just do something stupid like unbolt it.
02 325i Sedan
SamE30e is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: