Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #46
BMWfan
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdalinda View Post
what exactly were your intentions?

you pretty much gave clues to the maxbimmer members on to which mechanic it is. You also repeatedly mentioned his incompetence He asked, “How hard are you braking?” I answered, “I don’t know, normal braking. Hard when I need to, and not too hard when I don’t need to.” And do you know what he said? He said, “It’s normal for all cars to shut down under heavy braking”!!! O_o Can you imagine a major car company designing a car that shuts down under heavy braking? How can such a design idea even pass safety regulations? Oh, I am on the highway and I am trying to avoid an accident by braking and steering way, but you know the engine shuts down—by design!



Which faith allows you to walk across the path of righteousness and blasphemy?.. having intentions which arnt well willed but yet, reassure your self that your intentions are. Re-think the way you think about religion and free your mind...

ask your pastor, Imam, father etc. about this situation and what your doing is not right.
Sorry, but I don't understand your argument. You quotes a paragraph about his wrong opinion (that it's normal for all cars to shut down under hard braking), yet you are using that paragraph as a religion re-thinking? Anyway, I tried my best to hide the mechanic’s identity: I got a different username, I did not specify my car’s model, or his shop’s location, etc. But I can’t stop people from making a correlation between posts. They also definitely have the right to know if they work that hard to find out who it is, because no car owner wants to spend $700 for nothing. You know, $700 is a lot of money—it could mean a set of really good tires that will last at least 3 years!

Do you want to know the funnier part of that conversation? When he said that it's normal for all cars to shut down under hard braking (I guess because he didn't want to bother find the problem, or doesn't know how cars work) I asked him, "Really?" And he said, "Well, sometimes manual cars do." But my car is automatic so I don't understand how his point was relevant to my car's shutting down problem.

Anyway, let's put our personal beliefs aside and think about it logically.

Suppose that you are a judge at a civil court and the case is as follows:

Customer A took his car to Mechanic B because of Problem X and Problem Y. Mechanic B suggested that the solutions to Problem X and Problem Y are X and Y. Customer A, trusting that Mechanic B is a competent professional, went ahead with repairs X and Y. Repairs X and Y did not solve Problem X nor Problem Y. And now Customer A is suing because Repairs X and Y cost him around $700, time wasted at the mechanic, and time spent worrying.

As a fair judge who practices common sense and have knowledge of the law, you will have to rule in favour of Customer A for the financial and emotional he suffered by the misjudgments of Mechanic B.

See, it's not that difficult of an issue to analyze regardless of my faith. For all you know, I could be an atheist, and the law would still be on my side. I don’t know, but you could know that mechanic personally; and I admit he is a very friendly man. But I am asking you to look at this issue objectively as business dealing. This is not an issue of "What's the faith of the customer? And what's the faith of the mechanic?" This is an issue of so many car owners getting screwed over by incompetent mechanics. And I really hope other mechanics on this forum read this posting, so maybe they will try to be more honest and competent in their dealings with customers.

Also, would you still be defending the mechanic if a customer got in a bad accident because while she was trying to make a left turn her car won’t go or shut down completely? All the while she believed it was the fuel she was using because of the wrong advice of the mechanic, and not a vacuum leak as it was discovered by another mechanic?

Would you still be defending the mechanic if you were the one who spent $700 for nothing?

It’s easy to blame the victim, but the fact of the matter is that he is at wrong in this case no matter how you try to rationalize it. And even if I decide to tell who it is then I would still not be doing anything wrong because it is my right to review his work honestly and warn others.

And I really hope that mechanic would read this posting and evaluate his skills. And it's my hope that I hear in a couple of years that he is one of the best independent mechanics in the GTA. But this can only happen if he is willing to look at this bad experience of misdiagnosing my car's problems, evaluate what he is doing wrong, and try to improve his approach to identifying car problems and expanding his knowledge of cars in general and BMWs specifically.

Everyone wants to be his own boss. I am into photography and I have a pro camera, and pro lenses and flash, but when a family member asked me to photograph her wedding I refused. Because even though I’ve been practicing photography as a hobby for 6 years, I know that I am nowhere on the level of pros to be qualified to photograph weddings. Everyone wants to have his own business, but knowledge and experience must come first. He simply lacks this knowledge and experience; it is not something to be ashamed of, but it should also prevent him from calling himself a professional mechanic until he gains this knowledge.
BMWfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #47
BMWfan
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
I said to private message me the contact info of the shop because I want to take my car there....

So you don't want people to go to this shop? Or you do?
Make up your mind.
I read what you said. But I don't think you read what I said, because I said many times that I am not sharing that info (regardless of your motives). Sorry.

It does not matter to me if you take your car there or not. I am not his personal promoter. I never mentioned anything about you to take your car to him or not; I don't know why you are asking me to make up my mind about a topic I never discussed.
BMWfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #48
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair
 
Bullet Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Guelph
Posts: 5,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfan View Post
I hate to be the reason a business suffers financially, after all their business is the source of their income.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfan View Post
The more units in the sample there are, the more accurate the results will be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfan View Post
It does not matter to me if you take your car there or not.
How am I supposed to give this shop my business if I don't know where it is? You won't tell me where it is, so now you're causing the shop to loose a potential customer, a potential source of income. How is the community supposed to get an accurate idea about the capability and quality of the work that this shop can do unless we can get some more data points. If it really doesn't matter to you then PM me the info or at least PM me the names of the fellow members who recommended the shop to you so that I can talk to them. I'm asking you to contact me privately, I'm not asking you to post anything publicly, I don't think it's fair for you to make assumptions about what my motives are.
__________________

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 06-20-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Bullet Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:11 AM   #49
BMWfan
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
How am I supposed to give this shop my business if I don't know where it is? You won't tell me where it is, so now you're causing the shop to loose a potential customer, a potential source of income. How is the community supposed to get an accurate idea about the capability and quality of the work that this shop can do unless we can get some more data points. If it really doesn't matter to you then PM me the info or at least PM me the names of the fellow members who recommended the shop to you so that I can talk to them. I'm asking you to contact me privately, I'm not asking you to post anything publicly, I don't think it's fair for you to make assumptions about what my motives are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
How am I supposed to give this shop my business if I don't know where it is? You won't tell me where it is, so now you're causing the shop to loose a potential customer, a potential source of income. How is the community supposed to get an accurate idea about the capability and quality of the work that this shop can do unless we can get some more data points. If it really doesn't matter to you then PM me the info or at least PM me the names of the fellow members who recommended the shop to you so that I can talk to them. I'm asking you to contact me privately, I'm not asking you to post anything publicly, I don't think it's fair for you to make assumptions about what my motives are.
I understand, but again sorry. I made up my mind before I wrote this post that I would not share that info publicly or privately. If you don't know which shop it is then you don't need to know the quality of work this shop can do; stick to your mechanic or forum sponsored mechanics. Treat this shop as a fictional shop. And believe me, reviewing a shop by taking your car to it is a costly way of doing a review (unless you have money to waste). If you do, then I suggest you give your money to a mechanic deserving of it. But I am sure my experience is common among many BMW owners (as is evident from the private messages I am getting), but most are afraid to offend the mechanics.

I am glad I wrote my post though. Many professionals such as doctors, engineers, teachers, construction companies, etc, are held responsible for the quality of their work and the honesty of their business by higher authority. Mechanical engineers for example are accountable to more senior engineers, to manufacturing engineers, to cost analysis engineers, to quality engineers, to the engineering manager, to the customers, to the PEO, to building codes, to safety regulations, etc.

But mechanics it seems are accountable to no one but themselves (and a higher being if they believe in any). They have few years of experience, they get a certificate from somewhere--(and believe me, I know how worthless those certificates are. I studied engineering for 4 years at UofT to get my diploma, and I learned more in the first month of my job than all those years of university!)--then they open a business, get a website, then they write an elaborate and fictional description of themselves in the "About Us" page.

Most mechanics could do whatever they like, they charge whatever they like, they don't even show you the price of the parts you are paying for from the supplier, they don't show you the old worn out parts, they treat you anyway they like, they could fix something and break something else, they don't allow you in the shop, they sometimes misdiagnose the problem, they sometimes give you the wrong advice, they jerk you around, waste your time and money, you pay them before you even test drive the car, and they don't have to give an account of the quality of their work or honesty to anybody!

Well, I am glad for the Internet and this forum because mechanics have to give an account of their work to their customers. When you go to the orthodontist, he shows you examples of his previous work. When you go to a wedding photographer, he shows you examples of his previous work. When you go to a hair stylist, he has photographs of his previous work. So next time you go to a mechanic, such as when you have a shimmy at a certain speed, ask the mechanic if he has come across a similar problem before and if he was able to fix it! The mechanic shouldn't practice on your cars and expense!

------------------
BMWfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #50
BMWfan
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 30
If you want more samples of that mechanics work, here is a thorough description:

1) Radiator was leaking. He tried to fix it with some silicon; the radiator started leaking more so I had to replace it.

2) He fixed some leaks. (I don’t know if it is good or not. But I would say it is good even though there are still some wet spots on the parking lot.)

3) He changed the AC belt and timing chain. This was good.

4) He changed one of my headlight bulbs that was burnt out for free. That was good and very nice of him.

5) He changed the rotors because he said they have a lip and they were too thin to be grinded. He said the lips on the rotors were the cause of the uneven feelings when braking. The new rotors pulsate when braking at high speed. I think they need grinding. God knows how much this will cost me! Grinding? New rotors? Who knows! These are supposed to be new rotors!

6) He changed the winter tires to new all season tires, and the car started driving so much better and smoother. But there is a low speed wobble and everyone says that low speed wobbles are caused by uneven tires—I don’t know, may be road force balance is the next step. God knows how much this will cost me! Road force balance? New tires? New wheels? Who knows! And if it is the wheel(s) that is bent, then why didn’t he detect it, or tell me?! If it is the tire(s) that have a flat spot, then why didn’t he detect it, or tell me? These are supposed to be new tires!

7) He aligned the wheels. This was good.

8) He balanced the wheels more than once with the same results: low speed wobble and shimmy at 120km/h. Often, he balanced them for free. This was very nice of him.

9) He changed the tires and rotors, sanded the brakes, and did the alignment and balance in one day. When I went to pick up the car, the whole car was shaking violently even at idle. This lasted for a day then stopped. He never explained what was the cause, and I still don’t know what caused it and if it has any long term effects on the car’s performance and safety. I haven’t been able to get an explanation from online search, forums, or mechanics of what could’ve caused that violent shaking after simply replacing the rotors/tires, and doing balance/alignment!

10) I asked him many times to look into the thrust arms and he did test the wheels with his hands and said they are fine. The reason I asked about the thrust arms is that the front wheels tremble when braking and hitting an uneven surface such as entering a parking lot. Finally, I took the car to Rocco and he said the thrust arms needed changing, and he test drove it with me and showed me how when braking at high speed the front end trembles. Rocco changed the thrust arms and the trembling in the front wheels went away.

(The shimmy at 120km/h, wobble at low speed, and pulsating in the brake at high speed braking are still present.)

11) He said the driver-side drive shaft needs changing as it is the cause of the shimmy at high speed, so I changed it (cost me $500). It solved nothing. Then he found out the new drive shaft he installed was faulty so he ordered another one under warranty and replaced it for free. He said the passenger side drive shaft was faulty and needed replacing as he now thought it was the cause of the shimmy at high speed. I declined to change it.

12) The engine light came on so I took the car to him. He scanned it and said it is the secondary air pump and reset it saying it is nothing important. It came again and I took it to him and he did the same thing. A couple of weeks later I took the car to him as it needed one more leak to be fixed. After he was done the car started shutting down. He scanned it and about 4-5 errors showed up, including: air sensor, throttle response, secondary air pump, etc. He said the cause was the fuel I was using, as I was using regular gas. He suggested I put Octane booster in the tank, and put premium fuel from Shell. I did that.

That did not solve the problem. So he said to run the gas tank out. I did. That did not solve the problem. He said I need to run at least 2 more gas tanks of premium fuel and Octane boosters to clean the engine from the carbon build up (or something like that). A week later and the problem was still there. I took the car to him. After 2-3 hours of inspection he found some small loose hose and said it is the cause of the vacuum leak! He put it in place and said the problem was fixed. It was not. I knew that small loose hose wouldn’t fix the problem as it was loose since I had purchased the car and I told him so. That whole ordeal cost me about $200, and a whole lot of time and worrying.

Since the problem was not fixed he said it is normal for all cars (at least manual ones) to shut down under heavy braking. I don’t understand his point as my car is automatic, and it never shut down before that day when I went to pick it up from him after he fixed the “last” leak.

I gave up on him so I went to Rocco. Within 5 minutes: he scanned it, got only one code back that said there is a vacuum leak, he spotted the leak, and fixed it. And the car never felt so powerful before!

Oh, that mechanic also said it is normal for all BMWs to have rough starting engines, because my car’s engine would sputter, losing and gaining power randomly, and shake. It simply is not true because my engine is as smooth as I’ve seen at start up, now that the vacuum leak is fixed. He simply didn’t want, or didn’t know how, to fix the engine shutting down problem so he started making up stuff.

13) After the last leak he fixed (the one mentioned in the last point), he said the front wheels need alignment again, because the whole front suspension system has to come down so he could replace that leaking gasket. I don’t understand why he didn’t tell me from the beginning that the alignment should be the last thing to do (to be done after fixing the leaks)! I am not a mechanic—I don’t know these things—I don’t know the whole front suspension system has to come down when fixing a gasket leak! What’s the point of doing an alignment, then doing another one a month later? To be fair, if I remember correctly, he did not charge me for the second alignment. That was very nice of him.

14) There was noise coming from the right rear wheel. I took the car to him and he sanded the brakes and that it should be okay now. It was not. He said to give it a week and then come back to him. After 2 days I couldn’t stand the noise anymore, so I took the car to him again. He sanded the brake pads again. That did not work, so I asked him to look into the handbrake discs. I was correct. So he cleaned the handbrake discs, oiled the wheel from the inside, and the noise went away. When putting back the handbrake discs he forgot one of the springs so I reminded him.

15) The power pump (or something like that) was leaking, and he said it’s only the hose and he will replace the clamp and the leak should stop. It did not. It still leaks. To be fair, I don’t think he charged me for attempting to stop the leak with the clamp. That was a very nice attempt from him.

------------------
BMWfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #51
BMWfan
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 30
Do you still want to go to him! As you can tell from my writing that he is not a horrible person, nor is he completely incompetent. But he is incompetent enough to be considered a bad mechanic in my book. If a contractor builds your house perfectly but ruins only one of the washrooms, do you still consider him good? Will you let it go? Will you just pay another contractor an extra $10,000 from your pocket to fix the washroom the first contractor ruined? Of course not! So why do we just let mechanics get away with shabby workmanship?!

By the way, that’s one good looking BMW you got there!
BMWfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #52
E30S54
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 27
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150886

Sounds similar.....
E30S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #53
BMWfan
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 30
Here are two more things that happened that made me question the mechanic:

16) When I went to pick up my car and the old tires, after the new tires/rotors were installed, I was told that one of the tires had an 8” gash in it. I asked what caused it, and he said may be the previous owner drove on a flat tire. But that doesn’t explain how I was able to drive fine for a month on a tire that had an 8” gash in it!

I am not accusing him of anything, but almost every time I took my car to him something went bad—just too many coincident. It doesn’t matter to me if the coincident were intentionally or unintentionally—all that matters to me is that my car and I weren’t getting the best service.

-Radiator leaked profoundly—to the point where I had to replace it—after he tried to fix it with silicon.
-Car shook violently after he changed the tires/rotors.
-Broken replaced tire after he changed the tires.
-Car shut down after he fixed a leak.
-Pulsating rotors after he put new rotors in.
-Unnecessary drive shaft replacement.
-Unnecessary burning of Octane boosters and premium fuel.

17) After installing the driver-side drive shaft and he found out it still did not solve the shimmy problem, so we went for a test drive. I asked him what are some of the things that could cause a shimmy like this, and he thought about it for few seconds then said, “You know what I am thinking. I am thinking your car’s chassis needs pulling”! I told him that the car proof’s history shows it has not been in an accident, and he said that history only shows reported accidents. But if you have a BMW that got in an accident so bad it caused the chassis to bend, wouldn’t you claim it?! :|

I don’t know why pulling the chassis sounded like the best diagnoses when he could’ve first questioned the thrust arms, wheels, or even suggested a simple road force balance!
BMWfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #54
Jim .E.
E90 n00b
 
Jim .E.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brampton
Posts: 6,656
Successful troll is successful.
__________________
Jim .E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #55
SiR
Vtec just kicked in
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: TO
Posts: 2,741
__________________
-||Old Crayons||-
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:37 AM   #56
jaym3smg
M. Learn it.
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brampton, ON
Posts: 172


Cliffs: Mechanic sucks but I won't tell you who. /thread.

So useless thread is useless.

-J
__________________
2014 M5 - Daily monster
2003.0 M3 - Track / weekend toy

jaym3smg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #57
Jim .E.
E90 n00b
 
Jim .E.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brampton
Posts: 6,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaym3smg View Post

Cliffs: AMW sucks but I won't tell you who cause you guys already know. /thread.

So useless thread is useless.

-J
Fixed.
__________________
Jim .E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #58
jaym3smg
M. Learn it.
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brampton, ON
Posts: 172
^ Thanks

-J
__________________
2014 M5 - Daily monster
2003.0 M3 - Track / weekend toy

jaym3smg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #59
BMWfan
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 30
Just some updates.

I went to Active Green + Ross shop the other day because I was looking for a road force balance, and I met the senior mechanic there. I asked him, “How good are the Yokohama Avid TRZ tires?” And he said, “They are not.” So I asked him, “What do you mean?” And he said, “You’d have to force me to put them on your car.” Then he asked, “What car do you have?” I told him and he said, “And you put those tires on a BMW?!!!”

Then he looked up the tires in the system and looked up my car in the system, and found out the Yokohama Avid TRZ tires are a lower speed rated tires than what is recommended for my car. So it looks like the mechanic I talked about in this thread is so novice he doesn’t even know what tires are good for what BMW—so much for a BMW certified mechanic!

Then the AG+R mechanic hoisted my car up and after some inspection told me that my car should have a trembling in the steering wheel at high speed because the tie rod (I could be getting the exact name of the part wrong) of the driver side is very worn out; he is correct because the steering wheel does tremble at 120km/h and above.

I asked if alignment is needed after changing thrust arms and he said, “No, because the thrust arms are static objects” (Rocco said the same thing.) And he told me that my car should pull to the left (even if alignment is done) because of the worn out tie rod; and my car does pull to the left!

Then as we were talking I told him about how my car used to shut down when braking, and before I finished he said, “You had a vacuum leak, and it shut down when braking because the brake booster sucked the air away from the engine.” He is right! (Rocco had found that vacuum leak and fixed, while the mechanic I talked about in this thread had no idea what’s going on for a whole week!)

When I told the AG+R mechanic about the pulsating in the wheels when braking, he said the rotors are warped (Rocco told me the same thing) and it is because the front struts are old and when the car brakes it pretty much dives into the rotors causing them to warp. (Rocco also told me that the front struts are worn out.) He also told me that there was no point of putting new rotors on worn out struts because they were going to get warped like my rotors did (my rotors are only 2 months old). I didn’t know that and of course the mechanic I talked about in this thread didn’t know that either! (I wonder how much he really knows about cars?!)

After telling the AG+R mechanic about the shake problem at 120km/h, he said, “You know, you could sue that mechanic for putting the wrong tires on your car!” (Rocco also said that my tires are not the best and he suspected them to be the reason behind the shimmy at 120km/h.) You know, I lost so much money because of his wrong diagnosis, wrong recommendation, and lack of knowledge, and I wasted so much time at his shop and time worrying. I worked hard for my money; for the last year I’ve had 2 jobs to buy my car and maintain it, and I gave most of it up to a mechanic that offered me very little in return.

So it looks like that mechanic not only cost me $500 for a drive shaft I didn’t need, and $200 in burning Octane booster and fuel that I did not need, but also cost me over $1,200 in installing the wrong tires, and new rotors on worn out struts! (He never once mentioned anything about the struts!) I trusted him, but he betrayed that trust by not having the knowledge required to be a competent mechanic. Save your money and avoid mechanics like him. Don’t just go to any mechanic recommended on this forum—after all, this mechanic was recommended on this forum! Test mechanics yourself and I dare say: never go ahead with an expensive repair before seeking a second opinion; a mechanic confident of his skills and reputation wouldn’t feel threatened just because you sought a second opinion.

So far, I can only recommend one mechanic: Rocco of RMP Motors.

I can also say that Andrew, the senior mechanic at AG+R of Weston Rd/HWY 7, seems to know what he is talking about, but I haven’t had anything fixed by him so I can only recommend him based on his knowledge of things. (He has an E34 so he knows a lot about BMWs.)

Last edited by BMWfan; 06-27-2012 at 12:23 AM.
BMWfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:26 AM   #60
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member
 
Deep 3.2TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Milton
Posts: 3,228
Nobody cares... you can shut up now...
__________________

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2014