Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #16
ItsPat
n00b
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: GTA
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadChigga View Post
Stand your ground, took me almost 3 months to get the same money as the value of my Lexus.
Really eh, 3 months...wow. They're covering me a rental car up to the 14th of June but I can try and fight for more. If I had another car to use it wouldn't be as much of an issue but without that rental I'm screwed...
ItsPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #17
blakneto
3rd Gear Member
 
blakneto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hamilton/Brampton/Toronto
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsPat View Post
I've given the adjusters 18 ads from Auto-trader, a mixture of bmw dealer, independents and private ads. Prices ranged from $16k-23k They won't accept the private ones so that's fine, there weren't many anyway. Most of these cars were way lower km's than mine, which is fine. None of them had sport package with manual transmission as there weren't any listed at the moment.

I didn't list any modifications because I barely had time to do anything to the car. I listed the maintenance I did - new battery, spark plugs, brakes, tires, tints, etc.

Again, I'm not looking to stiff the insurance company here - I wouldn't expect them to go over $20k, not sure why you made that assumption. Just trying to minimize my losses over 1 year of ownership and having been hit clearly from behind while my car was sitting at a stop light.
I said that, only if you were looking to get over $20K.
I see that you are not.
Go get them!
blakneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #18
TheMadChigga
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit.
 
TheMadChigga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Durty Shwa
Posts: 3,092
Send a message via ICQ to TheMadChigga Send a message via AIM to TheMadChigga Send a message via MSN to TheMadChigga
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsPat View Post
Really eh, 3 months...wow. They're covering me a rental car up to the 14th of June but I can try and fight for more. If I had another car to use it wouldn't be as much of an issue but without that rental I'm screwed...
It all depends on how you communicate with whoever is responsible for it, when my Lexus got totaled it was almost 7 years ago, the first lady wasn't very nice, she's kinda like take it or leave it and was even doubting the mileage on the car, since it got hit so hard the cluster was fubar'd, then I got another lady contacted me and I talked to her as nice as possible, I told her straight up that I just wanted to move on and get what's fair, I rather not get involve with lawyer and such, I had a friend of mine that was working for Lexus at the time show the auction value and a letter, it took a while but at the end I got what I wanted and I was happy.
__________________
I'll buy your unwanted wheels, PM me!
Volvo project
E39 project
TheMadChigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #19
ItsPat
n00b
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: GTA
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadChigga View Post
It all depends on how you communicate with whoever is responsible for it, when my Lexus got totaled it was almost 7 years ago, the first lady wasn't very nice, she's kinda like take it or leave it and was even doubting the mileage on the car, since it got hit so hard the cluster was fubar'd, then I got another lady contacted me and I talked to her as nice as possible, I told her straight up that I just wanted to move on and get what's fair, I rather not get involve with lawyer and such, I had a friend of mine that was working for Lexus at the time show the auction value and a letter, it took a while but at the end I got what I wanted and I was happy.
Good to know, and truthfully the adjuster and I had a decent rapport but at the same time she was rather firm - immediately after I emailed her the comps she calls me and says flat out "I can't justify an increase blah blah blah" like, she barely had time to read all the ads. At that point I said "Let's just elevate it and take it to the next step before I have to hire an appraiser and gamble with my own money" which is when I got her supervisor, who was more/less a stone cold biatch. It's being left with her till Monday, hopefully by then I'll have chatted with hockeyfan and I'll have some ammunition. Thx again to all who have chimed in, gotta say this is one of the better communities I've seen lately whether it's sports related, cars, politics etc. there seems to be a bunch of helpful honest people around here.
ItsPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #20
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy
 
bmwm5lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thornhill
Posts: 15,221
So a slight update on our end, went to the body shop yesterday, very nice to deal with staff there, I was advised the car would most likely be a total loss. 900$ for a used rear bumper cover plus paint (HAHAHA) and a whole bunch of other crap, not even considering the mechanicals that seem to be fubard brings the estimate to about 5K and change.

My fiance is Currently waiting to hear from the adjuster and I am going to be doing some comparative searching to get an accurate reflection of what it would realistically cost to get an exact replacement.

I can't wait for this fun to begin *sarcasm*
__________________
www.enthusiastauto.caNeed a car???

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. '01 Exterior Upgrades; E60 SSK
Toys'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:30 AM   #21
Supreme_sole
Top Gear Canuck
 
Supreme_sole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 105
of topic

but TheMadChigga, your car has an amazing stance right now
Supreme_sole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #22
blue dragon
duh!
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: gta
Posts: 130
There's only one way to settle with an insurance company. You have to lawyer up. Its that simple.
__________________
blue dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #23
ItsPat
n00b
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: GTA
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
There's only one way to settle with an insurance company. You have to lawyer up. Its that simple.
From what I've heard in my situation I should just try and squeeze a few more dollars and cut my losses. If we were talking about an M5 and they were really trying to screw me - I'd agree, lawyer up and go to battle. In my case, they're basically offering me fair value with some depreciation so it's a little more difficult to argue. Believe me, if I was staring at a several thousand dollar loss, I would be taking a much more aggressive stance on this. I'm going to try telling them that, "Look, your job is to put me back to where I was before the accident. Let's try and get closer on the value, split the difference, and put this to bed." I'll update with the results, thanks to everyone who helped and I wish all the best to the others who have posted in this thread with similar situations. It's never fun that's for sure.
ItsPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #24
5ABIVT
Cheap reliable fast.Pick2
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 189
Pics of the damage? More than likely someone in the body shoppe is horny about fixing your car and keeping it for themselves do they will fudge the damage estimate.

Im afraid to say what I would do in this situation .. Hell with lotto max lol
5ABIVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #25
ItsPat
n00b
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: GTA
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABIVT View Post
Pics of the damage? More than likely someone in the body shoppe is horny about fixing your car and keeping it for themselves do they will fudge the damage estimate.

Im afraid to say what I would do in this situation .. Hell with lotto max lol
Will post pics tonight, and the guy at the tire shop said the same thing. 'Maybe I pick that car up for a few grand, fix it and drive it myself. That's cuz I know people and can wait around for a used headlight, a used bumper etc. and I can store the car. Whether or not you have those same resources I don't know.' Which was totally fair. The damage really doesn't look like much in the pics.

I had another argument session with the adjusters today, no increase on their offer. I squeezed another few days of the rental car out of them. They refuse to adjust the offer until they see something from a certified appraiser THEN they will consider it, only if there is a significant discrepancy. So far I've talked to two appraisers and their fees were in/around $300-375 plus tax. Seems like a lot to pay in the hopes of getting a couple hundred more from insurance - seems more and more like I should just cut my losses.
ItsPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #26
5ABIVT
Cheap reliable fast.Pick2
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 189
If they are giving you a reasonable amount I would think about it. Bottom line is this wasn't your fault. There isn't a need to squeeze more days out of them for insurance they are obligated to cover you until this can be settled. Of course to an extent as long as things are moving forward with the claim you will be fine.

Tell them you will take a suitable replacement that YOU approve of. They can do the looking and you can shoot em down if you don't like them.

Because it wasn't your fault the insurance IS going to get money from the other company. As much as everyone wants to think things have changed they haven't. This no fault crap is just smoke over the operation. I am positive they will be getting a lot more for the damage than what they are paying you. Accidents are like Christmas bonuses for them.
5ABIVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #27
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy
 
bmwm5lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thornhill
Posts: 15,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsPat View Post
Will post pics tonight, and the guy at the tire shop said the same thing. 'Maybe I pick that car up for a few grand, fix it and drive it myself. That's cuz I know people and can wait around for a used headlight, a used bumper etc. and I can store the car. Whether or not you have those same resources I don't know.' Which was totally fair. The damage really doesn't look like much in the pics.

I had another argument session with the adjusters today, no increase on their offer. I squeezed another few days of the rental car out of them. They refuse to adjust the offer until they see something from a certified appraiser THEN they will consider it, only if there is a significant discrepancy. So far I've talked to two appraisers and their fees were in/around $300-375 plus tax. Seems like a lot to pay in the hopes of getting a couple hundred more from insurance - seems more and more like I should just cut my losses.
Hey dude, not sure if this will help but when I was at the Dixie (south of Eglinton) Service Ontario office to transfer a car, they had business cards for a mobile appraiser. I believe it cost 100$ for them to come to your location to do an appraisal.
Might be worth a try? Mobileappraisals.com or something like that.
__________________
www.enthusiastauto.caNeed a car???

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. '01 Exterior Upgrades; E60 SSK
Toys'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #28
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member
 
NOTORIOUS VR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
Hey dude, not sure if this will help but when I was at the Dixie (south of Eglinton) Service Ontario office to transfer a car, they had business cards for a mobile appraiser. I believe it cost 100$ for them to come to your location to do an appraisal.
Might be worth a try? Mobileappraisals.com or something like that.
That's not the same service... since the appraiser would have to put together a report (which is why he was getting quotes of $300-400+).

That service is because old cars that don't have a value can't be transferred unless you have the car appraised. And if you're looking for something like there are cheaper options as well.
NOTORIOUS VR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #29
ItsPat
n00b
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: GTA
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABIVT View Post
If they are giving you a reasonable amount I would think about it. Bottom line is this wasn't your fault. There isn't a need to squeeze more days out of them for insurance they are obligated to cover you until this can be settled. Of course to an extent as long as things are moving forward with the claim you will be fine.

Tell them you will take a suitable replacement that YOU approve of. They can do the looking and you can shoot em down if you don't like them.

Because it wasn't your fault the insurance IS going to get money from the other company. As much as everyone wants to think things have changed they haven't. This no fault crap is just smoke over the operation. I am positive they will be getting a lot more for the damage than what they are paying you. Accidents are like Christmas bonuses for them.
The adjusters constantly quote the 'Ontario Insurance Act' or 'Policy' or some such crap - that they are only obligated to cover a rental up until a settlement OFFER has been made. As a 'customer service gesture' they extended my rental a few days, and yesterday I called them out because I spoke to the rental car company so I know how much they're paying for the car per day, and I ended up getting a few more days out of them. They maintain that they only need to cover me until an offer is made, and that's the province's own policy, not a policy of their own.

If what you're saying is true then they have flat out lied to me. They said that my insurance company will be covering the damages/settlement, not the at-fault driver. Again, this makes no sense to me at all but this is what they're telling me.

No matter how many times I try to level with them and say, "I'm driving properly in traffic, minding my own business, and because some woman can't control her minivan this is now my financial loss and my problem?" They basically say "Yes."

This may also be due to my policy - they cover 'actual cash value' NOT 'replacement value' of the car. From what I understand, 'replacement value' policies are more rare/expensive - hockeyfan could advise on this. But my broker basically explained to me that, despite the Sport Package options on my car, they're not really going to care if the car can be replaced or not. All they're gonna look at is what a similar car is going for on the open market right now and make me an offer based on that.

This whole experience has been a real eye-opener - I knew we were getting screwed on insurance premiums in Ontario but my naivety allowed me to assume that in a no-fault situation your company would have at least somewhat of your best interests in mind. Nope, it's a business, they need to escape with as little financial exposure as possible and they truly do not care if you've maintained your vehicle, took plenty of time to source it in the first place, and have somewhat rare options that cannot be easily replaced on the current market.
ItsPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #30
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member
 
NOTORIOUS VR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsPat View Post
The adjusters constantly quote the 'Ontario Insurance Act' or 'Policy' or some such crap
Funny you mention this... because in my particular situation (after hiring my own appraiser and all) they bluntly did NOT follow the Ontario Insurance Act.

They're a bunch of dirtbags and will try anything in order to keep every single red penny in their hands, and they'll even break the law to do it. That's how bad they are.

This is why paying the amount that we do in Ontario cannot be justified, since they want a ton of money but when the time comes to pay up they try and wiggle their way out any way possible. Some, actually most people don't put up a fight so they win most of the time, but not everyone needs to settle right away and then you run into the f*ckheads that dick you around.


Quote:
This whole experience has been a real eye-opener - I knew we were getting screwed on insurance premiums in Ontario but my naivety allowed me to assume that in a no-fault situation your company would have at least somewhat of your best interests in mind. Nope, it's a business, they need to escape with as little financial exposure as possible and they truly do not care if you've maintained your vehicle, took plenty of time to source it in the first place, and have somewhat rare options that cannot be easily replaced on the current market.
Absolutely 100% correct... They don't care about maintenance, receipts or anything of the sort. I had everything documented in my case and they just basically tossed them in the garbage and said "we don't care about any of that"

And then they have the balls to lie to my face multiple times about their policies.
NOTORIOUS VR is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.