Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-24-2012, 12:50 AM   #16
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
I'll look at my paperwork from when i imported my last car. I'm almost positive i paid 100 (or 110$) RIV fee, 100$ AC tax, 6.1% duty and 5% gst. You seem to know your stuff though, so i'm not gonna argue with you
Is that for your M Roadster? You shouldn't have paid the duty since it was manufactured in the USA. Since you VIN starts with the WBS and not with the 4US like some early M Roadster you should get a letter from BMW saying that the car was manufactured in the USA and then make a claim with the border.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #17
buzzard
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drapes View Post
You do NOT have to pay duty when importing a car older than 25 years old.

The correct tariff classification is 9966.00.00.

The interpretation is here:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...0-doc-eng.html

The full document is here:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-com.../menu-eng.html

I recently imported a car more than 25 years old and was charged duty at the border and I did not question it at the time. I was alerted to the misclassification by a neighbour who also recently imported a car older than 25 years old and did not pay duty. I since found advice on this board:
http://pantera.infopop.cc/eve/forums...2/m/5350013755

which lead me to the links above.

I have applied for the refund but have not received it yet.

Note also that PARTS imported for use on a car older than 25 years are exempt from duty too.

Mark
Great info Mark ...appreciate the help and documentation...and I think your post clears up a lot of misunderstanding.
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #18
buzzard
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drapes View Post
You do NOT have to pay duty when importing a car older than 25 years old.

The correct tariff classification is 9966.00.00.

The interpretation is here:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...0-doc-eng.html

The full document is here:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-com.../menu-eng.html

I recently imported a car more than 25 years old and was charged duty at the border and I did not question it at the time. I was alerted to the misclassification by a neighbour who also recently imported a car older than 25 years old and did not pay duty. I since found advice on this board:
http://pantera.infopop.cc/eve/forums...2/m/5350013755

which lead me to the links above.

I have applied for the refund but have not received it yet.

Note also that PARTS imported for use on a car older than 25 years are exempt from duty too.

Mark
Mark

Noticed the lines in the document:

The vehicle must conform to its original appearance and configuration which existed at the time of manufacture.

2. Street rods and updated vehicles are highly modified units and are no longer in their original configuration. These units would not qualify for consideration under tariff item No. 9966.00.00. Modifications such as improved brake systems and other changes required to have the vehicles conform to new safety standards would not necessarily exclude them from tariff item No. 9966.00.00.

The vehicle I am lookiing at has certainly not been modified significantly but it is a bare metal rebuild with some fender flares , upgraded suspension ...but fundementally a base car , with a base engine with a couple upgrades to make it track worthy. The 2 statements above seem to contradict a little , one says "must conform to original appearence " , the other "highly modified ". Seems to give the customs folks some leeway at the border to charge or not charge based on who determines what "highly modified" means. Have you had any experience with this at the border.
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #19
drapes
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
I'll look at my paperwork from when i imported my last car. I'm almost positive i paid 100 (or 110$) RIV fee, 100$ AC tax, 6.1% duty and 5% gst. You seem to know your stuff though, so i'm not gonna argue with you
What you *should* have been charged and what you were charged are two different things!

I found that riv.ca was ambiguous as to whether the fee applied to exempt cars so I treated it as a pleasant surprise when I was not charged. Looking at the actual Form 1, it's clear to me that one should not be for an exempt vehicle, and that the fee is for the "program" not the form. I have no idea how to go about getting a refund. For 195$, it might not be worth the hassle.

As for the Duty, if you were charged and should not have been the hassle is definitely worth it, IMO. There is a documented procedure for getting your refund. As I said, I have sent my form in but have not heard back. I have no idea about time limits, etc., and what supporting documentation you may need. I didn't call first, but I probably should have.

The form is here:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...laires/b2g.pdf

Good luck!
drapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #20
drapes
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Mark

Noticed the lines in the document:

The vehicle must conform to its original appearance and configuration which existed at the time of manufacture.

2. Street rods and updated vehicles are highly modified units and are no longer in their original configuration. These units would not qualify for consideration under tariff item No. 9966.00.00. Modifications such as improved brake systems and other changes required to have the vehicles conform to new safety standards would not necessarily exclude them from tariff item No. 9966.00.00.

The vehicle I am lookiing at has certainly not been modified significantly but it is a bare metal rebuild with some fender flares , upgraded suspension ...but fundementally a base car , with a base engine with a couple upgrades to make it track worthy. The 2 statements above seem to contradict a little , one says "must conform to original appearence " , the other "highly modified ". Seems to give the customs folks some leeway at the border to charge or not charge based on who determines what "highly modified" means. Have you had any experience with this at the border.
I don't have extensive experience, I've just imported one basically stock car. There was an inspection but it was cursory at best, basically to check that the VIN on the car matched the VIN on the title and that's about it. I wouldn't dare speculate on what you might or might not be able to slip through the border, but as long as the car is titled and registered as road-worthy now in some US State, I think the worst case scenario is that you will be assessed the 6.1% duty. Be careful!
drapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #21
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga View Post
Is that for your M Roadster? You shouldn't have paid the duty since it was manufactured in the USA. Since you VIN starts with the WBS and not with the 4US like some early M Roadster you should get a letter from BMW saying that the car was manufactured in the USA and then make a claim with the border.
No man, i bought the ///M here in Okotoks (my wife loved it, so we moved here). It was already imported. I was talking about the 325iX

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's supersports, ZHP knob, UUC short shift GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
http://absolutehid.ca hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: