Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
dcramer
5th Gear Member

low brake pedal

curious how many people have a low brake pedal. There is a thread on bimmerforums that suggests the problem is that the e36 is over boosted. I'm curious if everyone has this problem ?
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
naui16865
1st Gear Newbie

I have two E36 M3 coupes with the dreaded long brake pedal travel: my daily driver ('98) and my track toy ('99). They have 275K Km and 174K Km on them respectively. A very good friend of mine has a '97 E36 4dr M3 with the same symptoms.

All three cars have stock brake set-ups. We've used with a wide variety of pad compounds on the street and track: Jurid (OEM), Stop Tech (Street Performance), Hawk track pads (various compounds), Carbotech XP-10s & XP-12s, Ferrodo 2500's. Brake fluid gets flushed frequently on all cars using ATE Super Blue Racing or Prospeed 683 (I like this stuff but it's $$). New rotors tried include: ATE, BMW Motorsport floating, PFC Direct Drive & Brembo. Stainless steel lines are installed on all three cars. Small changes / improvements have been observed as components were changed but NONE of the changes have sorted the problem.

My buddy also had a '91 E36 325i occasional track car that did NOT have this prob at all.

I don't subscribe to the over-boost explanation: the math doesn't make sense to me. A lot has been written on various forums describing the prob with a wide range of attempted fixes but little satisfaction achieved at least wrt dual-use cars.

I've replaced the OEM rubber brake pedal cover with an OMP aluminum pedal + a 1 cm shim to bring the pedal on my track toy to the right spot for comfortable heel & toe. It's not ideal but it's better than nothing.
naui16865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
dcramer
5th Gear Member

I am also questioning the over boost explanation. My guess is wear inside the booster. It just doesn't make sense. The pedal should be hard regardless of how much boost there is
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #4
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

come to think about it, my 92 325is didnt have that issue.... but it also had the m3 brakes... and once i swapped the m3 brakes into my 96 i felt a noticeable difference.
e36 328is - (m52)AA S/c'd, M50 Mani, 3.23 LSD, M3 Brakes, Zimmer rotors, hps pads, Racing Dynamic Strut Bar, Depos, m3 Bumper, Intake, Spal fan, poly RTABs, Eibach Swaybars, Koni yellow, Mishimoto Rad, Silicone hose, Alumi T-housing, Depo w/LED Angels, LED tails, 12' Alpine Type R, Suede head liner, LTW Low rise spoiler
PREVIOUS CARS
92' 325is (m52) - M3 conversion AA S/c'd
'97 Euro Estroil E36 M3 Vert (S50B32)
iverson03tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
dcramer
5th Gear Member

ok, after bleeding my brakes as per the bentley manual. Pump the pedal with a pressure bleeder, my pedal is where it is supposed to be.

I guess they really weren't wasting ink. You really do need to do both, use a pressure bleeder and pump the brakes.

Huge waste of time and effort on my part not to mention now really don't need the rallyroad porsche brake kit I ordered

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: