Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
IvanE36
1st Gear Newbie

Windshield defroster

Hello! I have a problem with my 99 E36. Front windshield defroster would barely blow no matter which speed I had it on. I can hear the blower motor speed increasing as I increase the setting but still almost no air comes out of vents. Did anyone else had that problem?
IvanE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

When was the last time your changed your cabin filter? Maybe it's clogged.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
IvanE36
1st Gear Newbie

i changed cabin filter right after i bought the car, which was in may so it should be good i think
Old 01-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
IvanE36
1st Gear Newbie

i guess i'm the only one with such a unique problem lol
Old 01-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
Discostar
2nd Gear Member

There are little flaps around the heater box that direct the air from the blower to the different vents you select. I have a similar problem but mine is a 92 325is with manual knobs not the newer climate control unit.

Those flaps can get stuck. Perhaps they are just unable to fully redirect the air to the Defrost vents.

Also, it could be that other flaps are just stuck open, decreasing the airflow to the defrost. Set the vents to defrost only, and check all other vents to see if air is still coming out. My foot vents have the same issue, full blast but they barely work. All my other vents work fine though.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
IvanE36
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discostar View Post
There are little flaps around the heater box that direct the air from the blower to the different vents you select. I have a similar problem but mine is a 92 325is with manual knobs not the newer climate control unit.

Those flaps can get stuck. Perhaps they are just unable to fully redirect the air to the Defrost vents.

Also, it could be that other flaps are just stuck open, decreasing the airflow to the defrost. Set the vents to defrost only, and check all other vents to see if air is still coming out. My foot vents have the same issue, full blast but they barely work. All my other vents work fine though.
i have same thing, i can even hear that the air flow was redirected and no there is no air what so ever from other vents when climate is set on defrost, only a lot of sound but no air. I guess the only solution is to take the dashboard apart...
Old 01-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #7
tehskeo
CEL Magnet

The flaps seems like a logical place to look at, especially if you feel air coming from other vents at full blast. I have a '98 with the auto climate control and I can hear the flaps squeak as they move around when I change the settings. I have a feeling that there's some sort of rubber seal around the flap which may get stuck.

I have no idea how to access these things or if you have to spend hours taking the dash apart. if someone has done it or is going to do it, I hope they chime in here with some info! I'd be keen to just lube the flaps as a preventative measure...
tehskeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Not going to be a fun job. You can get away with just takin the center console out and drilling a hole in a dash supoort but you can take the heater core cover off without pulling dash.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #9
Discostar
2nd Gear Member

Yes, unfortunately as I understand it, the whole dash must come out for this job. I will be tackling the heater box in the summer.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:09 AM   #10
IvanE36
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discostar View Post
Yes, unfortunately as I understand it, the whole dash must come out for this job. I will be tackling the heater box in the summer.
yeap thats what i thought too , boomarked the link on DIY dash removal lol we'll see what happens
Old 01-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
When was the last time your changed your cabin filter? Maybe it's clogged.
this. It may sound silly but did you close the door on the cabin filter correctly? If its not on right, air will not be forced into the vents..
Old 01-26-2012, 02:26 AM   #12
IvanE36
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5style View Post
this. It may sound silly but did you close the door on the cabin filter correctly? If its not on right, air will not be forced into the vents..
well in that case air won't to be forced to any of the vents right ? not only on top ones, but you really made me want to check now lol
Old 01-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
tg07lq
4th Gear Member

i had a simliar issue and all it was was the ducting had come uncoupled, not easiest job to check but easier than pulling the whole dash out.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #14
IvanE36
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg07lq View Post
i had a simliar issue and all it was was the ducting had come uncoupled, not easiest job to check but easier than pulling the whole dash out.
how did you check it ? any suggestions where should i start ? Thanks.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #15
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanE36 View Post
well in that case air won't to be forced to any of the vents right ? not only on top ones, but you really made me want to check now lol
yes, it will all flow out near the footwells, looks like you might be stuck with a dash job

Tags
3series, 92-99, e36, problem, windshield defroster

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: