Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #46
330zhp
1st Gear Newbie

When my car arrived from the USA I just had a short visit to Canadian Tire where they verfied it 'Canadian' legal....$125 visit is all. I've had my car for the whole warm season now and am I completely happy. Tons of people have asked about the process I used to get such a car at such a reasonable price. They can't believe the car is 7 years old, and in mint condition. I'm just now organizing a safe and warm winter storage but i hope for some good colourful September/October driving yet... bit I'll miss it during the winter!
330zhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #47
bigcletus
2nd Gear Member

330zhp, when did you import it ?? Did you bring a recall letter from the US ??? No visit to BMW dealer here ?? Were DRLs turned on in the US ??

Sorry for the ??? but I want to get as much info as possible.

Thanks
Old 10-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #48
JiffyPop
2nd Gear Member

If your buying a used car privately, could you get the seller to write up a bill of sale for a smaller amount then what you paid so the 19% worth of taxes is reduced?
JiffyPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #49
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Yes, you could, but the border agents aren't stupid. You will be fined as well as have to pay the HST if they figure it out. They will look on craigslist, ebay, forums etc. My brother in law tried it, and paid for it.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #50
330zhp
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcletus View Post
330zhp, when did you import it ?? Did you bring a recall letter from the US ??? No visit to BMW dealer here ?? Were DRLs turned on in the US ??

Sorry for the ??? but I want to get as much info as possible.

Thanks
Brought it over the border in May, Yes, all the recall papers had to be in order before it left the USA. A BMW dealer down there did a PPI and an update of the recall notices was inclcuded in that service. They also did the DRL's. This cost a few hundred $'s but is necessary. Upon delivery I simply took it to a Canadian Tire to get the Canadian stamp of approval. You have a form that crosses the border with the car which you must present to Canadian tire within a limited time-frame. I also immediately went to a very good import (and independant) service shop in Barrie and he went over the car for me also as I still had the option of returning (a great benefit in dealing with Sportscarlocate!) it if I was unhappy. He thought it was a great find, very sound in every way. He was NOT a BMW dealer but services older BMW's MB and other higher end imports. Mine being a 2005 had no warranty so his inspection was important for me.
330zhp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw import recall riv

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: