Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #31
wee man
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Welland Ont.
Posts: 8
This rule about taking a car to the US.Border Control first ! is not nessary. Sorry I did not mean to be so vague. I live very near the border (Niagara) and lots of people down hear are buying cars in the States. It is nothing new around hear. A proper Title & Bill of Sale is all that is required at any Can. Custons border crossing, Unless it has changed in the last month. thanks
wee man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #32
jkho
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Barrie
Posts: 32
Weeman - you're only partially correct. You can opt to not stop at the US border and properly "export" your car with the required paperwork. However, if you go back into the US and are pulled over by the police, you face a $5000 fine for possession of an improperly exported item...or some nonsense like that.

I recently helped a friend move from the US to Canada and I explicitly asked the Canadian Border Services Agency about this so I have first hand info.

That being said, I don't know why you wouldn't stop at the US border to get your "stamp." I've imported 2 cars from the US and each time it took me less than 5 mins to get my stamp. Mind you, I was the first person in line (e.g. Got there as soon as it opened) and had done all of my homework and was well prepared. If you get there at 4:59pm on a Friday, you may have a different experience.
jkho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #33
m3the01
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxMMM View Post
if you take this route:

1) your warranty is not honoured in Canada (unless the specific dealer decides to) as per BMW Canada's policy they won't and aren't supposed to.

2) My buddy who imported at the same time as me did what you suggested and had his car branded unfit by the MTO a few weeks later. Now he's fighting it out in court. All dealers have specific instructions that they will face fines / repercussions for disclosing this info, since at the top it says "This is not to be distributed to any third parties"

Something to do with the report not accurately reflecting the actual recalls outstanding on the car.

Sorry, where is your source for information? I have bought several bmw's from the US. A recall letter from an american dealer is all that is required, simple print screen is even acceptable as long as they are an authorized BMW dealer.

Please see,
http://www.riv.ca/RecallClearance.aspx

Likewise, call bmw canada and inform them you are moving to the Canada and ask if your US warranty is valid. The warranty is valid, and one even has the option to move back and reactivate the warranty in the states. I dont have experience on the latter, but was told on the phone it is possible.
m3the01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #34
dcramer
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orangeville
Posts: 1,053
Actually I didn't read the second point carefully enough. The reason the employees are not allowed to distribute this is to allow BMW to charge you egregious amounts of money for it

Do you really think they have a separate computer system for this ?
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #35
m3the01
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 8
What about point 1, ur warranty is not honored... i assume he is speaking if one does not obtain the recall letter from bmw canada.

However, i know from personal experience this wasnt required for me and several friends to have our vehicles worked on under warranty.

Has something changed? Im not saying it is for sure untrue. I would like the source of the information, policy change, etc.
m3the01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #36
HalifaxMMM
Know it all
 
HalifaxMMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ontario
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3the01 View Post
What about point 1, ur warranty is not honored... i assume he is speaking if one does not obtain the recall letter from bmw canada.

However, i know from personal experience this wasnt required for me and several friends to have our vehicles worked on under warranty.

Has something changed? Im not saying it is for sure untrue. I would like the source of the information, policy change, etc.
"All modifications required to make cars conform to Canadian standards must be done by an authorized BMW dealer in Canada"


http://www.apa.ca/CanadianWarrantyin...ghtintheUS.asp

http://crm.bmw.ca/content/pressRelea...fs.asp?lang=en

This means going through BMW Canada, getting the recall letter through them, doing your cluster swap and DRL there.

I spoke to BMW Canada probably about 4-5 times and they confirmed this - you need to meet canadian standards to have the warranty continued. I know some people who got lucky and had their car warranty serviced - but all they need to do is see that you didn't get the recall done through them to reject you. Knock on wood, especially on a big job like an engine failure.
__________________

[b]rings [M]ore [W]omen
HalifaxMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #37
dcramer
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orangeville
Posts: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3the01 View Post
What about point 1, ur warranty is not honored... i assume he is speaking if one does not obtain the recall letter from bmw canada.

However, i know from personal experience this wasnt required for me and several friends to have our vehicles worked on under warranty.

Has something changed? Im not saying it is for sure untrue. I would like the source of the information, policy change, etc.
Well, my guess is this is correct. Either way it is still just BMW's way of persuading you to not buy from the states. They get a huge premium for their cars here just because they can. They are reluctant to give that up.

My car didn't have warranty so it wasn't an issue. I would think they would still have to fix safety recalls regardless of which side of the border you are on.
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #38
m3the01
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 8
I disagree, there is a crazy amount of people who have done this without going through BMW-Canada.

Maybe list it as suggested, the DRL requirement is simple as it can be activated through i-drive or american dealer when purchasing if they dont have i-drive. I understand completely that we should not have the ability to turn it off, but for most people they only care about passing the canadian tire inspection.

Could people who have been denied warranty work for a valid warranty procedures and told they are being denied because they did not import their vehicle correctly please comment?
m3the01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #39
HalifaxMMM
Know it all
 
HalifaxMMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ontario
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3the01 View Post
I disagree, there is a crazy amount of people who have done this without going through BMW-Canada.

Maybe list it as suggested, the DRL requirement is simple as it can be activated through i-drive or american dealer when purchasing if they dont have i-drive. I understand completely that we should not have the ability to turn it off, but for most people they only care about passing the canadian tire inspection.

Could people who have been denied warranty work for a valid warranty procedures and told they are being denied because they did not import their vehicle correctly please comment?
My brother was denied warranty by BMW Canada but was provided warranty at BMW Mississauga.

BMW Toronto checked the computer to see that he didn't do it through BMW, and BMW Mississauga didn't even check.
__________________

[b]rings [M]ore [W]omen
HalifaxMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #40
m3the01
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 8
So he checked the i-drive display... lol.

Seriously man, get the DRL activated through coding in the US its like $50. Then ur set, bmw canada will be happy. Well kinda...hehe

For those that only care about Canadian tire, i-drive activate DRL and ur set.

Good luck,

PS remember thousands of BMW's have been imported into Canada, if everyone is being denied warranty cause they used a legit letter from the US service screen we would hear a lot more stories. I think the worst case would be to pay the $500 or $360 from unity auto (dealership in Toronto).

cheers,

Last edited by m3the01; 01-18-2012 at 12:58 PM.
m3the01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #41
HalifaxMMM
Know it all
 
HalifaxMMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ontario
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3the01 View Post
So he checked the i-drive display... lol.

Seriously man, get the DRL activated through coding in the US its like $50. Then ur set, bmw canada will be happy. Well kinda...hehe

For those that only care about Canadian tire, i-drive activate DRL and ur set.

Good luck,

PS remember thousands of BMW's have been imported into Canada, if everyone is being denied warranty cause they used a legit letter from the US service screen we would hear a lot more stories. I think the worst case would be to pay the $500 or $360 from unity auto (dealership in Toronto).

cheers,
Agreed.

I feel HORRIBLE for people who could have activated their DRL through the I-Drive but ended up paying BMW an arm & a leg

I hope everyone is clear that the Angel eyes/halos that most of our BMW's come with are OK for Canadian Tire in terms of DRL. When my brother took his to BMW Toronto initially they said "No, although the Halos come on when the ignition is on - they aren't actually DRL" Such crap.

I confirmed with Canadian Tire - Halos/Angels are ACCEPTABLE as DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS! Don't be fooled people!
__________________

[b]rings [M]ore [W]omen

Last edited by HalifaxMMM; 01-18-2012 at 01:19 PM.
HalifaxMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #42
330zhp
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Muskoka
Posts: 20
I just went through this whole process but I had some great help. I imported a 2005 330 vert. I found the car using Sportscarlocate.com Dan at SCL found the car, scrutinized it thoughly before any further steps, verified it was legit, organized PPI at a nearby BMW dealer where the car was being sold, negotiated a low/fair price, organized shipping through a secure and reliable carrier, smoothed all the red-tape involved... and there is ALOT! He charges a fee based on the price of the vehicle which I think was fair. After paying HST, customs, shipping and his fees, I came in about 5-10K lower than anything I saw for sale in Canada. Further, I got a US car that had a rare ZHP package (also 6 speed manual) on it that exceeds the Canadian version for performance etc.. It was a great experience. I also could have travelled to bring the vehicle over the border myself but this would have added to my expense as well as the fact that it was late winter and I didn't want to risk bad roads/weather. I'm sure there are others ways of doing it but for a 'newbie' it sure made life easier.
330zhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #43
bigcletus
2nd Gear Member
 
bigcletus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NB
Posts: 103
Thanks for the great info. Beginning in winter of 2013-14 I hope to become a Snowbird in FL. I currently have an 03 E39 530i, which is a great car, but I'm looking forward to a late model (09+) 335 hard-top convertible...esp to drive thru the Keys. I'll drive whatever I buy back to Canada to export. I plan on buying at a BMW dealer in the US and DRLs have turned on, and an official recall letter will be part of the deal. I do have a question on the cluster: the US models have Kms & mph, so why does that NOT meet Cdn specs when just about every other manufacturer's vehicles also have both ?? My current E39 has only kms.
bigcletus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #44
dcramer
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orangeville
Posts: 1,053
It does meet CDN specs, BMW just wants to bend you over.
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #45
bigcletus
2nd Gear Member
 
bigcletus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NB
Posts: 103
Thats...what I thought lol
__________________
bigcletus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bmw import recall riv

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.