Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

TD meloche monnex pre insurance car inspection??

i used to be insured with desjardin and i was paying 200 for one way...

and they canceled the policy on me because i didnt change my BC license on time..

and i called up TD meloche monnex and got full coverage for 168 dollars.
( insurance policy in effect starting today )

but they told me i have to do a pre insurance car inspection within the 30 days.

anyone with td meloche monnex and do their inspection?

is this just like safety test? because i think i need new tie rods and new windshield , i'll definitely get new windshield before the inspection but are they going to be all up on my ass for having m3 bumper / projector headlights / side skirts / contour rims / slightly lowered ...?
Old 01-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
Red_Rocket
2nd Gear Member

When i got my E30 insured with them they said the same thing. I had to go to one of those rust check places. They took pics of my car and gave me a file number and that was it. Months later they called me and asked me why i didnt have that done. So i told them i did and just asked me for the file number, so i guess its not the biggest deal. Dunno Hope that helps.
Red_Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

They require inspections on older cars to look for any defects and prior damage so they can adjust their policy accordingly.

They will check for any "upgrades" from factory specifications but you'll be fine for the headlights, side skirts and rims. But they will likely not be happy with the lowered car... if they do however ask if you lowered it, say no, just say that that is how the car came when you bought it way back when. You can also run the b/s about it costing way too much to buy oem suspension and that you can't afford to make any changes to the car blah blah and the agent will usually let it go without issue. But if your car is slightly lowered I wouldn't worry. I've had 2 inspections with them on 2 slightly lowered cars and it was never an issue. The only items I was ever questioned about was the stereo (which they say they will not cover unless I pay extra as it was an aftermarket deck, and since I had a short-ram intake, but they let that go because I told them that that's how I got the car and that I cannot afford to pay $600 for a factory airbox from the dealership and they let it go... best part is, because it's disclosed to your insurance, in case of an accident they will not deny you any claims due to aftermarket parts. So the inspection will actually work in your favour, not against you... hopefully you don't get some a$$hole agent though as I'm sure there are some that will try to make life miserable.

Cheers...

Never did one on the 335i though, probably because it was too new for them to bother.

MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

^^ thank you very much guys .

my engine bay is 100 percent stock + stock exhaust.. and everything.

i should get my cracked windshield fixed before this right? lol
Old 01-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
dbworld4k
Addict

I think they asked for the same thing for my car, but nothing ever came of it...

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
Michel
6th Gear Member

I had to get this done on my cars as well. My corolla is a 2010 and I still had to do it, so I don't think age matters. On my bmw, they basically asked me if I wanted to have my rims insured, so I said no; they marked them down as an upgrade/modification but I'm not paying any premium on them. All they did was take pics of the vin numbers and odometer to make sure everything matches in case of insurance fraud...
Old 01-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
Sirjetblack
1st Gear Newbie

No car inspection from monnex for my car.
Sirjetblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

oh okay so i dont have to worry so much..lol

its just like how insurance agent used to come to your house to take pictures but TD just makes you go to a place to make it easier for them.

thanks guys for the info
Old 01-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
sproule905
6th Gear Member

Never had td come and check out any of my cars, but then again I always used oem parts, except for the suspensions.

I wouldn't be too worried about this. Just don't lie and say our car is not turbo'd when they ask for modifications.

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

All they do is take a front 3/4 picture and a rear 3/4 picture from the opposite side so they have a view of all 4 sides of the car on file. Then they take a picture of the VIN in two spots (windshield and door) and a picture of the odometer. If there is any obvious damage to the car they will take a picture of it, and if there are any obvious exterior or interior modifications they will take a picture of them. They aren't going to comb over your car in fine detail, the place I went to didn't pop the hood or anything, the guy didn't even mention the rims I had or the fact that the car was clearly not stock ride height.

The whole idea behind the inspection is to prevent insurance fraud where people get a car insured and then make a claim for damages that existed before the insurance policy existed. Some people also have a tendency to insure cars that don't exist or that they never owned and then report them stolen and get a settlement. This just gives them a record of the general state of your car around the time the policy was enacted.

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 01-04-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Bullet Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #11
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

They only asked me for 3 pictures of the car when I put full coverage on the M3.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #12
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
They only asked me for 3 pictures of the car when I put full coverage on the M3.
3 pics is the bare minimum as you can get the whole car in two shots and one other shot of the VIN#
Some places take more.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #13
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
3 pics is the bare minimum as you can get the whole car in two shots and one other shot of the VIN#
Some places take more.
Hmm, they didn't ask me for any of the VIN, just front, rear and interior. I guess it depends.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #14
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
Hmm, they didn't ask me for any of the VIN, just front, rear and interior. I guess it depends.
lol, sort of defeats the purpose. you could have took pictures of someone else's silver E36 M3. I'm actually surprised that they let you take the pictures and send them in and didn't make you go to an authorized shop that takes the inspection pics.

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 01-04-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Bullet Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #15
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

How long ago was that tdote30 ??

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: