Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
Trekz
4th Gear Member

Help figure out Transmission bearing noise.

Hey guys! I have a 94 e36 325. My transmission developed a really bad bearing noise. Its most noticeable when idling in Neutral with the Clutch ENGAGED(not pressing pedal). And it goes away when i DISENGAGE(pedal pressed down) the clutch. So i figured it must be the Input shaft bearing. Today i droped the tranny and found that my throw out bearing is really noisy when spun by hand. Is it likely that that was the problem? Does the throw out bearing still make contact when the clutch is ENGAGED? Because tomorow i have 2 options.
A. put in a tranny out of a 318 in unknown condition with new throw out bearing - on this tranny it feels like the output shaft has a bit of play (not sure if normal)
B. Use the same tranny (no shifting problems) with a new throw out bearing and hope that it wasn't the input shaft bearing making noise.

Suggestion are highly appreciated.
Suspension Mods: Front Strut bar, Eibach spings, Billstein Struts.
Interior Mods: M3 buckets, Reverse Glow gauges, Momo steering wheel, M3 Shift Knob, M3 Headliner

Last edited by Trekz; 12-28-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Trekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
hawgripper
2nd Gear Member

my 94 525i did the same thing when in neutral. I never did pull the gearbox but it never effected any shifting issues. It sounds to me like the throwout bearing. the throwout bearing should be smooth as silk when you spin it.
I would change the bearing and anything else that may be worn. Maybe change the friction plate while your in there.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
kenmar
3rd Gear Member

Had the same problem with my Mazda some years ago and it was the pilot bearing. I would replace both the pilot bearing and the release bearing.
kenmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
Steve30
Techno Viking

It could be the input shaft bearing. The throwout bearing would make noise when you press the clutch pedal.

E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325 Project
Steve30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
NateE36
2nd Gear Member

sorry to jack this thread but i have a similar problem when shifting into second or third (makes a grinding noise) I think its the synchcros starting to give on me , i haven't noticed the sound when my clutch is in only while putting it into gear any ideas? and also would it be easier for me just to pick up another trans for cheap or get this looked after ( I also don't have a proper garage or equipment to do this so i'll be taking ti somewhere
NateE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
kenmar
3rd Gear Member

I had similar problems when my clutch slave cylinder was on its way out. Since you have the problem with 2nd and 3rd, not likely synchros unless if you mis-shifted badly in both gears. Sometimes you can work around a bad slave cylinder by double clutching (two quick up and down clutch motions) before you change gears. This lets you develop better hydraulic pressure for the gear shift.
kenmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
If anyone here needs a 325i/is/ic getrag transmission, I got one! pm me.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
NateE36
2nd Gear Member

thanks ken mar I haven't thought of that(clutch slave cyl) i read up on it seems to be a fairly common thing ill get it looked after soon, i was also double clutching earlier and it diddnt seem to make that noise so it looks like it for sure.

e30_kid- check your p.m's i am interested.
NateE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
Trekz
4th Gear Member

Now im lost! I replace the tranny with a good used on i had lying around pretty low millage and from what i remember there was no issues with it. And i replace the throw out bearing. BUT THE NOISE IS STILL THERE. When the car idles in neutral you can hear a grinding noise sounds like a dry bearing, And as soon as i step on the clutch pedal it goes away. What else could it possibly be? Im guessing the only other possibly is the pilot bearing.
Suspension Mods: Front Strut bar, Eibach spings, Billstein Struts.
Interior Mods: M3 buckets, Reverse Glow gauges, Momo steering wheel, M3 Shift Knob, M3 Headliner

Last edited by Trekz; 01-03-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Trekz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: