Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

And I am stored for the winter: the work begins

This year is d-day.

To start, I am very unhappy with my koni suspension. It sits retardedly high for a lowered suspension and koni shocks suck, badly. Noisy, crappy rebound, etc

So, that is going to get swapped out.

- Next, new control arms for the front, new bushings, time to get rid of the squeeks. Already in the trunk, ready for installation.

-M3 Zf 5 speed!!! Its been sitting in my garage for far too long and its time to get it ready to go in.

My questions start here. I have a brand new clutch, throw out bearing, pressure plate, etc for the 318's getrag. I have tested the 318's clutch disc and it fits the Zf's input shaft perfectly.

So, that means i can use my stock flywheel, and this clutch kit, with the ZF right?

I am going to be doing a fluid flush in the zf ( duh), new tranny mounts to match the new m3 engine mounts ( already installed) , what else do I need?

I want to run the stock diff for now i think, I am guessing shifter linkage, shifter support, and driveshaft?

Next, m3 rear sway arms with m3 brakes! I am going to do ALL the bushings on these, new rotor shields, wheel bearings while its still out of the car.

I have the whole kit, now, do I need to use the m3 halfshafts? I have them WITH the diff sprockets.

Can I use my stock spring perch arms, and control arms? ( they are significantly cleaner, the m3 ones are damaged ( the control arms especially))

I don't want to drop the diff for now ( small garage , no lift) so I would love it if i could recycle my spring perch arms and control arms for the time being.

Brake booster! I have an m3 one ready to go. I noticed one of the fluid lines has a different input flange ( its larger on the m3), is the 328's usable, or will the m3 one work?

Thats about all i can think of for now! Pics coming
Old 12-15-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Also, what is good in terms of tranny mounts? Nothing super stiff...
Old 12-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Steve30
Techno Viking

Go with stock mounts. You could use the e21 ones which are a bit beefier. Anything else that's poly will be pretty stiff.

E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325is winter build
Steve30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
What koni suspension do you have? Did you buy it new?

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

koni makes great shocks.

which are you running?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:31 PM   #6
Discostar
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
koni makes great shocks.
Opinions vary. I myself have had a bad experience with Koniís, and I have heard first hand stories about problems with leaking after just one or two years.

I donít know if its inconsistencies in build quality, or something else, but it seems they donít fair too well with our winters. Iím sure there not complete crap, but unless I lived in the south where it was warmer all year round, I wouldnít go with Koni again.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #7
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
I only ask because bilsteins aren't an option for people who want to go really low. (internal bump-stop)

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #8
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discostar View Post
I have heard first hand stories about problems with leaking after just one or two years.
Try 3 track days! Haha

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
Discostar
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
I only ask because bilsteins aren't an option for people who want to go really low. (internal bump-stop)
If your using them on the street they may be a little stiff, but have you seen the Group N's from Bilstein? Even at their highest setting they are still lower then stock.

I assume your referring to the HD's, or PSS9's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
Try 3 track days! Haha
Case in point...

Ouch, that sucks. I hope Koni exchanged them for you. I hear they are usually pretty good with that atleast. Although not much of a consolation.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5style View Post
This year is d-day.

To start, I am very unhappy with my koni suspension. It sits retardedly high for a lowered suspension and koni shocks suck, badly. Noisy, crappy rebound, etc

- Next, new control arms for the front, new bushings, time to get rid of the squeeks. Already in the trunk, ready for installation. [Hope you got m3 offset bushings

-M3 Zf 5 speed!!! Its been sitting in my garage for far too long and its time to get it ready to go in.

My questions start here. I have a brand new clutch, throw out bearing, pressure plate, etc for the 318's getrag. I have tested the 318's clutch disc and it fits the Zf's input shaft perfectly.

So, that means i can use my stock flywheel, and this clutch kit, with the ZF right?Not 100% sure on this, will likely have to experiment with throwout bearing combos incase the depth isn't right. But I've heard of m50 flywheel/clutch/etc on a M42 getrag so I don't see why you can't go the other way. Call UUC and ask them, they are pretty good at answering questions.

I am going to be doing a fluid flush in the zf ( duh), new tranny mounts to match the new m3 engine mounts ( already installed) , what else do I need?I have e21 tranny mounts and they are perfect.

I want to run the stock diff for now i think, I am guessing shifter linkage, shifter support, and driveshaft?

Next, m3 rear sway arms with m3 brakes! I am going to do ALL the bushings on these, new rotor shields, wheel bearings while its still out of the car.

I have the whole kit, now, do I need to use the m3 halfshafts? I have them WITH the diff sprockets.I would use the m3 halfshafts since you already have them. I assume by sprockets you mean flanges, if so don't bother unbolting the halfshafts from the flange. Pop out the whole assemble and it will be immediately clear what combo you will have to use to make it work. If you need a medium case diff, I have a 3.91 open you can have for a 12 pack of polish beer. Changing the diff is a piece of cake on these cars FYI.

Can I use my stock spring perch arms, and control arms? ( they are significantly cleaner, the m3 ones are damaged ( the control arms especially))Yes you can reuse your stock parts, the only difference in the back is the trailing arm. I would change the inner bushings on both while you're in there though.

I don't want to drop the diff for now ( small garage , no lift) so I would love it if i could recycle my spring perch arms and control arms for the time being.

Brake booster! I have an m3 one ready to go. I noticed one of the fluid lines has a different input flange ( its larger on the m3), is the 328's usable, or will the m3 one work?Do you mean master cylinder? Take a picture of what you mean here, will be easier to figure out. I put an m3 master on my 328i booster, and swapped to m3 abs as well.

Answered everything I could.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:48 AM   #11
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

This year is d-day.

- Next, new control arms for the front, new bushings, time to get rid of the squeeks. Already in the trunk, ready for installation. [Hope you got m3 offset bushings

-Oui!

So, that means i can use my stock flywheel, and this clutch kit, with the ZF right?Not 100% sure on this, will likely have to experiment with throwout bearing combos incase the depth isn't right. But I've heard of m50 flywheel/clutch/etc on a M42 getrag so I don't see why you can't go the other way. Call UUC and ask them, they are pretty good at answering questions.
Damn it! depths! I ll have to do some research here too!

I am going to be doing a fluid flush in the zf ( duh), new tranny mounts to match the new m3 engine mounts ( already installed) , what else do I need?I have e21 tranny mounts and they are perfect.
Gotcha, gonna order a set, 100% stock ones right?

I have the whole kit, now, do I need to use the m3 halfshafts? I have them WITH the diff sprockets.I would use the m3 halfshafts since you already have them. I assume by sprockets you mean flanges, if so don't bother unbolting the halfshafts from the flange. Pop out the whole assemble and it will be immediately clear what combo you will have to use to make it work. If you need a medium case diff, I have a 3.91 open you can have for a 12 pack of polish beer. Changing the diff is a piece of cake on these cars FYI.
Got it. I will double check, but I know its not the mid diff for sure, its too small.

Can I use my stock spring perch arms, and control arms? ( they are significantly cleaner, the m3 ones are damaged ( the control arms especially))Yes you can reuse your stock parts, the only difference in the back is the trailing arm. I would change the inner bushings on both while you're in there though.

Bushings and bearings, rotor shields, i am going to swap everything out PRIOR to installing, I don't wanna go through the front end fiasco again with train wheel sounds from dead bearings.

Brake booster! I have an m3 one ready to go. I noticed one of the fluid lines has a different input flange ( its larger on the m3), is the 328's usable, or will the m3 one work?Do you mean master cylinder? Take a picture of what you mean here, will be easier to figure out. I put an m3 master on my 328i booster, and swapped to m3 abs as well

Yeah, master cylinder, i noticed one of the hoses has input/output flanges which are not the same size.... will take pics when I go to the garage next

Old 12-22-2011, 01:50 AM   #12
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
koni makes great shocks.

which are you running?
Koni SP + front and back. Rears are garbage, fronts are garbage now too, not satisfied at all
Old 12-22-2011, 07:18 AM   #13
dcramer
5th Gear Member

while you have the tranny out, replace the 5th gear detent bushing and pin
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:52 AM   #14
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5style View Post
Koni SP + front and back. Rears are garbage, fronts are garbage now too, not satisfied at all

Koni SPs are stock replacements, not meant for lowering. I would say that is why you had a bad experience.

My Koni SAs have been great so far. Kurt did have problems with his TCKs? Which are re-vavled Koni's (Almost everyone sells re-valved koni kits), not sure if the re-valving has any effect on reliability. or QC. either way they have lifetime warranty and can be fixed, it's just a hassle.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #15
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
Koni SPs are stock replacements, not meant for lowering. I would say that is why you had a bad experience.

My Koni SAs have been great so far. Kurt did have problems with his TCKs? Which are re-vavled Koni's (Almost everyone sells re-valved koni kits), not sure if the re-valving has any effect on reliability. or QC. either way they have lifetime warranty and can be fixed, it's just a hassle.
Well that explains the pathetic ride height and wobbly weak rear!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: