Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
spoon_civic1
2nd Gear Member

cracked rad

i have a 95 325 with a 97 s52 in it and i just noticed coolant all over the garage, im looking to upgrade to an aluminum rad and electric fan, the car is going to be 90% track car 10% street, just wondering if anyone can give me any input on how to go about this and what brand are most reputable

Thanks in advance

Leo
spoon_civic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

if you dont want to spend a boatload. mishimoto is a good bang for the buck aluminum rad. rmp has good price too iirc.

as with anything it too can fail...some have on folks. anything can fail, though the old plastic rads are way more prone to failure thees days. they are old...

there are other more expensive/baller brands like zionsville but $$$$$

if you are looking for an oem replacement the s54 rad from the m coupe is a drop in with bigger capacity. still constructed like the oem rad you have now but its new plastics of course.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
spoon_civic1
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the info, much appreciated.... just bought a mishimoto rad, another question....How do i go about installing an electric fan, do i have to have it running all the time or do i have to run it off a switch. Im used to my good old hondas where i just plug it in and walk away lol
spoon_civic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

I tapped the relay into the stock fan wiring, so that when the fan comes on low or high my secondary puller comes on as well. This coupled with a 80/88* fan switch and there is no worries of overheating again.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

you dont need an electric fan if you are keeping your mechanical fan...

even if you ditch the mechanical fan (fan delete mod) you are still fine with the aux fan. if you choose to do an electric fan... doing it into the switch/stock aux fan wiring like above is fine.

you can also do it manually..but id probably not do it that way unless it was pure race car.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: