Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
tehskeo
CEL Magnet

Exhaust vibration absorber DIY fix

I was at my cottage about a month ago and when I parked my car and started to walk away, I looked back (as I always do ) and I found that there was something hanging from under the car near the muffler.

After much worrying and, at one point, thinking it was a bomb or something, I found out that it was a vibration absorber (P/N 18201433175, #18 on diagram) attached to the exhaust to prevent a rattle at idle:

I found that the heavy damper is merely bonded to the bracket from the vactory, doomed to fail eventually. BMW even attached a little braided metal safety tether in the event it falls off the bracket to prevent it from killing/mutilating/destroying whatever is behind you. Unfortunately, this part is ~$120 or more depending on where you look, so I decided to fix it myself. It's really simple!

Below is a stock part:

The allen bolt is there to clamp down on the safety tether only. My solution was to remove the tether completely and replace it with a large washer which will allow the bolt to clamp the weight and the bracket together. Here is the end result all painted up:

Red arrow is the washer, green arrow is the allen bolt.

Here are a few more angles:

On a side note, the bolts that held the bracket to the exhaust were rusted to the bracket, so when I removed it from the car, both bolt heads were snapped and I had to drill them out and re-tap the bracket.

Last edited by tehskeo; 10-05-2011 at 09:46 AM.
tehskeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
sproule905
6th Gear Member

I believe some M3 exhausts have this, and people do the same as you described above. Mine for instance, does not. But koodo's to the write up!~

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: