Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
jodyStevens
1st Gear Newbie

Slipping Clutch?

So, Ive been thinking maybe my clutch is starting to go because my car seems to take a lot of rev to get moving, my car sort of lurches while driving and you let off the gas or step on it. Its getting a lot harder to get up hills, I basically have to be in 3rd gear doing 70-80. And today my car started to roll slowly downhill while parked in second gear. So I'm just wondering is it probably the clutch or possibly the tranny? And if it is the clutch, should I just get the clutch disc, throwout bearing and pressure plate?
jodyStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
Discostar
2nd Gear Member

If it is your clutch (and it may not be) replace everything, including pressure plate and pilot bearing. Dont cheap out. Especially if your paying for labor. You dont wanna have to do it all over again cause you tried to save a few bucks on something the first time around.
Discostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

a way to check is shift from 1st to 5th and the RPM will go up and u wont be moving if this happens u better book an appointment ASAP and u will replace everything comes in a kit
BmW1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
jodyStevens
1st Gear Newbie

http://tinyurl.com/3hmdvtk

would that be good?

Or does the 318i not have a dual mass flywheel?

Last edited by jodyStevens; 10-01-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #5
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Ok I dont mean to be an ass but:
318i=need more rpm to get moving
Lurching could be anything from guibos, throw out bearing, engine mounts common on m42 m44s
and other things, need more detail.
Sounds like your maf hose has a huge leak if you dont have power to get up hills. Rolling in second gear is normal, its a small engine it can t hold the weight in a wider gear then first or reverse.

Are you reving past 2 k and not moving? Thats a clutch, accompanied by smell and noise.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
jodyStevens
1st Gear Newbie

No, haha. I get it its not the best bmw but its my first, so im kinda partial to it...even if it is grossly underpowered! Thanks for the info, I dont think its the clutch then, I can take off at a thousand rpms ish. And no smell. So ill check the guibo and engne mounts. I have a k and n style intake. That wouldnt affect anything would it?other than that I replaced all the intake and fuel injection hoses a couple months back, but ill make sure everythings hooked up properly, I appreciate your help!
Old 10-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #7
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Did new reading to your post, th uphill issue could be the intake as I noticed I had sacrifice some power in low revs with a intake to get more pull in high revs.

Personally I don t think its a tranny issue unless you have whining , grinding, syncros popping out your shifter out of gear. Check engine mounts, guibos, if that fails to solve your issue, rear subframe mounts and lastly throw out bearing which if you do you might as well do the clutch

M42 is dual mass, m44 too I believe

Tags
clutch, e36

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: