Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Z series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #46
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian325is View Post
As an owner of a 2000 Boxster S, I would still vote for the Porsche. Yes I am nervous about the IMS problem but sometimes these things are blown a little out of proportion. There is a fix available, part costs about $500 and it is a good idea to fix it if you do a clutch job as you are allready in there. As for fun to drive there is no comparison between the Porsche and BMW. Two different cars, one more sports and handling oriented and one more grand touring. Your choice of what you want. Also you do not need to drop the engine for any service that I am aware of. I have changed oil, air filter, spark plugs, and belt by using the axcess holes on top and behind the seats.

Ps. Did I mention the sound of the Porsche, especially if you remove the intake snorkel.
Agreed - I love the sound of the porsche. Everything I was reading about the IMS was scaring me and I haven't had the best of luck when it comes to "potential" problems. "potential" problems seem to find my car. AFAIK, the IMS problem is a lot more then $500 to fix (assuming you are not doing a clutch job).

I wouldn't call the Z4 "grand touring" - that's going a bit overboard. The Boxster definitely has GREAT handling, but the Z4 is no slouch either. And really speaking - when am I going to have a chance to "throw" my car around corners... near never...

I've chosen the Z4 - it's coming this week. I liked the idea of the Porsche, just not the expense. Maybe for the next go around...

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #47
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

damn congrats!
Old 11-05-2011, 01:39 AM   #48
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

****ING HELL boys...

Picked it up today - I've HAD A BLAST in it...

The car was even better then expected.

We thought the Auction house put the Miles as KM's when they listed it at 22K, but it's ACTUALLY KM's. This thing's barely broken in!!

Drives mint, no rattles, etc.

There was one disappointment - even though it's rare, this one is a manual top. For a minute, I was upset, then I realized I'd never have a roof motor to replace, so that disappointment turned into a blessing in disguise.

the chrome metal trim inside is completely unmolested, no scratches at all.

One small door ding to speak of and a couple of stone chips, but nothing major.

Im in HEAVEN!

Now for upgrades... No wait... Stop... I JUST bought the thing... LOL....

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 11-05-2011, 06:58 AM   #49
cormier
6th Gear Member

Where are the pictures already!!
:p congrats on the buy

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #50
damameke
6th Gear Member

I cant believe a 2007 is still using manual top...

Lower it and space it out at StanceFactory, thats it...

My 2001 Z3 3.0i with auto top is asleep now..
damameke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:47 PM   #51
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

I know... crazy! But you know, I think I like the manual top. It takes no trunk space and no motor to worry about... and **** that! My baby will stay out until I see a forecast for snow!

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 11-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #52
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Some crappy cell phone pics from when it was being detailed at my bro in law's dealership and a couple from my driveway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (118.1 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (138.1 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.JPG (102.1 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg photo 5.JPG (122.0 KB, 194 views)

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 11-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #53
billyr3d
3rd Gear Member

Here you go turbomroadster
Old 04-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #54
Camm
2nd Gear Member

Hey Deep, Enjoyed reading the thread. How do you like the Z4 still? I had been seriously torn last year between Z4, Boxster or Cayman. Ended up getting a Z4 Coupe. It has been spectacular.
Camm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #55
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Loving the car! I've only put about 4500 km's since I got it in October, but we were in colder months and I didn't drive it when there was a hint of snow or salt laying on the road. I've been driving it close to daily for the last month or so.

Here's an updated pic with some upgrades

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149635

I've done the Roadster Solutions WindJammer windscreen (BIG difference!) and 18" M6 Rep Rims. I have HID's to install (was baffled why it didn't come with them) for headlamps and fogs (3000k yellow for fogs) - which might get done today.

Headed over to Stance Factory today to do an oilchange and get the CDV removed. Might do some other stuff after I talk with them.

I'm not going to do any engine work or anything like that. I just don't want to deal with the potential problems that you get when you do engine upgrades. I'll stick to cosmetic. 265 horse is enough for the 3,000 lbs car. I mean, who wouldn't want more - but it's just not worth the hassle to me!

I really wanted a roadster - my dream was to have a true summer car (didn't have a specific one in mind, just true roadster). I had some chances to get cars that weren't exactly what I wanted, but stopped. If it didn't meet all the things I wanted from fulfilling this desire, there was no point in spending the money as I wouldn't be 100% happy with it.

VERY glad to say I held out. I got a great deal on the car, which will hopefully let me get this out of my system after 2-3 years and selling it with minimal loss.

How are you enjoying yours? When did you get it? And welcome to the board!

Deep

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 04-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #56
Camm
2nd Gear Member

I got mine April of last year. It love the little car and actually call it the mini-supercar. I havent done any modifications, because i dont think it needs any and the 265hp is more than good enough. I think it is probably stiffer than the roadster due to the hard top. Honestly, whether due to the hardtop or whatever, it is loud and sounds like a mini DB9.

I had the same feeling as you that i didnt want to compromise on any of the options i truly wanted. I was lucky to find the perfect car from BMW in California, so had them ship it. I love the look of it and being ultra rare, the attention it gets is amusing.

Where are you at? I am organizing a premium car club called Cars and Cappuccinos. we are doing our first meet in Etobicoke, at the Tim Horton, near Kipling subway station, on Sun, May 6th @ 9 am. I am expecting only 10 -15 cars, but it should be a very nice collection

If you are on facebook, here is the club link:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cars-and-Cappuccinos
Camm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #57
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

good stuff!

Dude 9AM on a sunday?? Is you crazy?

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 04-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #58
azn_oo1
2nd Gear Member

does that wind screen really help? I have the same one, and i dont really feel any difference.

and 19s makes the ride so harsh stay away from them LOL

Last edited by azn_oo1; 04-19-2012 at 07:17 PM.
azn_oo1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #59
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_oo1 View Post
does that wind screen really help? I have the same one, and i dont really feel any difference.

and 19s makes the ride so harsh stay away from them LOL
Yup - I heard that, so I picked up 18" M6 reps.

I really notice the difference in colder weather. When you have the heat on, it acts like a back window and brings the air back. It doesn't stop the wind (shouldn't have a convertible if you don't like wind, right?? ) but I find it's more comfortable at 10 degrees. For example, the last few days, I've been driving to work in the morning with the top down, no problems...

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 04-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #60
Z4MC
3rd Gear Member

Looks great with the new wheels! Glad you finally found a nice one. I have had mine out for the past month and love it!

Z4MC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: