Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-17-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
Discostar
2nd Gear Member

Why is my fuel economy so bad?

I own a 1992 325is non-vanos motor. I read about people getting well over 500k per tank on these things, yet somehow I just barely break the 500k mark on fumes with super conservative driving.

I replaced my spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter. Nothing made an impact.

I am planning on cleaning the idle sensor soon. I hear that the O2 sensor has a big impact. Please donít tell me about driving style, I know thatís a major factor. I only get 400km/per tank average with normal driving.

How is there such a big discrepancy between cars and fuel mileage? Could compression be playing a factor? Anyone else experience this issue?

Thanks.
Discostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
It's gotta be your O2 sensor since you've done the other stuff. Although when it's bad, doesn't it throw a code?

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
joey79
2nd Gear Member

I experienced poor fuel mileage for about a month before my O2 sensor threw a code (1221). After replacing the sensor, mileage was back to normal. 500km per tank isn't terrible if that's all stop and go city driving. 400km is bad.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

yea if u get 500k in the city that's ok
BmW1819 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
That's really shitty. My 2.8 is getting about 500 highway right now, and its running in closed loop (o2 is shot)

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

O2 sensor does next to nothing on long highway trips. I know this because I ran no o2 sensor for years and still had great gas mileage in my old 325e.

In town having no O2 sensor, or a malfunctioning one wastes more gas.

I'd say have the emissions tested, this should point out a problem if there is one with the engine/fuel-air mix.

On another note, when you stop driving, quickly walk around the car touching all the rims. If one rim seems hotter than the others you could have a siezed caliper. Also a dragging parking brake can cause some drag. I would also check your tire pressures.

Performance one step at a time.

Last edited by InfiniteDice; 08-18-2011 at 08:27 PM.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
blakneto
3rd Gear Member

Oil separator? (PCV)
blakneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
Discostar
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteDice View Post
O2 sensor does next to nothing on long highway trips. I know this because I ran no o2 sensor for years and still had great gas mileage in my old 325e.

I'd say have the emissions tested, this should point out a problem if there is one with the engine/fuel-air mix.

On another note, when you stop driving, quickly walk around the car touching all the rims. If one rim seems hotter than the others you could have a siezed caliper. Also a dragging parking brake can cause some drag. I would also check your tire pressures.
I run my tire pressures pretty high (40-42 psi cold) so I doubt it would be that, and I did the breaks and replaced my e-brake hardware and backing plate about the same time, but I'll recheck the adjustment.

However, I also had an emmissions test about 6 months ago. The car failed the first time around, then just scraped by on the second try. So I'm guessing that would suggest O2 sensor. That was also before I replaced the air filter, plugs, and fuel filter.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:58 PM   #9
Discostar
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakneto View Post
Oil separator? (PCV)
Are you suggesting pressure in the crank case? how would that have an effect?
Old 08-19-2011, 02:36 AM   #10
blakneto
3rd Gear Member

well from what i've read, and take with a grain of salt... if your PCV is leaking... then oil/waste could be flowing back in to your engine. the PCV is supposed to keep it clean... I would double check with someone more knowledgeable than me...

On a side note, i noticed when i changed my belts (serpentine and a/c) i got way better fuel mileage. I am guessing the serpentine had more to do with it than the a/c.
blakneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:43 AM   #11
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Quote:

obd 1 and 2 most certainly use the o2 sensor while cruising. at wot and when engine is cold? disregarded.

I pull over 500km on my e36 m3 in the city.

OP try o2 sensor
Old 08-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #12
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

It could very well be the O2 sensor. All I'm saying is even if you pull the O2 sensor and run open loop it won't affect gas mileage that much especially if you mostly cruise on the highway. I've run open loop for years and could go about 600km on a 55l tank at the time.

I would pull the plugs, re-check the condition and gap.

I'm just wondering why the car failed the first time then passed. How do you drive the car? Is it automatic? I'm asking this because the engine needs to run above 3k for at least a 10 minute period straight to blow out the crap once in a while (source:87 325i owners manual). This may or may not be the case for an m50 powered car.

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #13
Discostar
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
I'm just wondering why the car failed the first time then passed. How do you drive the car? Is it automatic? I'm asking this because the engine needs to run above 3k for at least a 10 minute period straight to blow out the crap once in a while (source:87 325i owners manual). This may or may not be the case for an m50 powered car.
Its 5-speed, and I track the car 4-5 times a season so I doubt that would be an issue. For the emmisions test, it could be as a result of the cats being cold. When I first took the test the car had been sitting for about an hour and it was a pretty cold day. Perhaps that also had some effect on the O2 sensor during the test. For the second test I took it for a spin to heat everything up, then it passed.

Thanks for all the help. I'll look into the condition of the O2 sensor and see what that does.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #14
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Quote:
All I'm saying is even if you pull the O2 sensor and run open loop it won't affect gas mileage that much especially if you mostly cruise on the highway.
yes it will on any obd1 and up car.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: