Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: What does max prefer?
1999 328is Titansilber 10 20.41%
1997 M3 Cosmos Schwarz 36 73.47%
New Non-Bmw basic car (focus, Cruze, Yaris, fit) 3 6.12%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Vrbovsky
pod stromom

328is vs M3

Here are the facts and the question...

I just bought a clean-ish 328is for dirt cheap with the intention of dropping 4k into it and making a good daily/winter driver

after examining the time and cost I began to think that an e36 M3 would be only a few grand more, be funner, better resale/parts down the road.

I already have a garage queen (minty fresh e30 325is) so no room for another baby.

what do Max? scrap the IS and go M? or save the 328is from the scrap heap?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20110714-00195.jpg (437.5 KB, 597 views)
Vrbovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Vrbovsky
pod stromom

pics of end product/inspiration

meh?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1019.jpg (309.6 KB, 602 views)
File Type: jpg warm1.jpg (163.3 KB, 596 views)
Old 07-17-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Search, there was a similar thread about this exact topic. It turned into a heated debate.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
Vrbovsky
pod stromom

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
Search, there was a similar thread about this exact topic. It turned into a heated debate.
hey sorry I couldn't find it. I knew there would have to be that type of thread somewhere but it never came up in my searches.

I don't want to start a debate, but just get some advice.

i dont want to put in the time and effort if I'll end up with a car close to an m3 in performance, I'd really rather just buy an M3
Old 07-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
ismail
2nd Gear Member

Yeah exactly...if ur looking for performance go with M3, esp if your putting significant money into it.

The one thing u have to realize is these are all old cars now...so even with proper maintenance there will always be a few items outstanding.

I bought mine in really nice shape, but still I can easily put another $4k into it without a thought.

I love the silver on black though so I would stick with that. Thats personal preference.
ismail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

personal preference for sure. To me a 328 will never be an m3 no matter how close they may be from the factory. I test drove both and decided the m3 was the right platform to get
Old 07-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Stock for stock, M3 hands down. Modified, it really doesn't matter since the base is identical.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:18 PM   #8
Vrbovsky
pod stromom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
Stock for stock, M3 hands down. Modified, it really doesn't matter since the base is identical.
That is my dilemma. do I go stock m3 and probably not do any performance upgrades, or do I use the chassis I have now (328is 1999) and mod the friggin crap out of it including an M3 powertrain... to the tune of 7,000$ ??????????
Old 07-19-2011, 12:07 AM   #9
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbovsky View Post
That is my dilemma. do I go stock m3 and probably not do any performance upgrades, or do I use the chassis I have now (328is 1999) and mod the friggin crap out of it including an M3 powertrain... to the tune of 7,000$ ??????????
To me, time is money .... Even if you save a few $$$, it'll take time, and you'll still ahve a modded 328. If you were going full out race or track car, I'd say stick with the 328. For a DD, the M3 is the way to go if you have the cash to spend.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:49 AM   #10
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Put it this way; even the best used M3...its still an OLD car. Things will need to be replaced. If you are going to replace, why not upgrade!
If you are going to buy new aftermarket parts, nothing wrong with starting with a 328! It all comes down to personal taste, if you care more about original and resale value, or pure driving experience.
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:28 AM   #11
Vrbovsky
pod stromom

Yes they are old cars, that's why I'm leaning to the IS. I can replace most wear parts and have a decent car for the next 4 years then scrap it. I don't give a rats arse about the "m" badge on it, since at best its worth less than our family car (09 jetta wagon). I put more value in the end product and I think a well moded IS will be the better option.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 07-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #12
jon.e
2nd Gear Member

I'm in the same delima. I have a 328i and I was planning to buy an M3 earlier. But I thought it would be more fun and I would get more satiscfaction if I just dropped the m3 motor in and did all the subframes, bushing and whatnot. I'd rather build something than buy it. It all comes down to personal preference. They are basically the same car if you do some upgrades.
jon.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #13
ismail
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Yes they are old cars, that's why I'm leaning to the IS. I can replace most wear parts and have a decent car for the next 4 years then scrap it. I don't give a rats arse about the "m" badge on it, since at best its worth less than our family car (09 jetta wagon). I put more value in the end product and I think a well moded IS will be the better option.

Agree 100%...plus ur gonna be using it as a daily...

if u buy a $15K m3 then use it as a daily and its underbody rusts out...ull have the pain of knowing that u took a $15K car and made it worthless.
ismail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #14
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Quote:

Seems like you got your answer! Part of the fun (for me at least) is building it, knowing you did it yourself, and being proud of your accomplishment. If you have the time, patience, and money, you can get a pretty awesome, reliable car, and one that can best those guys who do care only about the ///M

Good luck, and have fun!
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #15
Vrbovsky
pod stromom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb_600 View Post
Seems like you got your answer! Part of the fun (for me at least) is building it, knowing you did it yourself, and being proud of your accomplishment. If you have the time, patience, and money, you can get a pretty awesome, reliable car, and one that can best those guys who do care only about the ///M

Good luck, and have fun!
ya I think you hit the nail on the head there! I rebuilt my e30 from literally a junk pile and now the thing is mint. every time I look at it and drive it I get a good feeling, like I accomplished something. I also am very attached to the car, since I spent hours and hours on my back underneath it.... I'm going for that feeling again!

that being said I just dropped 2k on parts more to come I'm sure!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: