Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-02-2011, 01:36 AM   #1
DIY
Permanently Dirty

Twin Turbo E30 plans

So I have a pair of K03's sittin in my room out of a S4... as it is ridiculous how well they fit the M20 engine (number wise)... also theres a PnP megasquirt in the mail somewhere, and injectors out there waiting for me to buy them ... but my question is, do I make a collector (I have a tig welder) and have a single 3in exhaust, or go with twin pipes? I can do the math and twin will add more back pressure as theres more firction goin on there, but having a cat/baffold muffler will prob make the minor losses negligable...right?? any suggestions? some dyno results? ancient wisdom?

And I wont use the stock one as it should prob be somethin a lil bigger/lighter/not rusting/not clamped together if I go dual

Anyone have some sweet clips of their turbo cars exhaust?(I went to youtube just curious if there are any more out there) a nice deep grumble would be nice...which will prob add back pressure

I was also curious about trying to replicate a flowmaster and see how it goes... thoughts?
DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:43 AM   #2
DIY
Permanently Dirty

this is the compressor map I plotted
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G4SDXNQJ
Old 06-02-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

I think there are a few other guys who've done the twin turbo setup, two of them never completed. If I were doing it, I'd use the already present manifolds and exhaust them into two 2" pipes. You could run two metal substrate cats (they're "thin" and would fit staggered in the factory location no problem) and then into a muffler setup. For mufflers, you can safely go into a collector of say 3" and not lose any performance, as the exhaust gases have cool enough.

Alternatively, you could go with two separate mufflers, a true twin exhaust, even going so far to modify the valance to exit one on each side. That would look swell.

Making a collector isn't hard if you have a bandsaw or are really careful with a hacksaw. You essentially cut two pipes on angles, then once they're positioned together, find the point on the merged area in which the two make a smooth oval and cut the whole thing off flush. Then get larger pipe, hammer it down to make the oval and weld that on.

The angles, oval size and diameter of the larger pipe are the variables in the equation. I know there is some hot math to figure it out (or use Solidworks if you're smart, i'm not) or trial and error. Pipe is cheap, I'd go with the latter.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
DIY
Permanently Dirty

I'm definately gonna make new manifolds as that's the most significant part to reduce lag and increase power. Also the front manifold will curl up while the rear one goes down. I got 50% of the parts so not much farther to go.

I got no prob makin a collector, and I got all the equations from my school books, so no probs there, although I did forget to take intto account the gases cooling ... And solidworks FTW cause you can print off the profile to cut

And I didn't know about substrate cats sounds good
Old 06-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
everlast

Sounds awesome man, looks like you got all the ingredients! With Solidworks and a TIG you should be set.

The downturn turbo will be the rear, 4-5-6 cyl? I have a 3" DP and its a tight, tight fit.

I wonder if you could carve out the front battery tray, weld in a lip to retain strength (though I don't know how much it provides in that respect) and allow yourself way more room for the rear setup.

Are K03's coolant cooled? Gonna be a hose routing challenge to get it to look neat and tidy, if you're into that kind of thing.

Post up progress, I'd be interested to see it happen!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
everlast

Here's a link to the cats:

http://www.hottexhaust.com/search_re...2&txtCatName=2

They ship from Canada.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
DIY
Permanently Dirty

Aw wickid thanks!
I just got my mega squirt in the mail ,... Andturns out to not be a pnp as I thought or 55pin (Grrrr) but ill deal its v3.0, just gotta get the pin layout for my car

I've been lookin at the S4 aftermarket stuff for some ideas on exhaust layout... Its .3L difference how much diff could the noise be
Old 06-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY View Post
Aw wickid thanks!
I just got my mega squirt in the mail ,... Andturns out to not be a pnp as I thought or 55pin (Grrrr) but ill deal its v3.0, just gotta get the pin layout for my car

I've been lookin at the S4 aftermarket stuff for some ideas on exhaust layout... Its .3L difference how much diff could the noise be
.2L difference (2.7L in the S4)..

That said, since it's a V6 in the S4 we usually have 2.5 to 3" DP's and then depending on the turbos setup a 3, 3.5 or even 4" single from the bid section back.

Some older guys have a dual 2.5" all the way back. In your case a single 3" would probably be easier and flow more then enough for the little K03's.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
North
2nd Gear Member

pick up a cheap eta block and swap your 887 head onto it if you want to say **** it and make a 2.8 stroker to boost. Wouldn't cost much more.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:44 PM   #10
DIY
Permanently Dirty

Lol where I'm at is I spent 300 for 2 K03's, which have 120k on em,

500 on a megasquirt, coils, wires, sensors,... Still gotta get a boost controller kit

Just gonna get some 30lb injectors, fuel pump, intercooler and piping,

I can make the manifolds and, exhaust, so just gottta buy the tube and get it bent

So I prob plan to spend another 750
And maybe a bit extra for head studs ...

But all in good time, lol educations takin most of my funding
Old 06-09-2011, 11:51 PM   #11
DIY
Permanently Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
.2L difference (2.7L in the S4)..

That said, since it's a V6 in the S4 we usually have 2.5 to 3" DP's and then depending on the turbos setup a 3, 3.5 or even 4" single from the bid section back.

Some older guys have a dual 2.5" all the way back. In your case a single 3" would probably be easier and flow more then enough for the little K03's.
That's some awesome help thanks, I was lookin at the s4's aftermarket exhaust stuff for some ideas but that's good to know
Old 06-10-2011, 08:16 AM   #12
DIY
Permanently Dirty

Plus if I get that stroker I would need K04 turbos
Old 10-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #13
flex 54
1st Gear Newbie

E 30 exhaust

I have made a dual exhaust from the cat back independent to the rear valance. Battery removed and put in the middle between strut tower's. I also was thing about two small turbo's as well on the M # 20. Not started yet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kiji ads 035.jpg (162.0 KB, 167 views)
flex 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

Jesus....
02 325i Sedan
SamE30e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #15
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

JESUS... hahaha.

Performance one step at a time.