Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #16
Chris916
2nd Gear Member
 
Chris916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 294
Nevermind, your right. Bolt goes through the slit and the tab sits in the hole so i will have to drill through the plate.
Thanks!


Last edited by Chris916; 02-20-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Chris916 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #17
BigD
the misanthropist
 
BigD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: a house
Posts: 6,158
No thank you, I'm planning to get the same mounts and I remade my mount tabs with thick steel and accommodation for the nut on the outside, so if the AKGs put the nut on the inside, that would suck a big one...

BTW, now that you got solid motor mounts, consider their Stage2 shifter. That's why I want the solid mounts. It's spendy but I get hard just thinking about what it must be like using that shifter! Just imagine, ZERO slop, every bit of movement is directly to the transmission, AND 2.5-3" throws, while putting the shifter closer to the wheel... (but you need solid mounts since the shifter mounts to the trans tunnel, so any movement in the engine could shift your gates)
__________________
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #18
Chris916
2nd Gear Member
 
Chris916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 294
Ya i looked at that shifter but man its pricey, and currently out of the budget. Maybe next year. And i still gotta figure out what tranny im going with. Was gonna pick up a g250 but it seems many have problems with grinding gears so looking at 5 speed zf's now.
Chris916 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #19
BigD
the misanthropist
 
BigD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: a house
Posts: 6,158
Yeah, as far as I'm concerned the ZF is the only way to go. Shifts amazingly, strong, reliable and with E36 bits (shifter/driveshaft), straight swap.
__________________
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #20
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,831
Lots of work Looks like tons of fun thought! Enjoy your build man. Hopefully we can see the final project on May 13th like you mentioned.

By the way, did you go to the first Top Kart get together? I think it was just your bro. Wondering if I met you there?
__________________
HavocSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #21
Chris916
2nd Gear Member
 
Chris916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 294
Thanks man!
Ya we met at the first meet. too bad you couldnt make it to the second one. Was a blast! Will you be coming out to some autoX/Lapping events this year?

BigD: could i do zf tranny with e36 325i driveshaft and stock e30 diff? Would it all bolt up?
Chris916 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:36 AM   #22
BigD
the misanthropist
 
BigD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: a house
Posts: 6,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris916 View Post
BigD: could i do zf tranny with e36 325i driveshaft and stock e30 diff? Would it all bolt up?
Unfortunately no, it's too long (due to the smaller Getrag used by the 325) and I'm pretty sure it uses a smaller guibo. Find a 328/M3 driveshaft with the ZF. EDIT: make sure it's the 4 bolt one. I've never actually seen one, but some cars came with a 6 bolt diff which used a 6 bolt CV joint on the end of the driveshaft. If the driveshaft has 4 bolts on the end, it's the right kind and everything will bolt up like OEM once you put on the center bearing correct for your chassis (make sure you get the right one, early and late E30 bearings don't interchange).
__________________

Last edited by BigD; 02-21-2011 at 11:39 AM.
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #23
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris916 View Post
Thanks man!
Ya we met at the first meet. too bad you couldnt make it to the second one. Was a blast! Will you be coming out to some autoX/Lapping events this year?

BigD: could i do zf tranny with e36 325i driveshaft and stock e30 diff? Would it all bolt up?
Oh ok, nevermind, I remember you now ! ahaha..

I hope to check out some events. It would be fun to just jump into a car and ride shotgun to check it out. I don't have my BMW anymore but hopefully since I'm starting a new Security job that I can make some funds so next year I can pick up another E30 That's my goal but who knows!

Psst* 2005 Lotus Exige = 28k
I would really love to have my dream car!
__________________
HavocSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #24
Chris916
2nd Gear Member
 
Chris916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Unfortunately no, it's too long (due to the smaller Getrag used by the 325) and I'm pretty sure it uses a smaller guibo. Find a 328/M3 driveshaft with the ZF. EDIT: make sure it's the 4 bolt one. I've never actually seen one, but some cars came with a 6 bolt diff which used a 6 bolt CV joint on the end of the driveshaft. If the driveshaft has 4 bolts on the end, it's the right kind and everything will bolt up like OEM once you put on the center bearing correct for your chassis (make sure you get the right one, early and late E30 bearings don't interchange).
Hmm alright. Thanks for the insight. Ill see what i can find. if i can find a zf at a reasonable price ill definitely jump on it. but worse comes to worse ill find a 250 for cheap and hope it holds out.




Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSteve View Post
Oh ok, nevermind, I remember you now ! ahaha..

I hope to check out some events. It would be fun to just jump into a car and ride shotgun to check it out. I don't have my BMW anymore but hopefully since I'm starting a new Security job that I can make some funds so next year I can pick up another E30 That's my goal but who knows!

Psst* 2005 Lotus Exige = 28k
I would really love to have my dream car!
Awesome! For sure come by this year and check it out. the Eurotrash crew would be happy to hook you up with some rides
Chris916 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:00 PM   #25
BigD
the misanthropist
 
BigD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: a house
Posts: 6,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris916 View Post
Hmm alright. Thanks for the insight. Ill see what i can find. if i can find a zf at a reasonable price ill definitely jump on it. but worse comes to worse ill find a 250 for cheap and hope it holds out.
Be aware, they're weak transmissions. It would pop with much over the stock M50 power. Call Euroguy, you should be able to get a trans/DS for very reasonable. The ZF should be dime a dozen. The Getrag was used only on the 325, while the ZF was used on all years of the M3 and 328.

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed your location. I tend to assume members are in the GTA.
__________________
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #26
Chris916
2nd Gear Member
 
Chris916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 294
Yea it would have to be one hell of a deal to drive to toronto to pick up a tranny

Parts I Still Need:
Tranny
Driveshaft
e36 steering rack
e30 ix brake booster
e34 throttle cable

And lots of sheetmetal. spent the weekend cutting holes.
Chris916 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:09 PM   #27
BigD
the misanthropist
 
BigD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: a house
Posts: 6,158
A secret I wish I knew when I got my 95 M3 rack is that the fastest rack is actually the 2.8 z3 rack. There is a lot of misinformation out there but confirmed facts are that the 95 M3 rack is linear, 96+ M3 rack is 3.2 turns but progressive, so it's less sensitive oncenter but accelerates towards lock. The 2.8 z3 is 2.8 turns progressive. So it's best of both worlds, fast and progressive. I do like my 95 m3 rack but they cost too much due to the hype. While for the same reason, the z3 rack is cheaper. So if you can find one, grab it.

For the booster, the same booster came on the e32 735 (pretty sure e34 535 too). On that car it also came with the thick master cylinder that people call the "m5" master. So you get both, except e32 parts are worthless so you can get it for dirt.
__________________

Last edited by BigD; 02-22-2011 at 11:12 PM.
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:30 AM   #28
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~
 
everlast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,847
All this talk about transmissions.. is it related only to M5x motors? What options are there for the M20 motor?
__________________
everlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #29
BigD
the misanthropist
 
BigD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: a house
Posts: 6,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
All this talk about transmissions.. is it related only to M5x motors? What options are there for the M20 motor?
Since the M20 transmission bolts up to the M5x motors, the same must be true in reverse. You'll just have the same problem as with the M5x and M20 Getrag - the transmission will be at a bit of an angle. So you can use anything from the E36 or even the E46 M3 6 speed, just need to make a custom trans brace, and maybe bend your selector rod a bit so the shifter sits straight.
__________________
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #30
North
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 139
Yeah, I don't understand why the G260 from a M20 is being overlooked, its cheap and they seem to be bulletproof from everything I've heard. mounting the transmission is as easy as placing a spacer between one side of where the transmission brace is and the brace mounting point.
__________________
North is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.