Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Would You Recommend driving an E36 M3 in the winter?
Yes I would if I had winter tires. 47 62.67%
No I wouldn't even if I had winter tires. 10 13.33%
Your better off driving a winter beater. 18 24.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #16
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
I personally store my car. Just because as others have said, I have put way too much money and work into the car to see some salt ruin it. The suspension alone is worth $2500 and I'd hate to see that after a winter.

I just like my car enough to know that if it started rusting, I'd probably hate it lol. I like to have everything perfect, so to keep it that way, I can't winter the car

And on another note, I cannot stand working on a rusty car! No seized bolts or stripping to deal with!

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #17
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Rated View Post
Hey Blocked out take it easy. When I say it could be a collectible I don't mean in the literal sense like a 1929 Rolls Royce or something. It's up to the owner in their mind as to weather they feel it would be a collectible. That's what I meant by that. I'm not on a high horse at all. I know my car is old but that doesn't mean I shouldn't try to make it last for as long as I can. Side note my car is not a Canadian car and where I got it from they don't have snow and the individual I bought it from which was the only owner has never driven the car in snow since they owned it as it's never seen Canadian soil and where they live it doesn't snow at all.
Unfortantly the shear number of e36 m3's when compaired to the say e30 m3's negate much chance of true collector status, or cult following. The e36 was a whole new car which introduced BMW to the modern styling which lives on today, it's new look was soooo sucsesful and the lineup of all e36's produced stagering production numbers, only special editions produced in small numbers can be concidered future collector cars. Enjoy your car and store it as you please, but why negate the joy of missing it when you need the comfort and handling of the car the most.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #18
BSL
2nd Gear Member

There is more than one reason I store a special (to me) car for the winter....

1) Keep the rust, wear, and assclowns away from it.
2) Keep the miles down.
3) Gives me a chance to aquire parts, research mods and plan repairs I may want to do.
4) Gives me a chance to drive something different.
5) I usually make money on a winter beater, (pays for motorcycle insurance).

6) I feel like a kid at Christmas when I can finally pull it out and cruise around again!!

A stored car doesn't have to be a collectors car, just something to cherish and look forward to in the spring.....
I feel bad for you guys that can't afford it, or dont have the space. You don't know what your missing.

Last edited by BSL; 12-12-2010 at 08:56 PM.
BSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #19
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

^^Too funny, I feel sorry for those that feel they have to store it to keep it nice. There are two basic types of car owners: those that take care of their car and those that don't. Whether you drive it through the winter or not, if you're the type of person that takes care of your car then it will always be nice. I don't believe in storing cars (ask any of my friends, one of my goals in life is to purchase a Ferrari and DD it throught the winters as well and put 1,000,000 km on it) I'm a driver, and enjoy the feel and performance of my car year round. A winter beater will not perform like your pride and joy, so you're paying extra to own a second car and not enjoy your pride year long, limiting yourself to just the 7 or 8 good weather months. Not for me. Sorry. But if you're the type of person to take care of your car as I am, if something breaks, I fix it asap, I wash my car 1-2 times/week through the winter months, I wax, and do everything I can to make sure it's in good shape. I get offers on it at least once a month, at lights, gas stations, etc... because of the shape its in..............Winter driven and all, with 313000km and counting at a rate of about 1200km/week.

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #20
STALKER
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to STALKER
I drive mine all year round. Great winter car.
I would miss driving it too much.

2008 AW/FR E90 M3
//RAC RG63//Volk TE37//AP Racing BBK//Akrapovic Exhaust//Dinan SW//Dinan Intake//JRZ RS1 Coilovers//Dinan Monoball Control Arm Bearings//VRS Diffuser//
STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #21
sparkybp
Tortures BMWs.

Negative camber

The e36 m3 sport package has a dramatic amount of camber on the rear. I've got a complete suspension setup from an m3 on my e36 and it has been aligned as per the m3 specs with about 2.5 degrees of negative camber on the rear. Depending on road conditions(icy) it feels like it looses grip left and right for a brief second as I'm driving. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is due to the excessive amount of camber. I never felt this at all last winter on non-m stock 15's with winters.
sparkybp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #22
BSL
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkybp View Post
The e36 m3 sport package has a dramatic amount of camber on the rear. I've got a complete suspension setup from an m3 on my e36 and it has been aligned as per the m3 specs with about 2.5 degrees of negative camber on the rear. Depending on road conditions(icy) it feels like it looses grip left and right for a brief second as I'm driving. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is due to the excessive amount of camber. I never felt this at all last winter on non-m stock 15's with winters.
Probably due to an excessive amount of tire tread on the snow...
skinny tires in winter FTW!
BSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #23
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

^^Yup, skinny tires for the winter, the skinniest possible!^^

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #24
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

dble trouble thats great you dont want to store your car. i guess if i had a junky e30 id feel the same way :p

others want to store their car and they arent stupid for doing so. your junk heap ferrari wont make it through the winter either. it will put you in the poor house with maintenance costs though

At the end of the day do what you want to do and dont worry about what others are doing.
The m3 will be fine with winter rubber but if you can afford to have another car and want to keep your pride and joys mileage down and as rust free as possible. store it. no big deal.
Clean low mileage m3's will always fetch a bit more money than the rest of the line up. (obvious statement)
Old 12-12-2010, 10:04 PM   #25
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

I drive my mcoupe through winter with winters on.
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #26
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
dble trouble thats great you dont want to store your car. i guess if i had a junky e30 id feel the same way :p

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:05 AM   #27
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

I don't get the whole keep the milage low thing. It really means nothing, rubber rots and metal rusts over time regardless of milage

maintance and good fluids is key in presurving a vehicle.

I have nothing wrong with storing a car, I stored my e30 last winter, and drove one of my e36's (stripped interior was to cold brrrr).

I think as long as you are enjoying what u drive do what ever you want, there is no right or wrong on this one
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:16 AM   #28
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
imo, if it's at stock height with winter tires, go for it. i drive mine with winters and its lowered....i do hear the snow and ice rubbing on the under body sometimes though. makes me want to get a cayenne.

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:34 AM   #29
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
^
^ I LoL'ed.
|
|
|