Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Would You Recommend driving an E36 M3 in the winter?
Yes I would if I had winter tires. 47 62.67%
No I wouldn't even if I had winter tires. 10 13.33%
Your better off driving a winter beater. 18 24.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
BMW Rated
Knowledge is power!

Question Winter M3

Hi Guys/Girls,

What are your thoughts on driving an E36 M3 in the Winter? Would you and have you? Let me know your thoughts and recommendations please.
BMW Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

I do not, nor have I owned an M3, but I would absolutely drive it through the winter. Why not? After all, it is just another car.......Not disrespecting your ride. It is a great winter car with snows, and it's not a Ferrari. I really don't "get" the whole storing cars that are not collectables.....

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
BMW Rated
Knowledge is power!

This is true it's no Ferrari but possibly borderline to being a collectors car there are not to many around in decent shape. My concern is the salt getting to it and then from there you know it can become a rust problem regardless of what precautions you take.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

A car that is depreciating in value every year and soon will be worth less than 10gs is not worth storing in my opinion.

Cars are meant to be driven, I drive mine.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
BMW Rated
Knowledge is power!

What year is your M3 and have you had any issues regarding rust?
Old 12-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

'97, my trunk lid had some rust. But I bought a clean one from a Florida car that is the same color. Need to swap it on in the spring. Other than that it gets rust sprayed every year.

Others have seen how clean my car is, and tell me i shouldnt be driving it in the winter. I bought it with only 150k currently had 174k.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
BMW Rated
Knowledge is power!

What kind of rustproofing do you do oil or....? I know there is so much out there. Do you have any mods? The reason I ask is because I have coil overs and I hear that the salt can ruin the threads and etc. Is your car lowered or all factory?
Old 12-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
Blocked_Out
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Rated View Post
This is true it's no Ferrari but possibly borderline to being a collectors car there are not to many around in decent shape. My concern is the salt getting to it and then from there you know it can become a rust problem regardless of what precautions you take.
SO you think in the life of your 13-15 year old car its never been driven in the snow? lol

Unless you are the first owner from day one and you never drive it in the snow/salt OR you care about your car more then you should, it would rust.

But your car is old, and already rusted, you just cant see it because it hasnt broken out yet.

Collector car? LOL

Even a Euro E36 M3 with low mileage and mint shape is NOT considered a collectors car, but rather just a "Nice Car".

Get off your high horse and start enjoying your car. I live in GTA and when I buy cars, I KNOW that they will be rust buckets in time no matter what, so I just stopped carrying.

Its a car, 1.5 tonnes of Steel, not a Portrait of Dr. Gachet by Vincent van Gogh.
Blocked_Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
golf_hero
2nd Gear Member

I drive my 09 M6 in the snow and before that a 2004 M3. I don't get storing for the winter (unless a collectible or something that drives terrible in winter). To each their own, but my thinking is if I am going to spend so much money on a car I want to enjoy it year round... With some good winters the M3 and now the M6 are great in the snow. Had sme snowy days already and a few people have looked at me like I/m crazy, but storing for 4-5 months will cost me more in depreciation than a new winter car anyway so I just drive it and enjoy it...
golf_hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #10
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_hero View Post
I drive my 09 M6 in the snow and before that a 2004 M3. I don't get storing for the winter (unless a collectible or something that drives terrible in winter). To each their own, but my thinking is if I am going to spend so much money on a car I want to enjoy it year round... With some good winters the M3 and now the M6 are great in the snow. Had sme snowy days already and a few people have looked at me like I/m crazy, but storing for 4-5 months will cost me more in depreciation than a new winter car anyway so I just drive it and enjoy it...
^Well said^

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #11
BMW Rated
Knowledge is power!

Hey Blocked out take it easy. When I say it could be a collectible I don't mean in the literal sense like a 1929 Rolls Royce or something. It's up to the owner in their mind as to weather they feel it would be a collectible. That's what I meant by that. I'm not on a high horse at all. I know my car is old but that doesn't mean I shouldn't try to make it last for as long as I can. Side note my car is not a Canadian car and where I got it from they don't have snow and the individual I bought it from which was the only owner has never driven the car in snow since they owned it as it's never seen Canadian soil and where they live it doesn't snow at all.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #12
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
I would say it needs to be taken away from you.

(if it's currently rust-free)

Maybe I'm just a perfectionist and a materialist, but I can't stand having an object I know could be more perfect. This is why my rusting car (now winter-driving it) is dead to me.

As for technically, yes you easily CAN if you wanted to, since it is a well balanced car made for all purposes.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:12 PM   #13
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

winter tires on any bmw and you are good to go.
storing for winter is up to the owner. i would do it to keep miles down(if i could swing it) ...not so much to preserve value or something like that.

as for rust proofing. a good oil treatment(krown/regs) is decent. it wont prevent rust on an old car but can slow down the progress.

if you have a rust free southern US car.... I would still do the rust spray and I think its worth not driving it in winter. who cares what others think?

Last edited by SiR; 12-12-2010 at 03:18 PM.
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:21 PM   #14
BMRSPORT
PelonsM

Well said Dr. Fly view... In my opinion i may not drive no Ferrari or anything near that price range, but the amount of work and time to make sure everythings just right and in working order that i put in my bmw doesnt allow me to treat it like its just a "piece of metal" there definitely well made cars and im sure they''ll get you through the winter like nothing but knowing i can help preserve one of my pride and joys in mint shape i think is priceless! especially when you can go into your garage in the summer take the car cover off and get mezmerized by the unique not winter driven shine your car gives off... it may be no collectible but im sure it'll break a few necks this upcoming summer =) ... That being said, if your situation absolutely requires you to drive it then by all means it must be done i guess nothing against desperate measures lol .... just my 2 cents!

Last edited by BMRSPORT; 12-12-2010 at 06:19 PM.
BMRSPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #15
Singe
BGDorcol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRSPORT View Post
Well said Dr. Fly view... In my opinion i may not drive no Ferrari or anything near that price range, but the amount of work and time to make sure everythings just right and in working order that i put in my bmw doesnt allow me to treat it like its just a "piece of metal" there definitely well made cars and im sure they''ll get you through the winter like nothing but knowing i can help preserve one of my pride and joys in mint shape i think is priceless! especially when you can go into your garage in the summer take the car cover off and get mezmerized by the unique not winter driven shine your car gives off... it may be no collectible but im sure it'll break a few necks this upcoming summer =) ... That being said, if your situation absolutely requires you to drive it then by all means it must be done i guess nothing against desperate measures lol .... just my 2 cents!
Very well said...its not that just another car, but the car that you take very good care of and enjoy. I have my E36 for 4 yrs, bought it with 130km and now has 160km. Its mint and the feeling that i have in spring when i take it out and that it didn't have to go through this winter is something else...Get it oil sprayed and wash it ever week or so and you should be ok....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: