Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-07-2010, 01:38 AM   #1
devenra
1st Gear Newbie

windshield Stone Chip

Hi guys,

this is my first thread so bare with me. My name is Deven and I am a BMW loyalist for 7 years. I have a 2008 BMW M3 Cab, white, fox red interior.

I was driving east bound on the 401 between Meadowvale and Port Union (Beware of this area) when I hit a patch of 'Grooved Pavement'. A driver in front of me cut me off and kicked up hundreds of stones which damaged my car. I need advice as to what to do.

Firstly, my main concern is that I have two major stone chips on my windshield. They are about the size of a pea and it has not penetrated the windshield as in, it has not caused a deformation in the surface of the inside of the windshield. However, the outside of the windshield has a bit of surface removed at the point of contact. They have not cracked and there is no sign of one starting but that can change as the temperature is dropping rapidly. Where can I get this repaired? I have heard of places or professionals who can conceal these deformations. Can anyone recommend where to go or who is the best at repairing windshield stone chips. I am not looking for a quick Canadian Tire parking lot patch up job.

Secondly, I have a number of stone chips on the hood, hoodscoop and front bumper. What is the best way to conceal these chips? Some of the chips went deep to the point where it removed a layer of paint, while some of them are not as bad. I don't want to repaint the hood or bumper but i would like some insight as how one would 'touch it up'.

Any help would be great.

Kindest regards fellow bimmer enthusiasts.

Deven

Last edited by devenra; 11-07-2010 at 01:41 AM.
devenra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:15 AM   #2
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

As for the chips, go to the dealer and grab the touch up paint.

Get a toothpick and start filling up those chips little by little. just one pin point touch up using toothpick, when it is dry, do it one more time and one more time until u see the little bit of bulge of dried paint.

then either take it to a pro detailer to wet sand down those paint bulge to level the surface and polish to bring back the shine and remove the scratches from sanding.

or just do all by yourself. It isnt hard, just take little bit of practice and patients.
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
e36rok
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower1226 View Post
As for the chips, go to the dealer and grab the touch up paint.

Get a toothpick and start filling up those chips little by little. just one pin point touch up using toothpick, when it is dry, do it one more time and one more time until u see the little bit of bulge of dried paint.

then either take it to a pro detailer to wet sand down those paint bulge to level the surface and polish to bring back the shine and remove the scratches from sanding.

or just do all by yourself. It isnt hard, just take little bit of practice and patients.
How many patients are needed?

To the OP, if you can do it yourself, then what he said. You can't avoid stone chips if it's a daily driver. You could have the front bumper/hood/mirrors vinyl wrapped the same colour but then you're dealing with idiots cutting up your paint with razorblades and other problems like paint fading in the future.

Take good care of the car and be cautious, don't drive behind transport trucks, leave a good 100m of space between cars if you're driving through a construction site, etc. If you want it to be perfect you will have to respray it at some point, even garage queens get stone chips sometimes.
e36rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
devenra
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks guys, i really appreciate the advice. I'm gonna do some b4 and after pics.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:22 AM   #5
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36rok View Post
How many patients are needed?
lol I just noticed it too.
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #6
devenra
1st Gear Newbie

So i called "Doctor Windshield". They came to my house, same day. And they did an amazing job on the windwhield stone chips. They are really expensive but if u love your bimmer, u will pay with ease knowing your car is taken care of.

As for the paint chips i havn't decided what to do as yet. Thanks for all the great responses guys.

Deven

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: