Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-16-2001, 08:16 PM   #1
Lil'Smoothie

Turbo for an E30 325i

I'm going to be buying myself an E30 325i in the next few weeks and I have to compete with my buddy and his 2nd generation, 10th anniversary Turbo II RX-7, so other than a few minor mods....performance exhaust system, air intake, DINAN chip, I need something to keep up with him. So i was wondering about fitting a turbo off of an old 524TD onto the 325i. My dad is a mechanic and he could do all the work, but I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas or insight as to whether this would work or if anyone know's anyone who has done this. I know once I have the turbo I can do alot of other sfutt to really go fast like a boost controller and blow off valve and things along those lines.
Old 12-16-2001, 08:20 PM   #2
Bliss
Administrator

Turbo always works nice I would rather save up more and get a supercharger though since the maintenance on a turbo is much greater.

For maXbimmer decals, please email info@maxbimmer.com
Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 08:29 PM   #3
Lil'Smoothie

ahha yeah I wouldn't mind doing a swap like randy but im only 16 and I don't have that kind of cash flow plus insurance would be thru the roof, im looking todo something relatively cheap
Old 12-16-2001, 08:41 PM   #4
Lil'Smoothie

Well thanks for the input.

My dad likes the rims but wants 17's becasue he already has 16' Racing Dynamics, as for the springs I believe he is but he has to sell our Formula Four race car first
Old 12-17-2001, 02:02 PM   #5
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

A 524 turbo setup is a good idea... you might have to research a lot on the actual unit because most BimmerFreaks that have used it actually chucked the turbo unit (only produces boost 'till 3500rpm) and used the valuable manifold that bolts right up to the block.

Which leads to next thing..... how do you plan on getting this setup? Do you have any idea how much of a demand there is for that manifold. I've heard people actually track down 524td owners and steal the entire car for that manifold, so if you think about logging onto Ebay and buying one.... you're in for a treat!

You're best bet is flip the stock cast iron manifolds upside-down and bolt a T3 turbo to that. An adapter plate must be made to match the ports. My friend Stef did that on his '90 325is and is pushing 15psi and 343HP to the wheels on the dyno. Your biggest problem then is head gaskets. Stef's been searching for literally a year for something that'll take the boost. I'll put up a pic later if I find it.

Either way you're still looking at spending $5000.00+ any way you go.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 06:11 PM   #6
Lil'Smoothie

Wow thanks alot randy, there actually was a turbo on ebay, thats where I got the idea, I wish I bought that now
Old 12-17-2001, 06:19 PM   #7
Lil'Smoothie

My dad is an airline employee so i travell alot, and im from scotland so im gonna fly over to england/scotland soon and goto some scrappie's and try and gather some parts, wow 343HP, I'm pretty sure thats enuff to run laps around the RX-7 lol
Old 12-17-2001, 07:13 PM   #8
Lil'Smoothie

Is this a start?

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1678461571

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: