Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: How would you rate BMW customer service on a scale: 1 is awful and 10 is fantastic
1 to 2 2 6.45%
3 to 4 7 22.58%
5 to 6 4 12.90%
7 to 8 3 9.68%
9 to 10 15 48.39%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
pissedcustom
1st Gear Newbie

Smile Finally Fixed ANNOYING NOISE in my BMW

I had to resort to contacting the President of BMW to finally fix the annoying noise at the back of my BMW. This was after taking my car to the BMW dealership four times over a two-year period to try fix the noise - which they never did.

I am convinced that this noise in the back of car is widespread among BMW 3-series cars (E90). I have now heard it in four different 3-series BMWs and I was told by a BMW representative that they have had other people complain about the same issue. I have a formal BMW Field Report with pictures explaining what was causing this noise and how technicians should fix it.

Ever since taking possession of my 2009 328i BMW (E90) there has been an annoying intermittent clicking or ticking noise that seemed to be coming from the rear window area, near the top of the seat, or where the rear window meets the rear parcel shelf. I finally complained to the CEO of BMW in Germany, Norbert Reithofer, BMW Canada President Franz Jung, and BMW Canada Director of Aftersales, Stephan Kuester. BMW head office assigned an expert technician who identified the problem and fixed it.

It was necessary to get BMW head office involved since their dealer service was a nightmare - apparently incompetent, rude, patronizing and they didn't seem to care less about putting the time and effort into resolving the problem. Their typical M.O. was to claim they couldn't hear the noise, even though on a couple occasions I was in the car with them when they heard the noise. This seems to be the Modus Operandi at BMW when they cannot or do not want to resolve a noise - just deny hearing it. On two occasion when I went to pick up my car they said they didn't have time to have a proper look at it because they had too many cars to service and they ran out of time...even though I had scheduled a service 2 weeks in advance.

I was so furious at one point that I called the owner of the BMW dealership to discuss it with him. He sort of chuckled when I told him about the extremely poor service and rude BMW service representatives and manager. He said that noises are incredibly difficult to resolve and it was a waste of time to try more than once. He never apologized and his manager actually said that if I am not satisfied I should probably get my car serviced elsewhere. Unbelievable.

If you have the same problem please let me know.
You can download the BMW Field Report at this link: http://complaint.pro/bLaCBB
pissedcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

It's sad that you had to go all the way to the top to get satisfaction but I congratulate you in getting BMW to recognize what needs to be done to get the issue corrected even though you could have done it yourself. I know you would say it's a matter of principle but hopefully this gets reported to all of the other service centres. The report says BMW Toronto - was that where you had the unsatisfactory issues? Isn't that their flagship corporate store?

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
pissedcustom
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks. It's ridiculous that I had to go all the way to the President.
Yes it was BMW Toronto. I don't think it's a corporate owned store. The owner has a couple other dealerships.

I don't think I could have repaired it myself - I'm not that mechanically inclined. Plus for a luxury car under 2 years old I shouldn't be expected to touch anything myself. The car should pretty much drive itself.

I have a feeling that BMW is going to try and sweep this one under the rug. I really think it affects a lot of 3-series.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pissedcustom View Post
The car should pretty much drive itself.
You lost me as soon as i read this line,.....

Enjoy your latte at the local starbucks and whine to your friends.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

you get that kind of garbage anywhere you go really...no matter the make.

fortunately for many they dont have to experience that bs first hand...but dont kid yourself and think its a bmw only issue. (shitty service)
Old 09-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #6
pissedcustom
1st Gear Newbie

SiR - very true - seems that customer service is going by the wayside at BMW. You would think it would be something they focus on during a downturn in the economy to make sure their customers are happy and come back when they have more money (i.e. when they start buying their lattes at Starbucks again)
Old 09-01-2010, 11:37 PM   #7
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

WOW! That is amazing! Kudos to the technician. I can only imagine the tear down to find the source of the noise. creaks and groans are by far the biggest nightmare for any mechanic. how do they even claim the hours hunting for the source of the noise. and they may create other issues when taking things apart.

too bad it had to go to the very top.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #8
Dissembler
4th Gear Member

its good that you got the issue resolved, but the service you recieved does sound abysmal, a service advisors job is to smooth situations like this over, not brush you away.

However, as a technician, I must tell you that it can be unreasonable to expect us to try time and again to find a squeak, especially intermittant ones. There is no way of getting paid to find squeaks and rattles, warranty simply does not recognize them as a payable repair. Sometimes it can take upwards of 30 hours (ask me how I know) to find particularily well hidden noises/electrical gremlins. How would you feel if you had spend a whole week working for free? There is a lot stuff in modern cars, and sometimes they only make noises in certain combinations, on certain roads and at certain temps. Sound like fun yet?

Sometimes the only people who can solve your problems are the people who designed the car in the first place.

Last edited by Dissembler; 09-01-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Dissembler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:54 AM   #9
davericher20
black and blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
I'm sure lines like this gives max a bad name.

This guy just FOUGHT his way to the top and WON and you want to insult him?
I hope you probably took his statement out of context.
What he meant was that a brand new car should not have any issues....and if your $50,000 vehicle has any problem whatsoever, it should be fixed immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:03 AM   #10
PinkieMoscow
Jumped up G'd up.

pissedcustom, do you work for Audi? All of your posts are identical.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:29 AM   #11
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Quote:
Originally Posted by pissedcustom View Post
SiR - very true - seems that customer service is going by the wayside at BMW. You would think it would be something they focus on during a downturn in the economy to make sure their customers are happy and come back when they have more money (i.e. when they start buying their lattes at Starbucks again)
I totally agree but it totally seems like its going the other direction. almost seems worse than ever.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:31 AM   #12
abc12
4th Gear Member

so what was the exact cause of the noise and how did they fix it? which dealer in the end was it that took care of the problem?
abc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #13
Dissembler
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davericher20 View Post
....and if your $50,000 vehicle has any problem whatsoever, it should be fixed immediately.
I don't care if your car is $500, $50 000 or $500 000, cars are all pretty much the same. They all work the exact same way, and they are all subject to the same bullshit. Things break, and sometimes problems cannot be fixed immediately. Often times, you'll fix one problem, and 3 days later another problem will creep up. Its not always a misdiagnosis or a screw up.

Don't forget either, you may have paid 50k for your car, but so did the 100 other customers who happen to go the dealer that day.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #14
EstorilM3
3rd Gear Member

"...I had to resort to contacting the President of BMW to finally fix the annoying noise at the back of my BMW..."

good that you stuck with it 'til the issue was resolved.
from what i can tell, it was a case of two hard plastic pieces rubbing against each other; nothing that a "gasket" or a shim couldn't fix.

the fact that you got sub-standard attitude from BMW Toronto doesn't surprise me. I stopped going there about 6-7 years ago.
EstorilM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #15
EstorilM3
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
You lost me as soon as i read this line,.....

You have issues?
EstorilM3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
328, click, customer service, e90, noise in rear

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: