Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-29-2010, 08:24 PM   #61
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
How did you get the discount? I sent you a PM regarding your SSK last week, haven't heard anything back. Looking for a detailed parts list of what's included and for what cost so that I know what I need to buy to complete my 5spd swap.

Sorry got a few messages about the shifter thought I responded to all of them, I'm hoping to get more in soon, the last 10 I got went in a week, usually they last about a month

I have no idea how I got the discount, they just applied it on the bill, and it matches the CC billing, I'm just happy I got it!!

It was everything in the pick above (minus the control arm plates, I'm looking into adjustable solid ones down the road) and the 6 peice SS brake line kit.

I also bought powerflex street poly sub frame bushings from VAC motorsports who ship through USPS so no duties. They came in at $180 shipped for all 4 bushings!!
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:09 AM   #62
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Well made some good progress this week end, but I will contest, welding overhead, laying on your back, with a flux core mig is a BITCH!!!! Stupid gravity and good old flux core splater!!! Welds are good, pretty they are not!!

So what I got done was remove the gas tank, and drive shaft, the last 2 peices I needed to remove.

Removed the subframe bushings, welded in the rear sway bar reinforcements, gave it a good hit with the wire wheel and installed the poly bushings. Could be the prettiest part on the car, and wish I had the time to do the same on the rest of the rear end.

Got 3 of the plates welded in, which was a PITA!! Was twisted in some awark positions laying on the floor to get the welding done. I wasn't worried about how pretty they were as much as getting good penetration and making them solid. One more plate to go and it's time to start putting it all back together.

Deadline to get things done is the 16th, all goes well test day will be the autocross on oct 17th!!!

I'll post some pics tonight afterwork
Old 10-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #63
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
Sorry got a few messages about the shifter thought I responded to all of them, I'm hoping to get more in soon, the last 10 I got went in a week, usually they last about a month
Can you at least tell me what's included with it? This is the main thing I want to know, not when you'll have them.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #64
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
Can you at least tell me what's included with it? This is the main thing I want to know, not when you'll have them.
Shifter rod, bushing for selector rod plate and bushings for bottom of rod to conect to the linkage.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #65
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

picks of work so far, again, flux core welder + welding on back under car...messy welds!!!!

you will notice there is now 3 solid mounts again. Last one will be done thursday morning...paint, undercoating and atart reasembling!!!

sub frames looks sooooo much better LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01125.JPG (277.2 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01126.JPG (256.2 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01127.JPG (265.2 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01128.JPG (291.5 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01129.JPG (304.3 KB, 221 views)
Old 10-05-2010, 10:37 PM   #66
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

nice your welds arent that bad, are you going to grind it down a bit?
e36 328is - (m52)AA S/c'd, M50 Mani, 3.23 LSD, M3 Brakes, Zimmer rotors, hps pads, Racing Dynamic Strut Bar, Depos, m3 Bumper, Intake, Spal fan, poly RTABs, Eibach Swaybars, Koni yellow, Mishimoto Rad, Silicone hose, Alumi T-housing, Depo w/LED Angels, LED tails, 12' Alpine Type R, Suede head liner, LTW Low rise spoiler
PREVIOUS CARS
92' 325is (m52) - M3 conversion AA S/c'd
'97 Euro Estroil E36 M3 Vert (S50B32)
iverson03tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:10 AM   #67
3x Beemer
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iverson03tj View Post
nice your welds arent that bad, are you going to grind it down a bit?
LOL I guess you have never seen a weld in your life. No offence to richie but wow..must have been a cheap machine...my advice is suit up, protect your neck and arms and just go for it..get at least 1 inch beads going.(do not want to start a fight over this statement, just stating the truth) project is coming along nicely

subframe bushings look great, definately a project for me this winter. I've heard good things about the urethane subframe/stock diff mount combo...
what are you doing with the diff?

Last edited by 3x Beemer; 10-06-2010 at 12:25 AM.
3x Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:20 AM   #68
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3x Beemer View Post
LOL I guess you have never seen a weld in your life. No offence to richie but wow..must have been a cheap machine...my advice is suit up, protect your neck and arms and just go for it..get at least 1 inch beads going.(do not want to start a fight over this statement, just stating the truth) project is coming along nicely

subframe bushings look great, definately a project for me this winter. I've heard good things about the urethane subframe/stock diff mount combo...
what are you doing with the diff?
Keeping the diff mounts stock right now, but will upgrade to full poly this spring. Right now it's just the subframe bushings. (diff is an LSD )
Old 10-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #69
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

GOT WORK DONE!!!!!

yesturday was a good day!!

Finished welding in the last reinforcment plate, and the top of the two mounts which broke.

Dissasembler stopped by and helped fab up the new rear brake line, his bubble flair tool is wicked and he had the lines made in no time. SS rear lines are in too.

Rear suspension and subframe are mounted in the car, including the rear shock tower reinforncements that came in the kit.

all thats left is the gas tank, drive shaft, diff, muffler, change the front brake lines, bleed the brakes, put the whole rear interior in and weld the sheet metal from the floor that had to be opened up to put the subframe mounts back in....just a bit of work left..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01131.JPG (256.1 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01132.JPG (300.3 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01133.JPG (321.5 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01134.JPG (287.7 KB, 186 views)
Old 10-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #70
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Well cars all back together, wow what a difference, no twisting or funny feelings while cornering and the brakes feel much better with the SS lines and dot 4 synthetic fluid.

Really looking forward to this weekends autocross to see what it can do

I have one more issue to take car of that is very apperant now that everything else was done, and thought of doing it while I had it apart, the diff bushings. Under a hard down shift into 2nd or 1st it's got a clank, and that's a hard downshift to get it to do it. The diff is pretty easy to drop out so looking at a solid set of bushings for the diff.

Also tossed on a new exhaust, magna flow 2 in 2 out, stainless muffler with Remus tips, it's about half the physical size of the oem unit, and at least half the weight.

Pics to follow.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #71
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

Congrats, i got a request, do you think that on your first page you can write out all the parts that you put into the car
e36 328is - (m52)AA S/c'd, M50 Mani, 3.23 LSD, M3 Brakes, Zimmer rotors, hps pads, Racing Dynamic Strut Bar, Depos, m3 Bumper, Intake, Spal fan, poly RTABs, Eibach Swaybars, Koni yellow, Mishimoto Rad, Silicone hose, Alumi T-housing, Depo w/LED Angels, LED tails, 12' Alpine Type R, Suede head liner, LTW Low rise spoiler
PREVIOUS CARS
92' 325is (m52) - M3 conversion AA S/c'd
'97 Euro Estroil E36 M3 Vert (S50B32)
iverson03tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:24 PM   #72
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iverson03tj View Post
Congrats, i got a request, do you think that on your first page you can write out all the parts that you put into the car
You can't redo posts in a thread so it's not possible to change the list at the first page.

It's a build thread to record time and progress of the work done.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #73
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
You can't redo posts in a thread so it's not possible to change the list at the first page.

It's a build thread to record time and progress of the work done.
Rich, you weld like you got parkinsons...LOL. honestly not bad for a do it yourselfer.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #74
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Welding was done with a 90amp fluxcore high or low only welder while laying on my back upsidedown working over head with about an inch of space to spare.

It's a plate under the car, the welds have good penetration

Now if I had a wire feed gas mig, and a hoist they would look prettier but the strength would be the same.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #75
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

well its been a while since I last updated this build thread....

since we last left off the car now has had the following work done to it...

-solid diff mounts
-full M3 suspension with rear billies
-kosei K1 rims
-falken 615 tires

with that being said, the car will be coming off of daily driving duties as we have purchaced a 2011 dodge ram sport for my daily/tow vehicle and picking up a 2007 caddy for the wife as a daily later this week.

this is perfect timing as, the front subframe has cracked, causing all sorts of nasty noises and handling traits.

first order of bussiness it to finish stripping out the parts car in my garage, use its front subframe and weld in the reinforcment plates I got with the turner kit, also looking into poly motor and tranny mounts, new front control arms and poly fcab.

the car is now offically my weekend toy/track rat and very much looking forward to building a barely legal car thats all about handling, braking, accelerating, and little to do with street comfort!! Also going to be much easier to build this car without having to have it back together and rushing so I can get to work!!!!

for current pics of the car check out the Trillium Autocross thread....

Last edited by richie_s999; 08-28-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: