Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Smoothops
1st Gear Newbie

318i mirrors not working HELP!

Just bought this 318 convertible, automatic tranny. There are some issues with it. The door power mirrors don't work, but there is 12V current to the switch that goes on the door card. This was a Quebec vehicle, without front plate and I need to attach a front plate holder. Peering through the front end, I noticed what looks like a sensor hanging loose on its wire, which ends with a yellow connector. It is hanging by the left bumper shock and it looks like a 2 inch pin. The car's engine has a lot of power, but I noticed some vibration to it, is this normal after 153 thousand clicks?. I just re-glued the door cards with the strongest LePage PL construction adhesive, works good. Thanks for your thoughts on these issues
Smoothops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

First off your pwr mirrors are not working because of corroded door pins. when you open the door you will see a accordion type rubber boot going from the door to the body. Pull the body side back and you'll expose the pin connector plug. Remove the plug from the housing by pressing the two prongs towards each other and wiggle it back and forth until the male plug releases from the female housing. inspect the pin connectors for corrosion. You may need to replace either the male or female connector to get the pwr mirrors to work again.
This is quite a common problem.

As for the outside temperature sensor.(yellow) it should plug into either a brake duct which could be missing or the front spoiler. Both have a receptacle for it. it's one or the other. Just plug it back in.

Engine vibration could be a number of things. But history indicate the 1.8 litre motor to be notorious for vacuum leaks. Replace ALL the necessary vacuum hoses. the retest it...if it is still present it could possibly by broken motor mount.

GL

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
Smoothops
1st Gear Newbie

Gotcha!

Thanks for the reply Ceeker, I'll check that connector with the daylight tomorrow, makes a lot of sense. If is not too bad I will spray it with a "spray lubricant" that they sell at the local dollar store. The sizzling stuff sucks as a lubricant, but leaves the contacts on the bare metal, without reacting with the plastic or rubber. Obviously the chinese did not get the formula right, but instead created a sizzling contacts cleaner that works like a charm, maybe it should be re-labeled. I did find the temperature sensor hole, and plugged it right back in. As far as the vacuum leak, I think you hit the nail. The intake boot has duct tape rolled into it, as if they were trying to seal a leak LOL. I'll take it out and unroll the tape, will post results. The starter motor is skipping, as if the solenoid does not push the gear far enough to engage the flywheel. I looked and I'm sure it will be a lot of fun replacing it. If you know an easy way to take it out without removing the intake manifold, I'm all ears
Old 08-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
Ceeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothops View Post
Thanks for the reply Ceeker, I'll check that connector with the daylight tomorrow, makes a lot of sense. If is not too bad I will spray it with a "spray lubricant" that they sell at the local dollar store. The sizzling stuff sucks as a lubricant, but leaves the contacts on the bare metal, without reacting with the plastic or rubber. Obviously the chinese did not get the formula right, but instead created a sizzling contacts cleaner that works like a charm, maybe it should be re-labeled. I did find the temperature sensor hole, and plugged it right back in. As far as the vacuum leak, I think you hit the nail. The intake boot has duct tape rolled into it, as if they were trying to seal a leak LOL. I'll take it out and unroll the tape, will post results. The starter motor is skipping, as if the solenoid does not push the gear far enough to engage the flywheel. I looked and I'm sure it will be a lot of fun replacing it. If you know an easy way to take it out without removing the intake manifold, I'm all ears
My experience has lead to replacing the pin connectors. you can try contact cleaner but if they aren't working good chance they are badly corroded. not uncommon.

2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
1 87 325is red - parts

Old 08-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
Smoothops
1st Gear Newbie

pin connectors

where did you get the replacement pins?
Old 08-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
Ceeker

Quote:
where did you get the replacement pins?
at the time?? which was a good few years ago...dealership use to stock them. but I highly doubt it now. You'll probably need to go in with it and have them match it up on the ETK then order them. You may also want to try some electronic store outlets maybe? Im just guessing.

the other option if you can't get them? I'd find a donor car and cut join and solder the new piece in.

2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
1 87 325is red - parts

Old 08-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
Smoothops
1st Gear Newbie

not the connector

I checked the door wire harness connector, all of the contacts looked fine, no signs of heated contacts or corrosion. I did cleaned them up with a micro-file and then sprayed them with cleaner oil before re-connecting the harness. That made no difference, the mirrors are still kaput. I also checked the fuses at the engine bay, nothing was burned. I'm scratching my head here.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Ceeker

mirror motors simultaneously going bad is like seeing a live unicorn. secondly I have never had a e30 where the actually mirror motors broke.

You didn't pull the rubber boot back from the male end to check the wires for breaks did you??? (Grin) there could be a broken wire inside that accordion tube I mentioned. if it isn't the fuse...my bets are on the wires...

did you check the mirror switch to see if it's connected to the harness plug?? pull the switch out from the door pull..maybe when the door panel was off someone forgot to reconnect it.

2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
1 87 325is red - parts

Last edited by Ceeker; 08-05-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
Smoothops
1st Gear Newbie

connector

I did pull the rubber back and checked the wires, they look fine. The male end is on the body side, the female on the door side of the connector. The pins and receptacles looked clean, except for 4 tiny pins that have their own enclosure within the connector. These had the greenish stains typical of copper oxide. I cleaned both the tiny pins and their female counterparts thoroughly and they looked clean with the contact cleaner. They were too small to scrape with the micro-file I was using. The switch harness was tapeless, as if someone beat me to brainstorming this issue. I taped the wires back together and reconnected the switch. However, I saw that some of the contacts on the switch do have 12 volts. I don't know which wires should have power, but since the switch is the last part of the circuit before the mirrors, that makes it a "part of interest". I bought a switch on Ebay, but I will not have on hand for a while.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #10
Ceeker

Quote:
I did pull the rubber back and checked the wires, they look fine. The male end is on the body side, the female on the door side of the connector. The pins and receptacles looked clean, except for 4 tiny pins that have their own enclosure within the connector. These had the greenish stains typical of copper oxide. I cleaned both the tiny pins and their female counterparts thoroughly and they looked clean with the contact cleaner. They were too small to scrape with the micro-file I was using. The switch harness was tapeless, as if someone beat me to brainstorming this issue. I taped the wires back together and reconnected the switch. However, I saw that some of the contacts on the switch do have 12 volts. I don't know which wires should have power, but since the switch is the last part of the circuit before the mirrors, that makes it a "part of interest". I bought a switch on Ebay, but I will not have on hand for a while.
the other thing you can check to see if the motors are plugged back in. If the mirrors were removed and taken apart they might have forgotten to put the 4 wires back on in the proper color sequence.

There is also a plug harness behind the door tweeter that you should check.

if it's unplugged there you won't have pwr.

2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
1 87 325is red - parts

Old 08-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
Smoothops
1st Gear Newbie

mirrors

I did check the harness and connector behind the tweeter while I was re-gluing the door cards, nothing out of the normality there. Is there another connector inside the mirrors? How do I get to it? I just pulled the intake boot and unrolled the duct tape.... there was a large gash between two of the flex ribs, this boot is finished. do you have one? it is for a 1995 E36 318i with the 1.8 liter engine. One end is round, the other is oval.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #12
Ceeker

sorry don't have a boot.

as for the wiring...? you have to remove the mirror first to get to the screw heads which hold the mirror motor to the mirror body. behind it you'll have wires going into the motor.
mind you I would think e36 is similar if not same as e30 mirrors. the concept is the same that I know.

lastly..you may have to start troubleshooting the wiring. Testing for voltage and continuity.

2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
1 87 325is red - parts

Old 08-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #13
Smoothops
1st Gear Newbie

mirrors coming out

I'll take one of the mirrors out first chance I get, will post results. If that doesn't yield results, the door card will have to come out so I can test every wire in the mirror harness.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:49 AM   #14
Smoothops
1st Gear Newbie

Mirrors have taken a back seat, been occupied replacing shocks and starter (what a PITA)
Old 09-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #15
Ceeker

hahaha..sorry..yeah the starter can be tricky..

2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
1 87 325is red - parts

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: