Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-11-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
SCAM WARNING : related to accident

So I'm sure most of you have read about my accident on Tuesday. Well I have a massive story you want to read.

Bodyshop: Stoney Creek Collision
"Guy": Unnamed for now? (Black BMW X5)

I'm going to leave the doctor out of this. I don't know what the towing company was called.

Here we go:

I get rear ended on Barton st in Hamilton and the police tell us to go to the station and file a report. So the girl drives off and all I can get is the license plate. Then some guy in an X5 pulls up and starts saying he's going to help me out. He calls a tow truck for me and says hes bringing it to the police station for pictures. Then he drives me and my bud there too. We do the police report and the girl showed up too. We get out and he says we're going to a physio guy to get checked out. It was 8:00 and the office closed at 7:30 or something. So we get checked, get some free ice packs and the guy decides he's getting a rental brought to me. This happened, I did paperwork after finding it to look pretty legit. They wanted a credit card number and I said no way. They explained it was for if I got any tickets so I gave them a number that was maxed out so they couldn't do anything anyway.

Now the guy got us appointments for today but me and my bud canceled because we started getting suspicious. Guess who calls a few minutes after we cancel? The GUY. He asks why we canceled and said we have to go again. I bullshitted and said I had too much shit to do. He then went on about how good of a job the shop is going to fix the car blah blah. I finished the conversation and after hanging up wondering...how did this guy even get my number?

Confusing but I'm going to wrap up. Fast forward to today and I have discovered the same car that hit me is at the same shop, and she's booked at the physio place. My car was damaged after the accident so they must of smashed it up to get more money.

Now, I went to the shop today to pick the car up and the owner wouldn't back down when i told him it was coming home with me and going to another shop. So he says "Okay fine, i'll get your bill ready". I was confused and asked why. They want to charge me $1200 for tow and storage for two days. While it was sitting at the side of the shop...and the tow was probably 15 km.

So the insurance company knows all of this and is moving in tomorrow morning to take the car back. I don't know whats going to happen with the money though. It's bullshit.

So call me stupid for trusting the guy but keep in mind. I'm 20, first accident. I was in shock that my pride and joy was ruined and took anything I could get. I'm glad I caught on now atleast.

The police know who he is. He's actually banned from the station and they don't have enough on him to do anything about it.

STAY AWAY FROM (placeholder lol) AND STONEY CREEK COLLISION

I'm not some young guy trying to cause problems, this is serious.

I'll keep updating as I hear information.

Is it okay for me to post names or can I get into some sort of trouble?

In a nutshell, this guy is called a chaser. He tracks or plans crashes, takes advantage of the victims while they're vulnerable and gets to hook all his buddies and family up. The tow truck driver most likely took the car somewhere to beat up while I was in the physio place. I took the rental back, canceled the physio so now all I have left is to get the car back.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread

Last edited by doogee; 06-11-2009 at 09:23 PM.
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
Sucks bro but you live and learn.. I did dumb mistakes when I was 18-19 too. I would cut up that credit card asap if I were you. And make sure you don't pay them a cent.

Tell your insurance company to deal with it until you get an appraisal, which will most likely be totaled

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform
BMW_7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

From reading your sory I would asume the guy is a accident chaser. He brings cars to the collision place and gets a bonus. It was a big thing about 20 years ago however the police and insurance companies put a stop to it.
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
commodore64
MR. Supercharger

I have had various calls on duty in regards to these persons, they are simply tow truck owners / drivers who chase accidents and try to "set" you up to use there friend / family members body-shop.

They then overcharge the insurance company and do little work on your car....

You can't do anything as you gave permission for him to help you out.

Subscribe to CAA ... If you are "physically" ok after an accident ensure (you have the right) to have a CAA truck tow the vehicle to a destination of your choice. You can even have the damn thing taken home if you want.

Have a body-shop in mind (I know you are young) but learn fast. There are various incredible shops that will help you out ... And there are some that will straight "rob" you.

Good luck ..

PS. pm me his plates ill run a check and see if I can help in anyway
commodore64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
e30bim
Banned

Nice yet another cop abusing CPIC! Even if the person is a crook what you're doing is against the law.
e30bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:59 PM   #6
damameke
6th Gear Member

Doogee

When you posted the 2nd set of pix regarding those big dents on the side, ,I knew that collision place did those damage to your car to bill more money from the insurance.

There are still those bad business practises in collision shop to scam more money from insurance companies.

Whats done is done, let the insurance deal with that shop and dont worry about the tow and storage charges.

We learn very day regardless of age.
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:11 PM   #7
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Thanks for all your info. I'm going to do my best to get these guys busted. Luckily I NEVER signed any paper work for the shop or tow company. The only thing I signed was for the rental car which I read over carefully. They turned out legit, but still behind it.

The insurance company said the shop will most likely copy my signature onto fake work orders and what not if they get their hands on it.

The doctor at the physio place also gave out both of our phone numbers and information to a complete stranger. So we're going to do what we can to nail all of them.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:18 PM   #8
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Oh man. Good thing insurance is on your side and you stuck it out...

I would not be satisfied until the police actually do something about them. Don't let them get away.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Update:

Insurance company has been trying all morning to get the car but everyone from the body shop is missing.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #10
Fel
Not Banned

Damn... that's a messed up situation. I've personally never heard of this, but I'll keep it in mind for the future. Hopefully you and your insurance company gets everything sorted out.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:16 PM   #11
lost
2nd Gear Member

That's BS. I'd be pissed. Hope it gets resolved. While your at it file a complaint with the better business bureau. I'd provide the original pics and the pics from the yard showing the additional damage that isn't apparent in the accident pics to the insurance company also and the police as there's something arye going on.

Nice ride anyways.
lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #12
theblue
old school US member.

Send a message via AIM to theblue
this sucks... they've put a lot of effort into this scam.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #13
doogee
Stance is Gay.

I will go to the BBB.

My mother went down to try to talk to them but refused to give up the car.

The insurance company contacted the police and they're going down with a sheriff on Monday to TAKE the car back.

The insurance company is also busting the first rental agency for asking us to lie to our insurance company. They wanted us to tell them we had the car longer than we did to get more money.

Also, I was smart enough to take pictures of the car everyday this week. I have evidence that the car was damaged while the tow truck had the car. I doubt it's anything major enough to make a case, but we'll see.

Last edited by doogee; 06-12-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:09 PM   #14
Ktt88
2nd Gear Member

sucks man, it's a good experience to learn from though. Hope you get your ride back and everything works out, dirtbags like those deserve everything coming to them eventually.
Ktt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:37 PM   #15
saix
rawr

Send a message via AIM to saix
Wow this is one hell of a story! Normally I hear how insurance companies are trying to screw you over, it's great they are 110% trying to help you out. Hope you get those bastards!
saix is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: