Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #61
TNation
Banned

Don't buy one, maintainence is a bitch on these
they aren't reliable AT ALL, and you'll be paying for it constantly. Just get that Lexus LS430 or something, it's quick, super reliable and looks great. Either that or an M3 (but everyone has one nowadays). Go M5 imo.
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #62
rodo
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendered View Post
If you have a down to earth competent italian exotic car mechanic like Rocco( RMP Motors) (he owns ferrari's and maintains them) then maintenance, and parts cost won't be a major factor.

Ofcourse you have to pay to play with the big boys and their nice toys!

I don't think money is an issue if you're looking at buying a Maserati.
I can't bite my tongue any longer.
It's one thing to walk by the dealer on a random day, walk in, like a car and cut them a cheque, than it is to find a cheap one, see if you can afford it, see how you can save money on the import by cutting corners, etc. IMO if you're trying to penny pinch by not doing the proper DRL conversion, etc. then you can't really afford it. Please don't take it the wrong way, I don't want anyone to get mad and it's just my opinion. But if you're going through all this worry to find a cheap one, and you'll only buy one when the dollar hits par (if it does) which is only 9% away, then you can't afford it, sorry. 9% would represent 5k on the cars you've shown, and you'll only buy if you can save those 5k if the dollar gets even. If 5k is a big deal then this car's out of your league. Sorry if I sound like an ass, I'm just being realistic.

2010 Expedition

Objects in mirror are farther than they appear Only in a BMW

Last edited by rodo; 06-03-2009 at 10:16 PM.
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #63
TNation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodo View Post
It's one thing to walk by the dealer on a random day, walk in, like a car and cut them a cheque, than it is to find a cheap one, see if you can afford it, see how you can save money on the import by cutting corners, etc. IMO if you're trying to penny pinch by not doing the proper DRL conversion, etc. then you can't really afford it. Please don't take it the wrong way, I don't want anyone to get mad and it's just my opinion. But if you're going through all this worry to find a cheap one, and you'll only buy one when the dollar hits par (if it does) which is only 9% away, then you can't afford it, sorry. 9% would represent 5k on the cars you've shown, and you'll only buy if you can save those 5k if the dollar gets even. If 5k is a big deal then this car's out of your league. Sorry if I sound like an ass, I'm just being realistic.
It's Mark, what do you expect?
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #64
rodo
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNation View Post
It's Mark, what do you expect?
I wasn't just referring to him as much as I was to this topic in general

2010 Expedition

Old 06-03-2009, 11:04 PM   #65
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Are you talking about Tal from caliber?

btw,
mark.potter@morries.com

www.maseratiofminneapolis.com

Call that guy, that dealership has sold maz's to canada before. The mods aren't that bad,

good info:

http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3251

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black, ohlins, pazzo, graves

Last edited by propr'one; 06-03-2009 at 11:13 PM.
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #66
rendered
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNation View Post
Don't buy one, maintainence is a bitch on these
they aren't reliable AT ALL, and you'll be paying for it constantly. Just get that Lexus LS430 or something, it's quick, super reliable and looks great. Either that or an M3 (but everyone has one nowadays). Go M5 imo.

You're so full of shit kid I think you should leave in general.

You've never owned a maserati or half decent car in your life, let alone driven one long enough to be able to determine it's reliability!!!

Everything you spew makes me laugh! You simply go on hearsay or what you read on a computer screen!? That's hurting Tyler.
rendered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:33 AM   #67
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

I agree with Rodo on this one, 100%. People say a lot of shit to try to convince others of something when it's not their money at stake, but if you're still living at home I'm gonna assume you don't have THAT much money (unless you sell coke or something) and I'm gonna say you'd be a fool to buy a car like that. Not trying to be a hater at all, but that's a rich man's car. Like others have said, be smart and don't waste $40K (plus all the other money you will INEVITABLY need to dump into it) just to show off. And I can't believe nobody has mentioned insurance. What's that gonna cost? Do you have a (heated) garage in which to store it? This isn't a car you wanna be parking outside all the time.

I know myself that when I'm trying to rationalize a big purchase I tend to ignore or argue with those who try to convince me otherwise, so I know you probably don't wanna hear all this. But there's a lot to think about. Just be honest with yourself. Like Rodo said - if 5k is a big deal for you, despite your best intentions, the car will probably go to shit in your hands. Oil changes at the dealer will be in the hundreds, and brake jobs probably a couple grand. that's your most BASIC maintenance.....And I'm willing to bet that you're not gonna be able to work on it with your Crappy Tire socket set. There's bound to be a bunch of expensive special tools you'll need, etc. etc. etc.......
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:58 AM   #68
rodo
6th Gear Member

Well said Nick, I realized just how much in a league of its own maserati is when I went with my friend to pick up his dad's car from FoO. He was paying for having his summers put on while I looked at a set of titanium wheel bolts for $1,400.

I can't fathom how much a brake job costs at the dealer, it's just over 1k on my dad's e90, so imagine a maserati.

Like I said, if you're trying to nickle and dime by bringing one in and cutting corners then you probably can't afford it. Initial investment is only a portion of ownership costs, but mostly the only one people take into consideration. If you drive it somewhere you can't just park it anywhere so you have to tip the attendant 20 bucks to watch your car, small stuff like that can add up.

Even tires can't be cheap on a car like this. According to tire rack you're looking at around 1,500 for tires.

I understand that you'd love to have one, and 40k seems like a steal for that car, I agree. But there are so many hidden costs that one doesn't see at first, and only come to realize during ownership. You can go and buy an old lear jet for 700k... cheap right? Sure, until you realize it'll cost close to that to run per year.

2010 Expedition

Last edited by rodo; 06-04-2009 at 01:00 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:01 AM   #69
europrince
6th Gear Member

Quote:
You're so right, bro. If one has to get into a public discussion on affordability, and rely on an f/x rate to make a purchase, one cannot afford the car. One should buy a property of one's own, rather than rent or live at one's parents' house, whatever the case is, instead of personally debating the financial viability of an extravagant vehicle purchase. Do the right thing.
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #70
topaz330ci
Bang Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgino View Post
Its a cool car. **** it you only live once.
hahah, thats exactly my mindset. !!!! like mentioned above also, i could find good mec's to work on it for a reasonable price! Im willing to dish out $$ to fix things and maitain/preventitive maintenance! Im willing to so all that! if the oppertunity comes, it will be in my hands sooner then later!
topaz330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:09 AM   #71
topaz330ci
Bang Boom

Quote:
I understand what you mean! Im just picky like that, I could do the DRL's at a ferrari dealer if it comes down to it, but im smarter then that! 5k difference isn't that much, but id rather save that 5k and invest in some serious serious wheels! Thats the way i look at it. Im not the typ eof guy that would dump all my money in a car!! thats the worst mistake! If i buy a car right now at my age (23) i would only feel comfortable owning it if i had double the car value in my pocket, ONLY!
Old 06-04-2009, 09:14 AM   #72
topaz330ci
Bang Boom

Quote:
Well said Nick, I realized just how much in a league of its own maserati is when I went with my friend to pick up his dad's car from FoO. He was paying for having his summers put on while I looked at a set of titanium wheel bolts for $1,400.

I can't fathom how much a brake job costs at the dealer, it's just over 1k on my dad's e90, so imagine a maserati.

Like I said, if you're trying to nickle and dime by bringing one in and cutting corners then you probably can't afford it. Initial investment is only a portion of ownership costs, but mostly the only one people take into consideration. If you drive it somewhere you can't just park it anywhere so you have to tip the attendant 20 bucks to watch your car, small stuff like that can add up.

Even tires can't be cheap on a car like this. According to tire rack you're looking at around 1,500 for tires.

I understand that you'd love to have one, and 40k seems like a steal for that car, I agree. But there are so many hidden costs that one doesn't see at first, and only come to realize during ownership. You can go and buy an old lear jet for 700k... cheap right? Sure, until you realize it'll cost close to that to run per year.
One tire will never cost me that unless their Nitto Invo's or something, but i understand what you guys are talking about! I would do the brake job myself/assistance of a good mec friend also just in case... Things that i can do, i will, things i can't i go to a good mec, thats all. I thought of all the expenses, even insurance would be a lot... it will be on my dad's name, as my car is currently. Things are all worked out boys, i understand thousands are involved, im just thinking of the smartest way of doing it, and i wanted to see opinions! House and other things are a step away, so is the car... When i dip back to romania on vacation, i see maserati's like crazy and then my mind starts going crazy for one hahahahha, when you really put your mind to it, you can achieve anything! But income has to be there! in my case, i think ill manage!
Old 06-04-2009, 09:19 AM   #73
topaz330ci
Bang Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_V View Post
I agree with Rodo on this one, 100%. People say a lot of shit to try to convince others of something when it's not their money at stake, but if you're still living at home I'm gonna assume you don't have THAT much money (unless you sell coke or something) and I'm gonna say you'd be a fool to buy a car like that. Not trying to be a hater at all, but that's a rich man's car. Like others have said, be smart and don't waste $40K (plus all the other money you will INEVITABLY need to dump into it) just to show off. And I can't believe nobody has mentioned insurance. What's that gonna cost? Do you have a (heated) garage in which to store it? This isn't a car you wanna be parking outside all the time.

I know myself that when I'm trying to rationalize a big purchase I tend to ignore or argue with those who try to convince me otherwise, so I know you probably don't wanna hear all this. But there's a lot to think about. Just be honest with yourself. Like Rodo said - if 5k is a big deal for you, despite your best intentions, the car will probably go to shit in your hands. Oil changes at the dealer will be in the hundreds, and brake jobs probably a couple grand. that's your most BASIC maintenance.....And I'm willing to bet that you're not gonna be able to work on it with your Crappy Tire socket set. There's bound to be a bunch of expensive special tools you'll need, etc. etc. etc.......
Since i live at home, thats how i could make this move, saved a lot of the years thanks to the government, also, did my thing when i was younger, once i purchase this car, a year later i can have a house... with half paid off right when i step foot in it. With a bit of help from my girl! Im not a rich person at all! so i can't say i full deserve this car, but its very do-able in my case! I like to hear everyone's opinion! I really do... But basic maintenance im willing to dish out... and if worst comes to worst and something big goes on it, so be it... gotta pay to play, a common saying around here.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #74
topaz330ci
Bang Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
Are you talking about Tal from caliber?

btw,
mark.potter@morries.com

www.maseratiofminneapolis.com

Call that guy, that dealership has sold maz's to canada before. The mods aren't that bad,

good info:

http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3251

Ya tal from Caliber....

Ill look into the links, thanks! On that specific car, it only needs DRL's and thats it.. Like mentioned before, i dont need the cluster swapped out, just the temp and km to miles digitally!
Old 06-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #75
topaz330ci
Bang Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendered View Post
Don't be discouraged. He just wants you to buy from him!

Maserati is Italian Luxury at its finest! I wouldn't hesitate to buy one at all! Remember, whatever high end luxury car you buy, there's always going to be maintenance and repairs involved! Might as well go for something you enjoy!

You can easily get the Letter, and import any Maserati to Canada from the US.

I just brought in two for my customers! They're already sold though.
When you're ready, I'll give you some tips/help you out!

Recall clearance letter is easy. You just have to have the US Maserati dealer on your side. It comes from Maserati North America, and can be forwarded to any of their dealers. The recall letter is ussually $1,590US and $10,000 to change the instrument cluster and setup DRL's. You can select the KM/H option digitally through the cluster, this is sufficient, and DRL mod is easy, you can do it yourself.

DRL is easy. remove the switch assembly and superglue it in the ON position. Lights will still shut off when ignition is off. Works perfectly if you don't mind a little dirty work yourself.

You just have to get the recall letter, and tell RIV the modifcations are completed by the dealer. The letter should be forwarded to RIV from Maserati North America, or one of their dealers to make sure you don't run into any snags. I never pay for my recall letters due to all the business I give certain dealers, whom I always purchase US cars from for my customers. It helps when a Canadian dealer is asking for the letter from a US dealer. Dealers are nice to dealers, its just nature.

Anyways, you shouldn't have any issues importing one! And if you're too worried to do it on your own, I can help you out!

btw, you'd love what I just brought in from Florida...

2008 Maserati GranTurismo

2007 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT DuoSelect

Your crazy man! Those are two amazing machines! The GranTurismo is my all-time fav car! the S is even crazier, since it is a pretty heavy GT competitor!

Your a good guy, if i need help ill let you know! admissability letter and recall letters suck, i paid 1k to bmw to get my current car in, and now they dont even ask for those lol..... wish i could read the future!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: