Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-06-2011, 01:50 AM   #106
Mars
1st Gear Newbie

Hi, maybe late on this one, but anyway. Last week I was speaking with a guy at the RIV about this mather. He told me that himself have exported 3 cars already and the only thing that I need is Warranty Vehicle Inquiry, if you have trouble to get this paper from the dealer, only have to tell him that you won't buy the car, he will get it for you then. You don't need to change the cluster.
When you will receive the form #2 there will be stickers included.
Stick them over your existing cluster and you are on your way to Canadian Tire of course don't forget your daytime driving lights
BMW Canada didn’t scam you this time

Last edited by Mars; 09-06-2011 at 01:52 AM.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #107
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

Hey guys,

My uncle is looking to buy a 2010 camry hybrid from the states, the seller aggreed to drive the car across the border, what will he have to do to register it, and what will be the fees associated with it.

Which way would be cheaper?
e36 328is - (m52)AA S/c'd, M50 Mani, 3.23 LSD, M3 Brakes, Zimmer rotors, hps pads, Racing Dynamic Strut Bar, Depos, m3 Bumper, Intake, Spal fan, poly RTABs, Eibach Swaybars, Koni yellow, Mishimoto Rad, Silicone hose, Alumi T-housing, Depo w/LED Angels, LED tails, 12' Alpine Type R, Suede head liner, LTW Low rise spoiler
PREVIOUS CARS
92' 325is (m52) - M3 conversion AA S/c'd
'97 Euro Estroil E36 M3 Vert (S50B32)
iverson03tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #108
dcramer
5th Gear Member

go to riv.ca, I would not recommend this path. I would have your uncle go there and drive it across. The process is well documented on the RIV site.
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #109
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^this is good advice. keep in mind all 2010+ newer vehicles must have an immobilizer installed to pass RIV, as far as i've seen there are no exceptions (you can have an aftermarket one installed).

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:35 PM   #110
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Just curious as to what people did for getting their name on the title of the vehicle?

I am importing my first BMW right now and made the purchase, but the BMW dealer in the US I bought it from says to put my name on the cars title they have to submit it to the DMV, but the DMV wont put my name on with my canadian address?

How did others get their name on the title?
Old 01-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #111
propr'one
op sucks cock

^^you dont need your name on the title, it can be in their name with a bill of sale that shows the transfer.

Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
Old 01-31-2012, 07:43 PM   #112
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
^^you dont need your name on the title, it can be in their name with a bill of sale that shows the transfer.
So after I make the purchase, the title of the car will be in BMW Financial Services/Dealerships name.

I take that title with my bill of sale that has my name on it, and go to the border and import it (after emailing it and waiting 72hrs)?

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/bas...or_vehicle.xml

Here it does not specify the name on the title. So they should just send me the title they have without my name on it? Im just worried once I reach the border, they will seize the car.

Last edited by mkgino; 01-31-2012 at 07:49 PM.
mkgino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:08 PM   #113
propr'one
op sucks cock

Correct, title does not need to have your name when sent to US export office.

What did you buy/

hid headlights hid kit
Old 01-31-2012, 08:09 PM   #114
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
correct, title does not need to have your name when sent to us export office.

What did you buy/
2011 m3

Are you SURE about this? Anyone else want to comment for verification? Just worried about going through the whole driving to the border and getting turned back.

Last edited by mkgino; 01-31-2012 at 08:13 PM.
mkgino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:36 PM   #115
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Sure....

Now post pics!
Old 01-31-2012, 08:55 PM   #116
mudmojo
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgino View Post
2011 m3

Are you SURE about this? Anyone else want to comment for verification? Just worried about going through the whole driving to the border and getting turned back.

Assuming that motorcycle import rules are the same as auto import rules, then yes. I went with a buddy and a pickup truck down to NC to pick up a motorcycle, paid for it with cash and flatbedded it right back up. We were gone for no more than 48 hrs from start to finish.

Turns out, the title (or certificate of origin as it's called in certain states) was already faxed to the US export office in Lewiston days before we left for NC. I was hesitant about this myself since I don't believe this was specifically spelled out and I didn't want to spend another day or two waiting in Buffalo waiting for this to clear.

From what I've read, you can also take the car out of the US and bring the car into Canada with the knowledge that you cannot officially export or import it until your max-72 hr holdout period has elapsed. Then you can bring the car into the states again to do the paperwork when ready. Double check on that last piece of advise though. I've never done that myself.

For each of the cars that I've personally imported, way more than 72 hrs had elapsed before my arrival at the US export office. It would also be prudent to call the office a day ahead of your arrival time just to make sure they have the paperwork and that they'll be expecting you in a day's time.

E39 M5
mudmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:02 PM   #117
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Ok, we have established that the title does not have to be in my name. I have been reading some comments that the title has to be endorsed to me (ie by signing it on the back), but the BMW dealership said they dont do this since they are a reseller and not technically an owner.

They mentioned they are going to give me the title, with a stapled paper of assignment saying that they are assigning the title to me, but its my responsibility to go to the registration office (in this case it will be at the MTO), to get a title for the car in my name.

Sound right?
Old 01-31-2012, 09:46 PM   #118
mudmojo
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgino View Post
I am importing my first BMW right now and made the purchase, but the BMW dealer in the US I bought it from says to put my name on the cars title they have to submit it to the DMV, but the DMV wont put my name on with my canadian address?

How did others get their name on the title?
I think this is the crux of your problem that you should focus on. If you paid for it in full, it should be under your name... period. Sometimes a lien may take weeks to clear though. Is that the case?

More likely, the salesperson you are speaking to is ill informed. This is not uncommon. I have never heard of this myself. Not saying it cannot be but maybe there's an easy solution for you. Sounds like a simple administration issue.

Which state is the dealership in?

Of course, there may other extenuating circumstances that the dealership is trying to mitigate.

For example, I believe dealerships in California have to charge state sales taxes if the car is being driven off the dealership lot regardless if they live in Los Angeles or Miami or Toronto or Munich. That same dealership does not have to charge state tax if the car is shipped to its destination or picked up in, say, the AZ side of the AZ/CA border. In this instance, if they have to charge you sales tax, you will be less likely to buy the car from them. Think I also read that state sales taxes are refundable or something to that extent but that's a process I'd avoid at all costs.

If you don't get the title in your name after all, you should be able to still export it out of the US but I don't know if you can import it into Canada, federalize it and then later license it in the prov of Ontario.

Initially, I thought you were asking about the 72 hr fax only. For that, you do not need your name on the title however I am not sure if they will allow you to export without your actual name on the title.

I would think that Canadian used car dealers who specialize in acquiring and selling multiple USDM cars at once don't change ownership on the titles as that would devalue the car but that's just a guess.

E39 M5
mudmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:08 PM   #119
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Here is what I would like to know from someone who has done this when importing their BMW, bought from a BMW Dealership.

1. Does the title have to be in your name?
2. If so how did you register with the DMV with no US address?
3. If not, what paperwork did you receive from the BMW Dealership? Did they sign something to endorse you as the new owner on the title?
4. Were there issues with declaring the car at the Canadian Border if the name on the title does not match the persons name who is importing?
5. Was there an issue with registering at the MTO afterwards if the title does not match your name?
6. Does the BMW dealership sign the back of the title in the buyer/seller section, or is this only for private sales?

Someone who has gone through the process of importing without changing the title please comment.

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:13 AM   #120
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Also, does the canadian side need to be informed 72 hours in advance of crossing or is this only for the american side?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: