Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #91
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Ah, ok, although I heard porsche was extorting people as well. There are ways around the BMW extortion fee though. If you buy from a US dealer they can get the paper work but you have to negotiate this before you pay them.
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #92
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

looks like ill be going through this process soon!!!!!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #93
mousecrab
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer View Post
Ah, ok, although I heard porsche was extorting people as well. There are ways around the BMW extortion fee though. If you buy from a US dealer they can get the paper work but you have to negotiate this before you pay them.
When I called Porsche Canada customer service did tell me I MUST bring it into a Canadian dealership to get the recall clearance letter and the one from a US dealership won't work but Transport Canada site didn't mention that as a requirement for Porsche (it does for BMW) also the sales guy at US just went and gave me one for free.
I'll be going to crap tire to do the RIV inspection soon, will find out if Porsche Canada is full of it or not at that time.
mousecrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #94
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Neither Porsche or BMW require letters from Canadian dealerships. I used a letter from a US dealership for my BMW, even though it says right on the top "not for importing"

FWIW, I can still get letters from my source in the states for BMW. PM me if you are interested
Old 05-27-2011, 06:57 PM   #95
damameke
6th Gear Member

From what I had read the recall letter for BMW is not mandatory now, a printout from the US dealership should suffice...
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:56 PM   #96
Winnipeg335i
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by damameke View Post
From what I had read the recall letter for BMW is not mandatory now, a printout from the US dealership should suffice...
Negative, I tried this with my 3 series and it got flagged. I ended up paying for a BMW recall letter from a dealership in Toronto - Unity Auto, about $375 and they handled everything with RIV and bypassed the whole cluster/BMW Canada issue.

My cars registered here now + i got warranty too, my injectors just went :-\
Winnipeg335i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:51 AM   #97
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Yes the recall letter is mandatory for all vehicles, but the US service record works.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #98
kenmar
3rd Gear Member

Anybody here know if US Customs will keep you on a "black" list if you fail to get your paper work stamped for export? Last year, I called ahead at the Buffalo crossing per the rules, but missed the office because they didn't have good signage en-route to CDN customs. And since it was almost 4pm already on a holiday weekend on a FRI and they closed at 5, there was no chance of me turning around and going back.

Now I'm afraid to drive that vehicle back thru Buffalo since they can technically seize my vehicle due to export violations. I guess they couldn't seize a different vehicle if I were to drive that across the border, right?

Interestingly, getting your US ownership stamped for export is only a formality with the US side; the CDN side doesn't give a crap if you don't do it.
kenmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:38 PM   #99
mousecrab
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer View Post
Neither Porsche or BMW require letters from Canadian dealerships. I used a letter from a US dealership for my BMW, even though it says right on the top "not for importing"

FWIW, I can still get letters from my source in the states for BMW. PM me if you are interested
I can't say for BMW but Porsche is ok with a US letter.
I finally got everything done. The Canadian Tire inspection part was not fun as the first one i went did the RIV work in 20 min or so but they don't do safety for Porsche which is really stupid.
I then went to another store but have to wait all over again. After 4 hours of wait time and seeing the car got moved around a million times finally it was all done.
The recall letter is required but RIV didn't even ask for mine. They just did a check for the year and model I brought then i was clear.
My experience (non-BMW) of 'must bring it in to a Canadian dealership and will be taken care of' was total BS.
Make sure you have all the documents for licencing, the lady there told me many people didn't do the research and was missing documents.
Title, insurance, form 1, form 2, e-test cert, safety cert and the blue and white receipt at custom.
Good luck for all that are planning!
mousecrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:58 PM   #100
Winnipeg335i
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousecrab View Post
I can't say for BMW but Porsche is ok with a US letter.
I finally got everything done. The Canadian Tire inspection part was not fun as the first one i went did the RIV work in 20 min or so but they don't do safety for Porsche which is really stupid.
I then went to another store but have to wait all over again. After 4 hours of wait time and seeing the car got moved around a million times finally it was all done.
The recall letter is required but RIV didn't even ask for mine. They just did a check for the year and model I brought then i was clear.
My experience (non-BMW) of 'must bring it in to a Canadian dealership and will be taken care of' was total BS.
Make sure you have all the documents for licencing, the lady there told me many people didn't do the research and was missing documents.
Title, insurance, form 1, form 2, e-test cert, safety cert and the blue and white receipt at custom.
Good luck for all that are planning!
Porsche Canada doesn't give you the letter?!
Winnipeg335i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #101
conduct
1st Gear Newbie

Im importing an E30 from California, the car belongs to my wifes mom and she is giving it to us for free. Because it is older then 15 years, its exempt from RIV which includes the Recall as well as admissable letter... correct? Does anyone no if I need to do the cluster swap and DRL's because of its age?

My final question is do I have t pay the tax on its value or what we paid? Because we are getting the car for free, and it is also going into my wifes name, one family member to another, could this be a loophole?
conduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #102
dcramer
5th Gear Member

I would phone canada customs before I got to the border or a customs broker.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:39 AM   #103
nickdaytona
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conduct View Post
Im importing an E30 from California, the car belongs to my wifes mom and she is giving it to us for free. Because it is older then 15 years, its exempt from RIV which includes the Recall as well as admissable letter... correct? Does anyone no if I need to do the cluster swap and DRL's because of its age?

My final question is do I have t pay the tax on its value or what we paid? Because we are getting the car for free, and it is also going into my wifes name, one family member to another, could this be a loophole?
No RIV, no recall letter, no fee, no bull !!
You will probably have to pay tax on any red book value associated with it.
Cluster change ? Only if there are no km on it and you can get away with the stickers due to,...wait for it.. NO RIV !!

Love it when the gov't and also bmw canada don't get their extortion money.

Enjoy your new 30 !
1968 Ford Mustang-Noni's summer car
1972 '02- son Alexs' first car
1997 BMW 740iL-Moms' pimp car
1990 GTR - the missile
1990 VW Corrado-422 HP @ 23Lbs.
1975 Kawi Z-1 900
Assorted dirt machines
nickdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #104
98M3NACE
3rd Gear Member

Read through this thread and this hasn't been touched on yet. Can you buy a new 2011 model BMW straight from a dealership there, or does a car have to be used in order for you to import it to Canada? Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #105
dcramer
5th Gear Member

canada customs has no issue with it, but I am fairly sure no US BMW dealer will sell you one unless you have a US address.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: